55gr powder choice

I got this list of favorite powders for 55gr bullets from Handloaders dot com. I would like to make a list of powders that can be used for 55gr bullets when loading .223 to keep in my truck.

Every time I go into a gun store the most popular powders for 55gr 223 are gone. I would think that Varget would be the 1st choice. But after that I have no idea which one to choose over another. I want to buy a large amount of the same powder [24 pounds] and was wondering if any of these would be a bad choice. Or if some one could rank these in order of the the best choice.

Varget

H335

Win 748

H322

AA 2015

AR 2230

AR2207

H4895

IMR3031

Reloader 12

reloader 15

Reloader 7

I've used 748, H335, and AA2230. So far I like the 2230 best and it seems is
one of the less expensive powders. Seems that most AA powders run a bit
lower on price. I use a lot of different AA powders and those I use seem to
be excellent so I don't think the fact that they are less expensive means
anything except to your purse.

Last edited:
If I am reading your post literally, you are going to buy a large quantity of powder to keep in your truck....... Did I get that right????

Ummmmmmmmmmm.... Don't drive your truck through Oklahoma City.......

[rofl]

I only use BLC(2) powder for reloading 5.56 (.223 Rem) loads with 55 gr bullets. It's cheap, it's readily available. And, it burns clean, while not requiring a lot to do it's job.

No, I want to keep a list of the best powders in my truck so when I go to different gunstores I know what I'm looking for.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. Gotcha......

Again, my suggestion is the BLC(2) made by Hodgdon.

Go to Hodgdon.com site, and find the reload data center info.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

After agreeing to be safe, Select Cartridge Loads

Then select Pistol or Rifle, and then caliber. It will give you a complete listing of what can be used, how much, etc. An excellent resource. You can print out the data sheet(s), and keep it with you in the truck.

So which is the powder that meters the best and is the least dirty? [laugh]

-Mike

I use Winchester748 because it flows well through the powder measure and I get great accuracy. I'd stay away from the stick powders with that tiny case. For simplicity and economy I use 748 to load all my bottle neck cartridges

I use h335, h322, h4198 and i just got som BLC2 to try some test loads.
Alot of people don't like h4198 due to metering problems, but my dillon powder measure does a good job with it +- 1/10 of a grain. The main reasion i use this powder is h335 couldn't be found this past winter and i got an 8lb kegs for a good price.

I use Winchester748 because it flows well through the powder measure and I get great accuracy. I'd stay away from the stick powders with that tiny case. For simplicity and economy I use 748 to load all my bottle neck cartridges

I did observe that as well. I may get a pound of 748 to test it out.. then I will have to weight that against standardizing on one powder

I've been getting outstanding accuracy with 25.0 grains of A2230 and 55gr Hornady FMJBT bullets. Ask anybody who's shot them.

I'll second A2230. The A2230 55gr's are definitely more accurate than the H335 loads I've been using. You can't go wrong with A2230.

I normally use about 25gr of H335 (IIRC w/o looking at my load data downstairs) with either a 55gr FMJBT or 42gr Sinterfire frangible for practice & plinking. Works great with both & I also use it for loading .308.

I use Winchester748 because it flows well through the powder measure and I get great accuracy. I'd stay away from the stick powders with that tiny case.

I agree. My "range loads" are loaded with bulk Winchester 55-gr FMJs and 26.0 gr. of Win 748. Brass is mixed headstamp, and while they are cleaned and trimmed as needed, I don't take the same care loading as I do, for instance, with .308 precision rounds (where brass is pedigreed and babied, and charges are trickled). That said, this load gives me pretty consistent 1 MOA from a bone stock M4 clone.

I once tried to measure the variability of Win 748 charges thrown by my RCBS powder measure (which I have done with other powders). The effort failed, since all of my charges deviated from the target setting by too little to measure. Stuff meters like water.

I also use 748 for a bunch of other cartridges (though it is not, by any means, a universal powder). For the 5.56, I elect not to use "magnum" primers, and have never had an ignition issue or apparent impact on accuracy.

Last edited:
I just bought some BL-(C)2 so we'll see how it goes.

Up until now all my .223 reloads have been heavy bullets (75 and 80 grains) and in that application Reloder 15 is an amazing propellant.

I've been trying different powders in two AR's. One has a 1in7" twist, the other is 1in7.7". The test loads have been with 55gr bullets, soft points with a cannelure, from 2 different manufacturers.

So far, I've had very good results with the following:

H322 powder, 21.5gr

H335 powder, 23.0gr

H4895 powder, 25.6gr

Varget powder, 26.2gr

I've done limited testing with 69gr bullets; Speer, IIRC. I've only tried Varget powder with these, but 25.2gr seems to be the sweet spot with the 1in7.7" barrel.

DISCLAIMER: These loads were not max loads according to my manuals. You should verify all load data yourself before using any of this information.

Back
Top Bottom