• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!

Welcome to NES! You can still apply for your LTC, but your current unlicensed possession of a firearm is illegal. I would let a licensed individual take possession until you get your LTC.

thanks kevlar. would the best thing to do be join a gun club (find someone there to take the firearm till licensing)/sign up for a safety class in the interim while applying for the LTC? do not know anyone in the state who has a LTC currently.

igzolt, if I were you I'd rent some storage in NH for the gun until the LTC comes in.

So, considering they took their guns with them when they moved into MA, after they get a LTC/FID, do they have to register them now or are they exempt because thhe came in with them? Does the fact that they waited a year later to try to get a FID have any bearing on them moving with the guns? How about if they came in with them and let a MA friend of theirs (with LTC) hold onto them ever since?

Just trying to make sense of the mess.

Last edited:
So, considering he took his guns with him when he moved into MA, after he gets a LTC/FID, does he have to register them now or is he exempt because he came in with them?

Exempt from registration pursuant to M.G.L. c.140 s.129C(j)

Does the fact that he waited a year later to try to get a FID have any bearing on him moving with the guns?

No. The issue now is unlicensed possession beyond the 60 day grace period.

How about if he came in with them and let a MA friend of his (with LTC) hold onto them ever since?

Perfectly legal.

That's good to hear. I know someone that moved to MA about 1 1/2 years ago from a free state with 3-4 handguns. They gave them to a MA friend (with a LTC) to keep/use ever since. They didn't think much of it and recently began to become interested in their rights again.

So they were urged to take a course and recently did, so they are on the route to hopefully a LTC. If I understand everything (thanks for the reply, Kevlar) correctly, once they get their LTC they can retrieve the handguns from their MA friend and not have to file and FA 10, or anything else?

Would they ever have to prove they were obtained out of state? How could they do this from a free state?

Tahnks!

Basically, for a Semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine or fixed magazine holding over ten rounds, (other than a fixed, tubular magazine .22 rifle), you can have one of the following: Pistol grip, flash suppressor, threaded muzzle or flash suppressor, collapsible/folding stock, bayonet lug, grenade launcher.

FIFY

Welcome to NES!

...should I be concerned at all about the terms of my LTC being altered as a result of living in Somerville?

The terms of your current LTC can only be modified by the issuing authority (Westborough). Upon renewal, it is possible to be downgraded (though I cannot speak to Somerville's practices/policies specifically.)

Secondly, as I have yet to bring any firearms into MA, I am slightly confused about whether I must submit FA10s when I do bring some items back next time I am up there.

Yes, you must file a FA-10 for each firearm within 7 days of entering the state. Check "Registration" and complete the form, leaving the "Seller" section blank.

ETA: All firearms and magazines introduced into the state must be AWB compliant.

Yes, you must file a FA-10 for each firearm within 7 days of entering the state. Check "Registration" and complete the form, leaving the "Seller" section blank.
Absolutely incorrect.

Residents who acquire guns out of state (long guns or handguns via inheritance) must file and FA-10.

There is no statutory requirement that someone moving to the state file an FA-10 on guns they bring with them.

Rob, the OP didn't bring the guns when he moved...

I left my collection up in Maine

...If they were not brought in at the time of the move, FA-10s are required if/when they enter the state.

ETA: From vellnueve's OP in this thread...

If you choose to leave your firearms and bring them later, you will need to file an FA-10 form with the Criminal History Systems Board for each firearm brought in later (plus any firearms you buy in MA). These forms can be obtained from your local PD.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the quick responses; MA gun law is a laughable minefield. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this stuff baffling...

To avoid all the AWB insanity, I think I will just bring a Taurus PT1911 and a Sig P238 for CCW. Maybe my 860 tactical for HD. That means leaving AR, AK, Saiga-12, M9, G19, P226 etc. I could get 10 round mags for the 9mms, but I don't want to spend money on items that inherently contradict the base design of double stack pistols. It's the principle of the thing. Also, my Outback II .22 suppressor and several threaded .22s will probably stay put in the pinetree state.

I suppose 3 FA10s won't be so bad. Guess I'll have to invest in a new safe...

To avoid all the AWB insanity, I think I will just bring a Taurus PT1911 and a Sig P238 for CCW. Maybe my 860 tactical for HD. That means leaving AR, AK, Saiga-12, M9, G19, P226 etc. I could get 10 round mags for the 9mms, but I don't want to spend money on items that inherently contradict the base design of double stack pistols. It's the principle of the thing. Also, my Outback II .22 suppressor and several threaded .22s will probably stay put in the pinetree state.

I suppose 3 FA10s won't be so bad. Guess I'll have to invest in a new safe...

Silencers are illegal for anyone other than a law enforcement agency to possess in Mass., so definitely don't bring the can. And although fairly rare, you can pick up pre-ban high cap mags for the 9mm's that you listed.

So it looks like I will be moving to Mass. sometime over the next 8 months. Currently I reside in GA. I came to this forum to get some info on the gun laws and so forth, and my first impression is basically complete disbelief! How the hell do you guys live under this weight of control and oppression? Talk about turn a right into a privilege [frown] - you have no 2A rights any more - what the hell happened? I figured GA was restrictive, but at least I don't have to beg in order to just posses a firearm.

Anyway, I have a ton of questions; most of which I am getting answers to from scanning the threads here but there are a couple that I haven't got answers to, so I figured I post them, and I'm sure someone will point me in the right direction.

My first question concerns high capacity magazines. I'm a custom gear maker (http://www.retro-tactical.com) and have an extensive library of magazines that I need for pattern making. Is there an exception at all for manufacturers or business to own high capacity magazines?

The second and follow on question would be; if there is no exception, could I remove the internals of the mags so I am just left with the body or shell, making the mags non functional? That would still work for pattern making, although it seems a shame to destroy the mags just because some bureaucrat has his panties in a wad.

I'm also trying to figure out what I can and can't bring into the state. For instance - I own an AR15 lower (no upper) - how is this handled?
Why do I have to register all of my guns?
Is there a definitive list of what I can and can't bring. I find mention of lists but I can't find anything definitive.

And lastly (for now) - I saw it recommended in another thread that I join a gun club. Whats that all about?

Welcome to NES!

My first question concerns high capacity magazines. I'm a custom gear maker (http://www.retro-tactical.com) and have an extensive library of magazines that I need for pattern making. Is there an exception at all for manufacturers or business to own high capacity magazines?

Only if you are a FFL licensed under M.G.L. c.140 s.122. (As per M.G.L. c.140 s.131M)

The second and follow on question would be; if there is no exception, could I remove the internals of the mags so I am just left with the body or shell, making the mags non functional?

Not sure (but I don't believe so).

I'm also trying to figure out what I can and can't bring into the state. For instance - I own an AR15 lower (no upper) - how is this handled?

Under MA law, a lower is not considered a firearm.

Why do I have to register all of my guns?

You don't have to register any firearms you bring with you at the time of the move. Any firearms entering the state subsequently must be registered.

Is there a definitive list of what I can and can't bring. I find mention of lists but I can't find anything definitive.

You can bring any firearm except post-ban assault weapons and post-ban large capacity magazines.

And lastly (for now) - I saw it recommended in another thread that I join a gun club. Whats that all about?

So you have somewhere to shoot.

Only if you are a FFL licensed under M.G.L. c.140 s.122. (As per M.G.L. c.140 s.131M)
I'm not familiar with Mass laws and the link doesn't tell me much. How simple is the FFL application process and any idea what the cost is?
I'd rather not have to get an FFL and have the .gov in my business, but I'm figuring at this point I have to choose between that or being a criminal.

You don't have to register any firearms you bring with you at the time of the move. Any firearms entering the state subsequently must be registered.
OK, I was under the impression that one needed to list the firearms owned when you apply for your carry permit/license? I thought I saw somewhere that they list your carry weapon serial number on your license but then I've been reading a lot lately and that may have been something else.

You can bring any firearm except post-ban assault weapons and post-ban large capacity magazines.
See here is where my confusion stems from. What the hell is a post ban assault weapon? I have no select fire weapons at all, all of mine are semi auto, but then I keep seeing references to SKS/AR/AK etc... all of which I own.
There is no definitive list?

So you have somewhere to shoot.[/QUOTE]
There are no public ranges?
What about your own property?

Welcome and sympathies!

You can NOT get an FFL unless you meet the following minimum criteria:

- Building MUST NOT be zoned residential, must be zoned business/commercial.
- You have to show intent in selling guns.
- You need to get a state permit as well as the FFL and the town decides yes or no. NOT easy to do and costly. Town can throw in all sorts of requirements (alarms, CCTV, etc.) and some just will refuse to issue it (they have discretion to do that for no reason).

No exemption for mfr of non-guns wrt large capacity mags made after 9/13/1994 and removal of parts won't meet the law.

MA has the same AWB that the Feds had until 2004. Basically, No semi autos (rifle/shotgun) with flash hiders, bayonet lug, collapsible or folding stock.

You need a LTC in order to possess any guns, mags, ammo or ammo components. NO guns get put on your LTC, you can own/possess whatever type guns are allowed for your class of permit. [NY lists handguns on permits and I think IL does on FOIDs as well.]

Any guns (complying with AWB/hi-cap ban) moving in with you do NOT need to be registered with the state. You have 60 days to obtain your LTC upon moving in. Any guns moved into MA AFTER you move in or acquired elsewhere and brought into MA must be registered with the state via an FA-10 form within 7 days of crossing the border.

I'm not familiar with Mass laws and the link doesn't tell me much. How simple is the FFL application process and any idea what the cost is? I'd rather not have to get an FFL and have the .gov in my business, but I'm figuring at this point I have to choose between that or being a criminal.

Len gave a good rundown. Also explained in this sticky...http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/27727-Home-FFL-In-Massachusetts

...I was under the impression that one needed to list the firearms owned when you apply for your carry permit/license? I thought...they list your carry weapon serial number on your license...

Nope.

See here is where my confusion stems from. What the hell is a post ban assault weapon? I have no select fire weapons at all, all of mine are semi auto, but then I keep seeing references to SKS/AR/AK etc... all of which I own. There is no definitive list?

"Post-Ban" means manufactured after 9/13/94.

"Large Capacity" means a capacity in excess of 10 rounds.

"Assault Weapon" is defined in M.G.L. c.140 s.121 and 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(30)

There are no public ranges?

Very few.

What about your own property?

Legal in some circumstances, pursuant to M.G.L. c.269 s.12E (more than 500 feet from a structure in use without permission), and c.131 s.58 (more than 150 feet from roadway). Additionally, some municipalities have ordinances prohibiting discharge of firearms and/or noise ordinances.

Urg, this is depressing.
I guess I could keep my AK as long as I get some low capacity mags?
The sks with a 10 round mag is ok - right now it has a 20 round Tapco mag on it.
What about a Kel-tec Sub2000? Are those ok?

My usual carry gun is a Glock 19, but I guess I'll replace that with a revolver, so I don't have the high cap mag issue.
The big issue for me is still the high cap mags for business - Im thinking at this time I'll just become an outlaw. ;)

...I guess I could keep my AK as long as I get some low capacity mags?

Yes, provided it's not a "post-ban assault weapon".

The sks with a 10 round mag is ok

Yes.

What about a Kel-tec Sub2000?

OK with non-large capacity or pre-ban large capacity mags.

My usual carry gun is a Glock 19, but I guess I'll replace that with a revolver, so I don't have the high cap mag issue.

Pre-ban large capacity mags are available for the G19.

The big issue for me is still the high cap mags for business - Im thinking at this time I'll just become an outlaw. ;)

Just be aware that possession of a single post-ban large capacity magazine is a felony with a potential penalty of $10,000/10 years in prison. Conviction would also render one a federally prohibited person for life.

Back
Top Bottom