• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

53a-217b: School Grounds Clarification

I've seen this come up in a few threads here, so I contacted CT Judicial Law Library for clarification.

Below is a copy of the response I received from the librarian.

To:XXXXXXXXXX
Subject:RE: Question about 53a-217b
Date:Monday, February 11, 2008 11:14:11 AM

Even if you have a permit , it is a crime to possess a firearm on school grounds
or at school-sponsored activities.

Roseann Canny

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:55 PM
To: Canny, Roseann
Subject: Question about 53a-217b

Roseann,

I hope this is the correct place to direct questions regarding CT laws.

I have a question about CT law "53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on
school grounds".

I have a valid CT Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers, but I am unsure
if this permits me to carry on school grounds. Does the pistol permit
make me "licensed and privileged" as stated 53a-217b?

For example, while carrying my handgun, would it be considered illegal
for me to goto Rockville High School to vote this November? Can I goto
UCONN's campus to shop or watch a game?

Thanks for your help,

XXXXXXXXXX

So long as you understand that a law librarian's opinion is just one more person's opinion.

That said, the words of the statute seem pretty clear to me: "licensed and privileged" in sub-section (a) is defined in sub-section (b). If you're not in (b), you're not "licensed and privileged."

Last edited:
.... and i was told by a uconn cop that carrying on campus is not against the law, just against school policy. the law only says primary and secondary schools. still, there is much debate as to whether carrying at colleges and universities can land you in trouble....

I'd be very interested to see if people get arrested, charged, or convicted for carrying on CT college campuses. I'll do some searching to try and find an annual police report from some CT college campuses that shows how many arrests of each type they've had, and if anyone's hit with carrying in a school zone. I'll post whatever I find.

I looked around this website:

http://www.police.uconn.edu/ucr/2006/storrs/index.html

It says that on the campus, there were no weapons violations that campus police dealt with in 2004, 2005 or 2006. Further down on the page it states in the "Weapons on Campus" section:

"Weapons on Campus
Possession and/or use of firearms, fireworks, dangerous weapons and hazardous chemicals is strictly prohibited and in many cases violates State law. This applies to students and employees except where authorized to handle weapons or chemicals. (See Student Conduct Code and General Rules of Conduct for Employees as published by Labor Relations."

Nice and vague, but again, you'd think if firearms weren't allowed, they'd be quick to point that out like they do with their drug and alcohol policies.

http://www.police.uconn.edu/ucr/index.html

If you look through the reports listed there, it looks like there hasn't been a single arrest or charge for weapons on any of their campuses.

Again, this is only one university, and I'm not implying that no arrest equals no crime, but I'll keep looking.

From another University
http://www.bridgeport.edu/pages/2627.asp

By the bottom of the page there's a list of prohibited items, then it says:

"City of Bridgeport police officers may be consulted. Any prohibited items must be turned over to the police immediately for inspection and possible arrest. In addition, if any University of Bridgeport student is found to be in possession of a gun, other weapon, or item with the appearance of a weapon, the security officer must report his or her name to the Dean of Students, his/her designee and the Faculty/Student advisor. If the student or guest is neither subject to arrest nor to report to the University, the student or guest will still be asked to leave the premise of the social event."

Again, vague, but it would seem that a gun can get you in trouble with administration, but not necessarily with the police.

Southern COnnecticut State University

Their school policy on guns:
http://www.southernct.edu/employment/uploads/textWidget/wysiwyg/documents/Firearms_Policy.doc

Then for a definition of weapons violations:
http://www.southernct.edu/universitypolice/policeservices/definitions/

"WEAPONS VIOLATION: A weapons violation is the possession, use, sale, purchase, or transfer of any weapon, including but not limited to firearms, electronic defense weapons, edged weapons, martial arts weapons, in violation of the laws of the state of Connecticut and/or policies of Southern Connecticut State University."

Use Google or something, I'm sure you can find more, I did and randomly chose three schools with their policies online. None of this means crap without an authoritative legal figure clarifying it (like the district attorney or attorney general, IMHO), but again, the law doesn't mention colleges or universities, and the campus police don't say anywhere that it's a crime, it's listed as more of an administrative disciplinary issue.

Look into it as deep as you can before decideing anything, be careful, and tell us the details if you get arrested for doing it. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom