Replacement for a broken Para Ordnance power extractor

Does anyone know if there are suitable replacements for the power extractor that is currently being used in Para Ordnance's guns? The extractor in my gun broke this morning and I would rather replace it with a good quality part instead of getting the same POS MIM part from Para.

Thanks

I'm not sure where to get aftermarket replacement parts for the powerextractor assembly, but please tell, which part broke?

The claw, the base, or the spring?

I looked around quickly for you. I don't think you'll be able to find a forged claw for the PXT. You could have a machinist make you one, but I'd think that would be insanely expensive.

After doing a quick search about the Power Extractor, it appears to be dimensionally different from the standard 1911. In other words, I'm not sure a standard extractor will fit. I suggest you call up Dave Santurri or Greg Derr. They may have more definitive knowledge.

If a standard extractor can fit, either could set you up for short money and it will work the first time. A lot less aggravating than going for another round with PO.

The standard extractor won't fit. Para really did it this time. They replaced the tried and true JMB part with their new model and did it in such a way that you are stuck with the new part.

I've found a potential replacement. It is made by a company called Evolution Gun Works. I got an email from them which stated that their HD extractor will work with a Para but requires the use of some kind of a sleeve which they also manufacture. I have not head back regarding the sleeve and how exactly it is installed.

It is made by a company called Evolution Gun Works.
EGW is run by George Smith, and absolute master of a gunsmith and honorable person to do business with. If he says he has a solution, sending him your $$ would be a safe bet. Tell him I said hi.

EGW is run by George Smith, and absolute master of a gunsmith and honorable person to do business with. If he says he has a solution, sending him your $$ would be a safe bet. Tell him I said hi.

Thanks for the heads up. It was actually George who responded to my email. I thought he was just some customer service rep. [smile] I will give him a call tomorrow to see what's what.

Last edited:

+1 on Evolution and Mr. Smith. I have done business with them in the past with great results.

+1

Im curious as well. I have a warthog with a broken extractor. Replacement from brownells is pushing $90.00, without any upgrade to the part.
I had talked to EGW also. Now Im curious if you did it, and were able to do it yourself

Im curious as well. I have a warthog with a broken extractor. Replacement from brownells is pushing $90.00, without any upgrade to the part.
I had talked to EGW also. Now Im curious if you did it, and were able to do it yourself

I have checked out the extractor on the EGW web site. It appears to be a 1911 style extractor with a thicker body to fit the larger hole in the slide that housed the Para "new and improved" version. The difficult part of the swap would be adjusting or "tuning" the extractor. I wouldn't hesitate to try it. If you failed, you can ship the gun and part to a gunsmith for this "tuning". I think getting rid of the new Para extractor is a real good idea. I had one in a carry model that gave me some problems. My solution was to get rid of the pistol.

I think the best replacement for any Para part is a whole Smith and Wesson... I did that when a Para locked up on me. I made the dealer take it back and bought a Smith.

Back
Top Bottom