50 BMG Cartridge

At a recent gun show, I bought 2 .50 BMG cartridges that I want to use in my training classes. I need to make them into dummy rounds. At the time, I figured I could put them in my bullet puller and "inactivate" them that way. I didn't realize how big they were in relation to my puller. So now the question is, how do I make these into dummy rounds? One thought I had was that since I was going to drill holes in the cases anyway, I could just do that and dump out the powder. In order to not have to worry about the casing heating up too much, I was thinking I could do it under water. I don't think the heat generated anyway would be enough to ignite the powder. If any experts can think of reasons why this is not a good idea, please let me know. Also, if anyone has a better way, please enlighten me.
Thanks

you would still have live primers. Talk to someone who reloads them and just have them crimp you a primerless round without powder.

I guess the worst that could happen is that you blow your hand apart. Maybe have someone fire it in a gun instead?

At a recent gun show, I bought 2 .50 BMG cartridges that I want to use in my training classes. I need to make them into dummy rounds. At the time, I figured I could put them in my bullet puller and "inactivate" them that way. I didn't realize how big they were in relation to my puller. So now the question is, how do I make these into dummy rounds? One thought I had was that since I was going to drill holes in the cases anyway, I could just do that and dump out the powder. In order to not have to worry about the casing heating up too much, I was thinking I could do it under water. I don't think the heat generated anyway would be enough to ignite the powder. If any experts can think of reasons why this is not a good idea, please let me know. Also, if anyone has a better way, please enlighten me.
Thanks

Before you start drilling, can you put me in your will ???

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin"
SAMUEL ADAMS

Put the case in a vice with a towel around it facing downward towards a bucket of sand. Then being sure you have your safety glasses on strike the primer swiftly. Then reinsert bullet into casing and you good to go.

I am not a professional though so I probably wouldn't listen to me.

Put the case in a vice with a towel around it facing downward towards a bucket of sand. Then being sure you have your safety glasses on strike the primer swiftly. Then reinsert bullet into casing and you good to go.

Sounds like a solid plan![laugh]

My god.

under water drilling would make no differencesince what ignights is on the inside (not in the water) and could ignight from the drilling(regardless of water) if you did get through without ignition you will now have water mixed with powder and will never get that shit out.

as someone has stated previously. find somebody that reloads em and have em make you a dud

This thread has Darwin award written all over it. Whatever you end up doing, please get it on video.

Where can I find a 50bmg bullet puller? Sound like a good tool to own.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Better to have the primer dead than alive. Stupid idea all around, but it's not my hand that's going to get fragged. I say give it a try... for science... [laugh2]

Do you think spraying the outside of a primer cup will kill the high explosive contained inside?

Do you think spraying the outside of a primer cup will kill the high explosive contained inside?

Not a fan of sarcasm I take it? I never said it was a good idea. If my attempt at sarcasm made it sound like I supported the idea, I do not. Best solution would be to throw it on a vice and use a pair of pliers to pull the bullet, or to have someone who is equipped to reload 50BMG do it for him.

I'm not sure where the OP is located, but if you're on the South Shore I could load up a couple dummy rounds in exchange for the live ones.

Last edited:
There is always this risk with penetrating lubricants, but it is not enough to kill an installed primer with sufficient reliability to use it as a dummy round. Also, dummy rounds should be recognizable as such and not be exact visual replicas of live rounds.

The really sad part of this thread is that so many of you have inert .50 BMG on hand.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Make sure you have somebody with you to hold your beer first.

Back
Top Bottom