500 Yards with the old 1917.

MJ1

Old friend took me out to shoot 300 and 500 yard steel plates 18"X18". As long as I'm around I will get a few more of these days. The 300 target were at 130' above the 200 line and the 500 another 160' over that so there were some hold over issues vs braincells. M1 got on it from the start with our 200 zero and a bit of hold over. I need to get out more. 1917 was a bit more work as I started with the wrong sight picture. But it went from 1 in three shot hits to 2 in three shots in the second string. My new COSTCO glasses are working well.

Sure it did but it was hopeless hitting 6" right of the point of aim at 100y. I have not decided if it's the rifle or the MAG TECH ammo I used that also was spitting primers. Rang was fine so I could hit center just holding 6" left on a 5" bull.I have to find the cause of this because there isn't that much drift available in the rear sight. Tried a few pots at the 300 yards plates and it was over 10' off windage.

It is a possibility but all ten shots went 6" right. I just aimed off left that amount. I shot a lot of these over the years and the M2 in the Army and I was never all that impressed. I will try some hand loads. The big guns were on the mark with the M2 pellets I loaded back in '04. I really have to unpack the old Dillon and get back into loading.

Took Old Blue out Monday with the last of the '04 LC handloads. Now Old Blue will suck an M2 round almost to the case neck but will shoot 3 MOA at 100y and 200y paper and put 7 of 8 almost every time on 14"X14" steel at 300y with my 200y zero numbers 10/0 if I aim at the top of the plate. So I was pleasantly surprised when I added only two clicks of range and got hits aiming center on the plates. That's only 10" more drop at 500y and it was up hill almost 300 feet above the 200y line. I will have to dig out my books and look up these loads and make some more.

Back
Top Bottom