• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.50 AE Desert Eagle

on their website they say that shooting reloads voids the warranty.

And the sky is also blue, news at 11. [laugh]

I have yet to meet a manufacturer who would suggest, in any way shape or form, that they were liable for the performance of their gun when reloads were in use... but frankly, who cares.

-Mike

I've owned a DE in 357 mag. It was a fun weapon to have and I can honestly say there was nearly no recoil to speak of. The gun itself is so heavy, that it minimalizes the recoil. The 44 mag has a little more kick and as stated the 50AE will bound the gun around on you. Overall, it was fun to own and shoot. But, it's one of the few handguns I've traded and didn't look back. Plus a price take in the $1K plus range, there are so many other handguns out there that are better starter guns with plenty of the "fun" factor that is a vialble carry gun.

The biggest down side of the DE is cleaning the damn thing. I'm being completely honest in saying it's worse then cleaning my AR. The gas blow back system gets everything internal dirty as hell. When it gets really dirty is when you start having cycling problems.

Like I said, a great gun that everyone needs to own at least once. Not something though I'd keep long term. Unless your rich or something!

on their website they say that shooting reloads voids the warranty.

Agree with what mike said here...
maybe I should clarify a bit. Yes they are reloads. Bullseye reloads the cases with jacketed ammo (not lead). As it's a polygonal barrell lead is never recommended. And the lead will also add a lot to fouling the gas works.

All that aside. I don't know of any manufacturer that spells out that any reloaded ammo is actually certified for use in their products.

here is my DE .50AE and HK Mark23 .45ACP
both are big guns and fun at the range.
Picture%20004.jpg

Own it and love it. There are only two issues I have. It was my first hand gun, not something I recommend. As said earlier the eject is up and if you aren't used to it you will bounce shells off your head, they will be hot. The second is cost, learn to reload or you'll be putting the price of a good used Beretta 92 down range over the weekend easy. I've never had a commercial round jam on me, though with reloads you have to be really careful with over all length and bullet selection.
heavey hitter.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not exactly a "noob". I've shot alot. I learned to shoot in the Military.

You learned to shoot in the Air Force and the first gun you want to buy is a Desert Eagle in 50AE? Probably the LEAST practical gun in existence, or up there anyway. I am not questioning whether or not it is fun... but seriously?

Mike

No that would be the Sigma 40 at least the DE is fun to shot. Though practical it aint.

Last edited:
You learned to shoot in the Air Force and the first gun you want to buy is a Desert Eagle in 50AE? Probably the LEAST practical gun in existence, or up there anyway. I am not questioning whether or not it is fun... but seriously?

Mike

I also was in the Army afterwards too.

Okay. Here we go.

I've copied and pasted this from an earlier thread that I posted in a couple of years back. Here's what I had to say about the Desert Eagle then:

Desert Eagle:

A freakishly large, drastically overpriced cartoon gun with the ergonomics of a tire iron and a grip like a 2X4 wrapped in a bike tire. A "combat" pistol that is:

1: Low capacity.
2: Uses revolver ammo not found on ANY modern battlefield.
3: Prone to jamming with anything but a deathgrip.
4: Front heavy.
5: Makes a report and muzzle flash that Helen Keller could pick up from a mile away.
6: NOT used by any current organized combative entity.

It is a auto-loader that fires revolver ammo using an AR-15 extractor and a floating magazine.

Truly the duck-billed platypus of guns.

Favored by non-combatants, mall ninjas, and every Hollywood director in the history of action films.

And I LOVE mine.

I've had two of them, and currently own a polished chrome one with the .44 Mag barrel as well.

Here's the God's honest truth: There's NO WAY that buying one of these as a first, fifth or seventeenth gun is a good idea. It is a NOVELTY. I bought mine because I've always wanted one, reload pretty much every caliber I shoot, have a fairly large collection of esoteric firearms and the price was not an issue.

If you fall into most (if not all) of those categories, or if you just want to set 1500+ dollars on fire, have at it.

I also was in the Army afterwards too.

That only re-affirms what I was getting at... Assuming you learned to shoot practically ,IE something other than "ugh we need to teach him to use a gun" point. boom. check in the box, why on earth would you have interest in a really really expensive gun, that doesn't shine anywhere other than being a novelty (as owners have mentioned) as your first handgun? The military teaches practicality, unless your an officer, and I just am trying to understand why you want this as your first gun. To each their own, but what are you looking to use it for? Personal protection? Bad choice. Competition (a la IDPA) Bad choice. Other competition? Bad choice. Carry? Bad choice. Getting other people interested in shooting? Bad choice. Make a few loud bangs for a lot of money and go home? Good choice!

If you really really really want it... go for it, but would you at least consider settling for a full size 1911 or something? You can get those in shiny too.

Mike

Last edited:
Okay. Here we go.

I've copied and pasted this from an earlier thread that I posted in a couple of years back. Here's what I had to say about the Desert Eagle then:

Desert Eagle:

A freakishly large, drastically overpriced cartoon gun with the ergonomics of a tire iron and a grip like a 2X4 wrapped in a bike tire. A "combat" pistol that is:

1: Low capacity.
2: Uses revolver ammo not found on ANY modern battlefield.
3: Prone to jamming with anything but a deathgrip.
4: Front heavy.
5: Makes a report and muzzle flash that Helen Keller could pick up from a mile away.
6: NOT used by any current organized combative entity.

It is a auto-loader that fires revolver ammo using an AR-15 extractor and a floating magazine.

Truly the duck-billed platypus of guns.

Favored by non-combatants, mall ninjas, and every Hollywood director in the history of action films.

And I LOVE mine.

I've had two of them, and currently own a polished chrome one with the .44 Mag barrel as well.

Here's the God's honest truth: There's NO WAY that buying one of these as a first, fifth or seventeenth gun is a good idea. It is a NOVELTY. I bought mine because I've always wanted one, reload pretty much every caliber I shoot, have a fairly large collection of esoteric firearms and the price was not an issue.

If you fall into most (if not all) of those categories, or if you just want to set 1500+ dollars on fire, have at it.

I dunno... These all seem like selling points and features..Maybe I will start the hunt for Hopalong Goldstien IV.
And I have it from a very reliable source (an undercover tacticool mall OPERATOR) that the 50ae is the ONLY gun in existence that can take out a mall sniper shoooting a 338 at half a mile effectively, perfect for counter terror mall ops, and it's very quick on the draw from a thigh holster.

I've owned a DE in 357 mag. It was a fun weapon to have and I can honestly say there was nearly no recoil to speak of. The gun itself is so heavy, that it minimizes the recoil.

I now own this very same Deagle and all I can say is
{quote Fooped} "And I LOVE mine.

Here's the God's honest truth: There's NO WAY that buying one of these as a first, fifth or seventeenth gun is a good idea. It is a NOVELTY. I bought mine because I've always wanted one, reload pretty much every caliber I shoot, have a fairly large collection of esoteric firearms and the price was not an issue."

Same here. My 80 Lb. Niece shot it with no problem. Fun gun and totally impractical, but then so are bunch of the ones in the safe. Same with my 4" .500 Mag, it just puts a grin on the face of everyone that shoots it. [grin]

If you're just getting your LTC I'd personally suggest to try out a few different firearms first before going for the .50 AE. It's honestly more of a novelty firearm. Of course, we all have our niches and if this one is yours then that's cool and I'm all for you going for it :)

I'm just suggesting this because in my experience your concept of what firearms are great differs vastly from 1 month before you have your LTC and 3 months after you have your LTC and have fired 20 different firearms. I also thought the .50 AE DE was pretty insane before I got my LTC -- Now? It's just a cool gun used in movies to me. To me, .45 ACP is the way to go if you want a large caliber firearm, and you can get G21 SF, with pre-ban 13rd mags, easily in MA. I paid 540 for my g21 brand new and 90 extra to have night sights put on it. Lacks the nickel plated flash of the Desert Eagle but I don't really care about that stuff.

One other upshot with the Deagle is if you get bored with it and go to sell it, it probably will retain most of its value, so even if you buy one and then sell it later, you won't get hurt too badly, depending on whether or not you overpaid for it to begin with.

-Mike

One other upshot with the Deagle is if you get bored with it and go to sell it, it probably will retain most of its value, so even if you buy one and then sell it later, you won't get hurt too badly, depending on whether or not you overpaid for it to begin with.

-Mike
That's a really good concept I didn't even think of to bring up and completely true. Colt markets their firearms as collector's items and there ARE collectors for them even before they started doing it.

Another idea I just had --

If you're getting your LTC and want unique and sick pistol -- How about an AR pistol or something like that? Shoots 5.56 NATO rounds and looks a beast. Put rails and anything on it you want. Hell, you can EASILY get one to shoot .50 Beowulf rounds -- the .50 beowulf was designed to fit in a standard AR receiver. You'd need a pre-ban to import one to MA (or the lower receiver anyways) but considering you want a .50 AE DE, it'll probably still end up cheaper. Keep the 5.56 nato barrel and you've got plentiful ammo supplies too that are easy to come by and cheap to reload. You'll also have the versatility of the AR platform -- Buy one upper receiver in 5.56 and one upper receiver in .50 -- You've got your .50 hand gun AND a realistic ammo 5.56 firerm, both reliable and in one package.

Uploaded_633864500140305000_File.jpg

Last edited:

-Mike

This is very true.. I ended up selling both of the 50s that I had because I was being offered more than I paid for both. It was offers too good to refuse.

If you're getting your LTC and want unique and sick pistol -- How about an AR pistol or something like that?

In MA this isn't viable unless you find a preban AR pistol because the AWB blocks anything that weighs more than 50 ounces that has a magazine forward of the pistol grip. So you either have to have a frankengun with holes drilled in it or made out of plastic (and either way it will still be a frankengun, as a barrel shroud isn't allowed) or you have to have a preban, if you want to stay inside the confines of the laws.

It's actually easier in MA to buy a preban AR rifle, pay the NFA tax + wait 4 months (assuming you have a signoff or a trust/corp) SBR it (to whatever length you want) than it is to (legally) own an AR pistol that doesn't suck.

-Mike

Interesting -- Thanks for the info Mike, this is actually a project I'm looking to do soon.

Even with a pre-ban stripped lower, you still can't just register the lower when you receive it as a pre-ban pistol and build it without weight concerns etc from there? I'm just asking because my gunsmith asked me if I was going to make a pistol or rifle out of the last pre-ban receiver I FFL'd through him when he was doing the paperwork.

Interesting -- Thanks for the info Mike, this is actually a project I'm looking to do soon.

Even with a pre-ban stripped lower, you still can't just register the lower when you receive it as a pre-ban pistol and build it without weight concerns etc from there? I'm just asking because my gunsmith asked me if I was going to make a pistol or rifle out of the last pre-ban receiver I FFL'd through him when he was doing the paperwork.

this is generally considered bad juju. I believe that you could be forced to prove that the receiver has never had any stock attached to it ever. as soon as any stock ever touches that receiver it becomes a rifle. (or if the receiver has changed hands and was ever registered as a long gun)And having it in a pistol config would constitute posession of an un registered SBR.

Unless you are 10000% sure of that preban receiver's complete history, I would not do it.
best is to stay legal, jump the hoops and do it right on a form 1.

Ah alright -- follows standard rules that it has to have been in a pistol configuration prior to the 94 AWB then. That makes sense -- Thanks!

In MA this isn't viable unless you find a preban AR pistol because the AWB blocks anything that weighs more than 50 ounces that has a magazine forward of the pistol grip. So you either have to have a frankengun with holes drilled in it or made out of plastic (and either way it will still be a frankengun, as a barrel shroud isn't allowed) or you have to have a preban, if you want to stay inside the confines of the laws.

It's actually easier in MA to buy a preban AR rifle, pay the NFA tax + wait 4 months (assuming you have a signoff or a trust/corp) SBR it (to whatever length you want) than it is to (legally) own an AR pistol that doesn't suck.

-Mike

Wouldn't you just need the NFA stamp? I thought SBRs and SBSs were exempt from the AWB due to the wording or something like that.

EDIT: Did anyone ever figure out if those plum crazy lowers were light enough to not be an AW?

Last edited:
Wouldn't you just need the NFA stamp? I thought SBRs and SBSs were exempt from the AWB due to the wording or something like that.

EDIT: Did anyone ever figure out if those plum crazy lowers were light enough to not be an AW?

the question on this was preban presumably virgin receivers being made into AR pistols in mass. the suggestion is to just form 1 (sbr) it and avoid potential backlash.

I'm selling a one of a kind Desert Eagle that no one has. Its 24k gold dipped as well as Platinum dipped. the 50. cal barrel is dipped in 24K and the .44 magnum barrel is dipped in Platinum. All the mags are dipped too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom