50 year old charge

nstassel

NES Member
Here's a cute situation. A guy had owned guns and had an ltc for decades. He tried to buy a long gun and gets declined. Shortly the friendly police are revoking his ltc and tell him he's a prohibited person to the FBI. He had an assault and battery in 1964 which he thinks was dismissed for 50 bucks.

I located the case docket. The relevant portion is attached. Half the people that look at it think its a "G" and the other half think its a "D". I'll have to see if a judge can be convinced it's a D.
09a1cb80eb3f677a5425cbc6a58e9dcc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would say D. What's the other abbreviation, MD or MG?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I think MD is motion to dismiss. I also think NRA stands for the clerk's initials. The squiggle underneath is indication the money was paid. But theres also a little loop on the top of the letter that looks a bit like a G.

I think MD is motion to dismiss. I also think NRA stands for the clerk's initials. The squiggle underneath is indication the money was paid. But theres also a little loop on the top of the letter that looks a bit like a G.

"MG" = "Man is Guilty" duh I know a lot about the law (sincerely, Mad Maura)

Here's a cute situation. A guy had owned guns and had an ltc for decades. He tried to buy a long gun and gets declined. Shortly the friendly police are revoking his ltc and tell him he's a prohibited person to the FBI. He had an assault and battery in 1964 which he thinks was dismissed for 50 bucks.

I located the case docket. The relevant portion is attached. Half the people that look at it think its a "G" and the other half think its a "D". I'll have to see if a judge can be convinced it's a D.

He needs the Docket Sheet from the clerk's office, NOT a copy of the ledger sheet. No PD is going to change the outcome based on that page.

In cases that old that's all there is. That is the docket sheet back from those cases. In fact the ledger book is the book in which you locate the defendant by name and then find the docket number. I had to find him in the ledgers first.

Upper case S?

I honestly can't even believe this is real...this ****ing state is out of control. 1964...the guys lived his entire life since then...don't they think he'd have committed some other offense since then...or do they think he's been planning this whole time?

In cases that old that's all there is. That is the docket sheet back from those cases. In fact the ledger book is the book in which you locate the defendant by name and then find the docket number. I had to find him in the ledgers first.

Sorry I don't agree that that is the docket sheet. Every docket sheet that I've seen (and some go back 30-40 yrs) has the person's name, SSN, DOB, description of charges, etc. and hand-written resolution of the case. It's not a ledger book. I've used those ledger books to look up a case then give the docket number to a clerk to get me the dusty folder with the real docket sheet and any other info on the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Upper case S?

I honestly can't even believe this is real...this ****ing state is out of control. 1964...the guys lived his entire life since then...don't they think he'd have committed some other offense since then...or do they think he's been planning this whole time?

MGL change in 1998 looks back to the day you were born and DQ'd thousands of people based on ancient charges/convictions.

That's only a portion of the docket. I edited it to remove all they other info. That's just the disposition.

And....by contrast

http://wareham.wickedlocal.com/article/20120401/NEWS/304019712

That's only a portion of the docket. I edited it to remove all they other info. That's just the disposition.

Have a hand writing expert look at it, although I would think that the expert would have to see more letters than one written by the same person.

Whatever it is, it's the same letter as what's written after the "M" in the 2nd column so if that's an "MD" then its also a D. If it's an "MG", then it's a G.
But, personally, it looks pretty clearly to be a "D".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, now I know the Constitution prohibits both the Feds and States from enacting laws that retroactively increase the punishment for a crime that happened before the law was written (prohibition on ex post facto laws in Article-1 Sections 9 & 10). So, how could we be having these discussions about people losing their rights decades after the deed? Hmmm.

Hmm, now I know the Constitution prohibits both the Feds and States from enacting laws that retroactively increase the punishment for a crime that happened before the law was written (prohibition on ex post facto laws in Article-1 Sections 9 & 10). So, how could we be having these discussions about people losing their rights decades after the deed? Hmmm.

Because losing an LTC is not punishment. [rolleyes]

If it were a G the left side of the letter would be different.....it would not have been started from lower left corner
Cursive G starts there. Doesn't look like a G to me even so. The way I learned cursive, a capital D actually starts upper left and goes down

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Upper case S?

Agreed, absolutely insane.

Back
Top Bottom