• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

500 S&W Special

Whiskeywon

NES Member
So, I was messing around on TSUSA and never realized prior that there was 500 Smith & Wesson Special before. It makes sense given the conventions involving other revolver cartridges, but given the nature of the 500 Magnum, it just seems rather pointless? At least to me. I guess if you reload it would make more sense, but if I'm shooting that kind of gun I'd rather just be shooting full house loads or you know .44 magnum. Unless you are just trying to make it like a super .44 magnum without going overboard on a .44 case with pressure. Just curious on some other thoughts. I'd also point out I only shoot .44 occasionally and I shoot .357/38sp often. I have enjoyed all of the big bore ones I have fired and plan on getting more into it, but I just don't rush with that given that on the list of things to get banned revolvers are towards the bottom.

Since the .500 S&W special came *after* the magnum, it's kinda like .40 S&W to 10mm.

If you're handloading, you don't need special brass for 500 special, just load it lighter.

I don't really see the point, except for the edge case of someone who:
- has a 500 magnum
- doesn't handload
- wants a pussy load for it.
- doesn't have a .357 magnum or .44 magnum.

I don't think there are any .500 special guns, so there's nothing that will shoot a 500 special that won't also shoot a 500 magnum.

Since the .500 S&W special came *after* the magnum, it's kinda like .40 S&W to 10mm.

If you're handloading, you don't need special brass for 500 special, just load it lighter.

I don't really see the point, except for the edge case of someone who:
- has a 500 magnum
- doesn't handload
- wants a pussy load for it.
- doesn't have a .357 magnum or .44 magnum.

I don't think there are any .500 special guns, so there's nothing that will shoot a 500 special that won't also shoot a 500 magnum.
I don't see the point either.

Back
Top Bottom