• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

55 miles with BAOFENG F8HP !!!

Wow,,, just hit Paxton repeater from Assonet Mass with 8 watts and a homebrew Slim Jim made from 450 ladder line. Talked on George Old Timers Net and came thru clear. I am impressed.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Do you have a power meter handy? I bought 2 different model Baofeng "HP" 8W radios during Amazon Prime day, both turned out to be a re-labeled 5W models.

No power meter,,, but I did talk to Paxton ! And for the money I like the radio,,,, as a new ham it suits my needs well.

Well, I think a lot of the credit goes to the repeater itself and your homebrew antenna.

Don't get me wrong...I own two UV-82s and two TYT tri-banders and they work great...but at the end of the day, it's all about the antenna you use AND how high up you can get it.

Congrats on hitting the repeater. I think the math I did on Paxton shows that its VHF horizon is about 52 miles.

I have since done this a couple times,,,, Slim Jim is a great little antenna and I love hilltops!

Back
Top Bottom