1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

50th Anniversary Of First Manned Moon Landing 7/20/19

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zappa, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

2. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

I'm an aviation and space geek and I'm loving all the attention the Apollo program is getting this summer.
    On 7/20/1969 I was 10 and my parents dragged me out of bed. I only have dim memories of watching crappy b&w images on our little b&w TV in the kitchen. Growing up during the space race it just seemed like normal life to me, but what an amazing feat, especially given the technology of the day.

The 60s were incredible for air and space advances. The SR-71 was announced in 1964 and the same summer we landed on the moon the Boeing 747 and the Concord made their debut at the Paris Airshow. We were really making shit happen.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    HorizontalHunter, BUMPA01603 and SERE like this.
  3. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Agreed [thumbsup]

4. 426wedge

426wedge NES Member

I remember back in the fifties having a rocket chart in my bedroom with pictures of rockets from the Redstone to the Proposed Saturn 5. I don't remember the ones in between, but I was fascinated with The Saturn 5 just by it's size. The Atlas was somewhere in the chart. The rest is fog...

5. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

I am watching the CBS special and having Nora present it just seems lack luster. I don't like her anyway for her politics but this should grab your soul before the first commercial.

As Yukon Cornelius said, "...nothing".

6. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

The moon landing was one of my earliest memories, it was a huge deal! Did anyone see the new Red Bull commercial that mocks it and ends with those accusations that it was all a fraud? It is shamefully treasonous and I'm boycotting it!

7. white feather

white feather NES Member

I was 15 and working at Sandys Restaurant. (It was a Sunday so I had to work from 11AM to 9 PM). When I got out of work, I found out that my father had been admitted to the hospital earlier in the day. He had MS. Went with my mother to see him. Moon walk was on tv at the hospital. Didn't see much of it. He seemed OK but died that night. Hard to believe that was 50 years ago...

8. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i had that same chart. I think it came in a national geographic magazine issue.

9. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I was 8. My father would bring home all sorts of charts and window wheels that had their work schedules and tasks all day planned out. Wish I had saved that stuff today.

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I remember it like. . . like. . . . Like I was crappy my diapers. 6 months, 10 days old at the time. But I recall the pic of the 3 Astro-Nots on the paneling'd wall of the basement when I was growing up.

My dad woke my brother up early to watch on TV. Chris motored downstairs very tired. He was 6. But it was a momentous occasion and Dad thought he should see it.

After about 10 min, Chris decides he has to go to the bathroom. He's downstairs. He was asleep on the couch. So he gets up, walks to the closet, opens the door and takes a leak into the closet.

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

To this day, Chris recalls nothing of the moon landing. Poor Dad. ROFL!!!

11. rep308

rep308 NES Member

I went to the rich kids house to watch it on the color TV, even though the broadcast from the moon was black and white as they pointed the color camera at the sun and burned it out.

12. new guy

new guy NES Member

I have a piece of film that flew to the surface of the moon on the 7/20/69 flight (but never left the LM) on an Underwood certificate. My wife thinks it's the stupidest thing ever because it's a small fragment of film, but it's one of my prized possessions.

BBQ.Uncle, toekneepea and radioman like this.
  13. radioman

radioman NES Member

I’ve been watching all the special anniversary programming
    on TV. Some of the programs are quite good. Discovery and
    history channels are both doing a great job in commemorating
    the anniversary. Also that lower is very cool.

14. robjax

robjax

15. toekneepea

toekneepea

The balls on those astronauts...knowing full well that it was highly likely a one-way trip. To make the lunar module lighter for lift off, protocol called for Aldrin and Armstrong to jettison their air tanks.

Here's a speech that Nixon thankfully didn't have to give: READ IT: Nixon’s Speech If Apollo 11 Failed

16. Dench

Dench

Astronaut should be holding a 23mm cannon over his shoulder in memory of the only thing fired in orbit that I'm aware of.

17. 426wedge

426wedge NES Member

Was there a image of a man dwarfed by the rockets in it?

18. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

I myself have a little piece of the Apollo program, but this wasn't actually up in space.
    It's a remnant from a roll of gold reflective mylar sheeting used on the LEM of Apollo 15 (named Falcon).
    I got it from a friend who worked on the Apollo 15 project, he gave it to me while he was cleaning out his house in Lexington before his move to Arizona.

You can see where it's used in this drawing:

[​IMG]

cockpitbob likes this.
  19. new guy

new guy NES Member

So cool. Is that what they call kapton foil?

My other Apollo era collectible is a Remove Before Flight tag from one of the control panels of one of the LMs. Just a little hand cut rectangle of clear plexiglass (or something) with a string through a hole, a part number, and some ancient velcro on the back. It came out of the estates of one of the guys who worked on the program. I've never been able to figure out whether it came out of the actual LM or one of the training setups. Never was able to trace the part number either.

Pics:

3EB51641-2AF5-42D2-940B-FA83A74917F2.jpeg

DBD7CC42-45A0-4FA7-8983-690015400BFB.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  20. minininjer

minininjer NES Door Greeter NES Member

"Go for the Moon": These first two are from Wednesday night, wanted to scout out the situation before returning on Fri for the big show, lugging a big DSLR camera, a monopod, etc. The video has Marine One passing behind the monument, heading to The White House for a landing. That was dope AF.

[​IMG]

The following are all from last night, during their big show with the countdown and launch:

Calibrating the projectors for the show
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I absolutely love the smoke coming off the monument for added effect. Wicked cool to see!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was hot as all balls, even at 11pm, it was still over 90 degrees.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  21. new guy

new guy NES Member

What a great idea to project the whole thing on the monument. Full video:

minininjer, SERE and BBQ.Uncle like this.
  22. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

That’s just so damn cool.

23. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

I was 13 years old and watched it all in total amazement. Little did I know that one day I would marry the daughter of one of the engineers who designed the navigation systems for Apollo 11. They had rudimentary computers, but he told me they didn't really trust them. I'm proud to have his slide rule.

cockpitbob and rali like this.
  24. minininjer

minininjer NES Door Greeter NES Member

Cool. Thanks for the video. Looks like this was taken from the VIP access platform (press, etc., I would imagine). I initially grabbed a spot on the grass and even when we were all sitting down, being vertically challenged, I couldn't see shit. Then I was thinking, well, if I can't see anything at all now, then I definitely wouldn't be able to see anyone when people are standing... so I decided to just skip the movie part, and head closer to the monument, and just watch the monument. That was still cool.

Obie1 and new guy like this.
  25. Bernietech

Bernietech NES Member

I vividly remember that night. I was a platoon leader at Army ROTC training camp at IGMR (Indian Town Gap Military Reservation). One of us cadets smuggled in a TV, small B&W, and we watched the landing instead of cleaning the barracks. The next day I got my ASS chewed out in front of the Co. but I saw it...Another memory in HS listening to the aircraft carrier Keirsarge on my Hallicrafters S-120 talking to recovery helios practicing for a Mercury mission. And final memory, the original Mercury 7 trained in the Johnsville centrifuge across the street from my High School. (Johnsville Naval Air Development Center) It was the largest centrifuges before Houston. ah the good old days...

bernie

Obie1 likes this.