• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.50 BMG gatling gun OMFG

I'm no helicopter jockey either but isn't autorotating when you lose power to the rear rotor so the craft will start to spin? If you lose power and are going down you will lose power to both rotors hence the spinning?

I get what you were saying but i think your useing the name of a actual flight maneuver, to my understanding, and i could be wrong auto rotate was the maneuver used to stop a crash landing from loss of a engine

I'm pretty sure autorotation is when you lose power and land using the main rotor to slow you're descent (over just dropping from the sky) and to continue to provide torque to the tail rotor so you can maintain/change heading.

I know we have at least one Helo pilot here, maybe they'll chime in.

Mike

I'm pretty sure autorotation is when you lose power and land using the main rotor to slow you're descent (over just dropping from the sky) and to continue to provide torque to the tail rotor so you can maintain/change heading.

Mike

All our helo pilots are out trying to find out if they can get these installed….

The U.S. Military is the only user with enough cash to feed the damn thing!

Actually you're the one with the cash feeding it.

Every time they pull the trigger on that thing they piss away the average taxpayers yearly vacation fund.

Now get back to work.

i would love to see the impact area during firing.. especially a bunch of jihadists..

- - - Updated - - -

LOL Keep going up...

- - - Updated - - -

Its bolted to the truck, the truck takes the recoil.. you can see the truck shift a bit when he is firing.. im sure the heli guy has to lean into it a bit..

The mount appears to have a hydraulic piston type recoil system.
Now excuse me I need some "alone" time after watching that. [shocked]

We have a winner. Sure it would be great to have, but one long burst and you've just blown through $10k in ammo!

Interesting optic on it though. That looks like one huge Eotech. Then again, the shooter is significantly exposed. Need some armor around that thing.

Ya like anyone facing that thing is going to stick around to return fire... [rofl2]

At 1:23/1:24 - does it looks like incoming fire hits the hood of the vehicle? A couple sparks and a puff of smoke.

I though it was a demo video. Must be some ticked off customers.

Mike

Autorotation is a maneuver to land a helo after losing power to the engines. The pilot disengages the main rotor from the engine and tilts the rotor forward and nose down to increase rotation. The idea is to try and generate enough rotor spin to be able to generate lift to soften the landing right before the helicopter crashes.

Apparently the Soviets beat us to this one, which is odd at least in .50, although the Soviet and NATO .50 aren't the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yak-B_12.7mm_machine_gun

The new GAU-19/B is a lighter version of the A, but still weighs more than the Yak-B. Weird.

Really surprising it took General Dynamics 30 years to come out with an improved version. The demand has been there for 11 years prior to the upgrade.

it's pretty retarded, you need 100k of ammo and ten leprechauns to hit one goat rapist (assuming gunner knows general vicinity of the hiding place)

During WWI it took something like 5 tones of shells to kill one infantrymen. Wars cost money.

it's pretty retarded, you need 100k of ammo and ten leprechauns to hit one goat rapist (assuming gunner knows general vicinity of the hiding place)

During WWI it took something like 5 tones of shells to kill one infantrymen. Wars cost money.

"Arrows cost money. Use up the Russians. The dead cost nothing"...

2000 rounds per minute At $5/round that is $10,000 per minute!

GAU-19/A
Type Heavy machine gun
Place of origin United States
Service history
Used by See History
Production history
Designer General Electric
Manufacturer General Dynamics
Produced 1983–present
Variants 3-barrel or 6-barrel
Specifications
Weight With feeder and transfer unit:139 lbs. (63 kg)
Length 53.9 in. (1,369 mm)
Barrel length 36 in. (914 mm)
Width 13.5 in. (343 mm)
Height 15 in. (381 mm)
Cartridge .50 BMG (12.7×99mm NATO)
Barrels 3
Action Electric
Rate of fire 1,000 or 2,000 rounds per minute
Muzzle velocity 2,910 fps (887 m/s)
Effective firing range 1,800 m
Maximum firing range 6,000 m
Feed system linkless or M9 linked belt

I don't think I could afford the ammo for that. .50 BMG goes for something like $5~7 per round. I feel like I'd hold the trigger for a few seconds and be broke.

Figure $5 a round, 2000rds a minute is 33.33 rounds a second, so 100 rounds. Few seconds would cost ya an easy $500 [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom