• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog the Bounty Hunter's Bullet Proof Vest

Reptile

NES Member
I've been watching this tonight.

He wears a bullet proof vest before he goes on a mission.

I can't find pictures of it, but it looks like it just covers the vital areas.

Does anybody know what brand it is?

It would be difficult to tell particularily since the panels on the inside may come from a completely different manufacturer than the carrier that is outwardly visible. The carrier could even be home or custom made.

Larry Eugene Phillips, Jr. and Emil Matasareanu - the North Hollywood bank robbery shootout guys - made their own body armor.

Interesting.

I'm looking for something comfy and maneuverable that I can throw on quick in case an intruder breaks in.

Interesting.

I'm looking for something comfy

You can give up right now. Level IIa kevlar, the lowest rating capable of stopping 9mm fmj or .38special ball, feels like wearing a jacket lined with the sunday newspaper. Level IIIa kevlar, which ups you to .357mag, feels like wearing a jacket lined with the black friday newspaper.

Sure, Spectraflex (a different fiber, glued together in parallel and then interleaved at 90' angles) is lighter weight and stronger per ply than woven kevlar, but that doesn't lead to lighter ballistic panels - manufacturers instead used it to get the panels higher ratings for the same weight.

Interesting.

I'm looking for something comfy and maneuverable that I can throw on quick in case an intruder breaks in.

Interesting thought. I'm not sure how much experience you have with ballistic vests, but 9.9 times out of 10, they aren't something that you can throw on quick enough in a situation such as an intruder, especially if you want them to be effective. If they are coming into your house to get YOU, I doubt you would have time. If they are in your house to take your posessions, I seriously doubt they would risk trying to take something out of your bedroom with you in it.

Now, I don't want to go opening this into a can of worms with regard to tactics, defensive outlooks and what not, but based on your interest in body armor, it sounds as though you plan to hunt the intruder down once he's in your house. If you're working alone, that isn't something I would consider tactically sound. If you haven't tried it, get some air soft guns and a buddy and see how well you do. Then do the same drill, but take up that defensive position at the top of your stairs and see who comes out on top.

Assuming you can account for everyone living in your house, why not just take up a defensive post at the top of the stairs with Ol' Betsy (12ga of your choice loaded with 00 Buck) and wait out the badguy/police arrival.

Back on topic a bit:
Granted you could leave the side straps undone and just whip it over your head, but without synching them down afterwards, the vest isn't very helpful, as it would be flopping around and not covering your sides.

I have used both IIA and IIIA vests extensively and aside from being hot and uncomfortable, the first thing I learned is that no body armor is "comfy." It doesn't exist. The only thing is really changes in terms of maneuverability is when you have to shoulder a rifle/shotgun as your shoulder pocket has extra padding, which can make shouldering a bit tricky. Any other limitations I feel I could work through if I ever found myself in a tough spot... ie slightly hindered flexibility.

There is my .02 and a little extra. Sorry about that. Hope something in there is helpful to you. [wink]

You can give up right now. Level IIa kevlar, the lowest rating capable of stopping 9mm fmj or .38special ball, feels like wearing a jacket lined with the sunday newspaper. Level IIIa kevlar, which ups you to .357mag, feels like wearing a jacket lined with the black friday newspaper.

Not really..In the part of "Newspaper" I was wearing my IIA during the past NES 2008 Pumpkin Shoot...
IMG_2419.jpg

It is when I put on the threat level IV vest it get's bulky!
IMG_2424.jpg

Cuda444,

I have learned not to be stupid and clear my house in the LFI-1 class.

I will not get into my tactics, but it is not reckless and is much like you described.

BillK,

That emblem on your vest looks like the one on the Dog show.
This warrants further investigation, but I like your vest. That is what I am looking for I think.
I have confirmed by sight that they use the Safariland Zero G vest.

I think I like Second Chance better though.

How can I get a new one here in Mass?

Last edited:
get an hsgi wasatch and some level III multi hit sapi plates...leave the satch a lil loose and you can toss it right on over your year...or leave 1 side unbuckled and slide it on that way

OK since Dog has a felony record, (something they don't tell you about) I thought felons were precluded from owning body armor. As Beth owns the business (I think) that may be his loophole

In Pampa, Texas on September 16, 1976 he was charged with Homicide. On August 18, 1977 he began serving a five-year sentence and paroled on January 31, 1979. His parole was terminated on December 20, 1980.

U.S. Code as of: 01/19/04
Section 931. Prohibition on purchase, ownership, or possession of body armor by violent felons

(a) In General. - Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall
be unlawful for a person to purchase, own, or possess body armor,
if that person has been convicted of a felony that is -
(1) a crime of violence (as defined in section 16); or
(2) an offense under State law that would constitute a crime of
violence under paragraph (1) if it occurred within the special
maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

(b) Affirmative Defense. -
(1) In general. - It shall be an affirmative defense under this
section that -
(A) the defendant obtained prior written certification from
his or her employer that the defendant's purchase, use, or
possession of body armor was necessary for the safe performance
of lawful business activity; and
(B) the use and possession by the defendant were limited to
the course of such performance.

(2) Employer. - In this subsection, the term "employer" means
any other individual employed by the defendant's business that
supervises defendant's activity. If that defendant has no
supervisor, prior written certification is acceptable from any
other employee of the business.

OK since Dog has a felony record, (something they don't tell you about) I thought felons were precluded from owning body armor. As Beth owns the business (I think) that may be his loophole

In Pampa, Texas on September 16, 1976 he was charged with Homicide. On August 18, 1977 he began serving a five-year sentence and paroled on January 31, 1979. His parole was terminated on December 20, 1980.

U.S. Code as of: 01/19/04
Section 931. Prohibition on purchase, ownership, or possession of body armor by violent felons

(a) In General. - Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall
be unlawful for a person to purchase, own, or possess body armor,
if that person has been convicted of a felony that is -
(1) a crime of violence (as defined in section 16); or
(2) an offense under State law that would constitute a crime of
violence under paragraph (1) if it occurred within the special
maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

(b) Affirmative Defense. -
(1) In general. - It shall be an affirmative defense under this
section that -
(A) the defendant obtained prior written certification from
his or her employer that the defendant's purchase, use, or
possession of body armor was necessary for the safe performance
of lawful business activity; and
(B) the use and possession by the defendant were limited to
the course of such performance.

(2) Employer. - In this subsection, the term "employer" means
any other individual employed by the defendant's business that
supervises defendant's activity. If that defendant has no
supervisor, prior written certification is acceptable from any
other employee of the business.

I think the part I bolded in your post is the loophole of which you speak.

Dog's a bit of a nut. He plays things up for the cameras, and pisses off the local PD's, and he and his people have been arrested while doing their bounty hunting quite a few times.

Back
Top Bottom