Complete noob question on form 20s - are you filling the forms out for specific reasons and for specific dates that you will be taking your SBR out of state for 2018, or are you doing more of a 'blanket' coverage thing e.g. putting in a longer range of dates to cover you if and when you decide to take it out of state (say on a whim, shooting with a friend, etc)?

I used to put in for a whole year, but be specific with the destination(s).

I don't have to do it any more (and you shouldn't after July either) :)

Complete noob question on form 20s - are you filling the forms out for specific reasons and for specific dates that you will be taking your SBR out of state for 2018, or are you doing more of a 'blanket' coverage thing e.g. putting in a longer range of dates to cover you if and when you decide to take it out of state (say on a whim, shooting with a friend, etc)?

EC is correct, of course, but make sure you realize a year is, for example, 1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018. They will reject a Form 20 with 1 Jan 2018 - 1 Jan 2019.

Also, realize once you're approved to a location in the state, you're good for the entire state. The ATF regulates interstate movement of the weapon, but not intrastate movement.

EC is correct, of course, but make sure you realize a year is, for example, 1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018. They will reject a Form 20 with 1 Jan 2018 - 1 Jan 2019.

Also, realize once you're approved to a location in the state, you're good for the entire state. The ATF regulates interstate movement of the weapon, but not intrastate movement.

I did the blanket coverage thing by providing the most likely gun club address and "other locations within the state" and got approval. I need to check the dates on mine and make sure I submit new ones before the existing ones lapse.

I did the blanket coverage thing by providing the most likely gun club address and "other locations within the state" and got approval. I need to check the dates on mine and make sure I submit new ones before the existing ones lapse.

I did this once and it got rejected. It's probably one of those things that depends on who looks at the form.

I've never added "and other locations." I've always just entered one location.

I've seen other people report that "other locations" has been getting forms sent back.

I listed the address on each form 20 and got each one back approved.

I had read here last year that they no longer were giving blanket locations/areas.

I've been rejected for "and other locations". they told me to put one location, after that its out of their hands what you do once your in the state.

I didn't ask for it in writing, noone is ever going to ask to see your .20.. form 4 maybe.. but not your .20.

I've been rejected for "and other locations". they told me to put one location, after that its out of their hands what you do once your in the state.

I didn't ask for it in writing, noone is ever going to ask to see your .20.. form 4 maybe.. but not your .20.

Yup. As I said above, the ATF only regulates (and presumably cares about) interstate movement of the weapon, not intrastate movement.

You fill out a Form 20 because the weapon is crossing state lines. Where it roams within that state is outside their jurisdiction and control.

Not to dupe my other thread, but by mail i was approved 8 days after mailing and it took 2 weeks to receive it back...while i hate doing it on principal. Its pretty painless.

They are present when the form is printed. I signed my spot regardless (over the 'X'). We'll see if it flies. If they reject it, I'll resubmit with a clear signature. Thanks.

I signed and mailed on 3-25-2020.
They signed and stamped it on 4-24-2020
The 3 of them just came in today's mail.

One returned by the same agent who signed the other 2 wanting a copy of my MA LTC. WTF?? That's a first!!!
Little slow at BATFE. Gotta wonder who was laid off. LOL

Last edited:
Yup. As I said above, the ATF only regulates (and presumably cares about) interstate movement of the weapon, not intrastate movement.

You fill out a Form 20 because the weapon is crossing state lines. Where it roams within that state is outside their jurisdiction and control.

Not questioning your answer - but do you have any sources? Trying to determine how many form 20’s I need and, no offense, but “I read it on the internet” probably won’t cover my ass.

I read this on NationalGunTrusts.com:

If you are taking your NFA firearms to multiple locations in other states, are you required to submit one ATF 5320.20 or do need to submit multiple ATF 5320.20 forms? The answer is according to the ATF, you will need to submit multiple ATF 5320.20 forms. If you are traveling with your NFA firearms to another state, but are traveling to multiple locations. For example, you are transporting your NFA firearms from Florida to Texas, but you are going to be going to a few ranges, a hunt, etc, you will need to submit an ATF 5320.20 form for each address that you will be transporting your NFA firearms to.

Bump this thread with an update.

Permanent move to different state.

Emailed 5320.20 on 3/30/21
Called ATF and was told it was approved on 4/15/21
Received approval in the mail 4/30/21
Agents name: Ashley N.

Back
Top Bottom