• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

50.00 Plate Carrier Defend X on Sale from 200. US made

i got it on the last sale.

if you are planning to put steel in it then be advised. it's made for 1 inch thick ceramic-composite plate. thin steel plate sags in it leaving aorta unprotected.

there is a velcro and 2 snaps that hold plate in place but again location of those is pre-conditioned on using thick composite plate. when you put steel plate in and try to snug it up against the top then snaps no longer align and velcro overlap is only about 3/8" to 1/2" and that's the only thing holding it in. i can vividly imagine velcro getting undone and plate sliding out when you least want it. yes it is inserted from the bottom of the carrier.

another complaint i had was the fact that because it was made to accept rectangular plate, when i put in my shooters cut plate in, it caused material to bunch up in the corners which made it uncomfortable to wear and created resistance when you try bring you hands in front like if you were to shouldering a rifle. my buddy whom is wider in the shoulders however did not have this problem. so i'll write this one off as individual incompatibility.

i'm 5'10" 200# and i had to adjust this carrier all the way to the minimum to bring the top of the plate to my clavicle just barely enough to achieve a proper fit (in the picture below it's over adjusted because of the sagging plate)
my wife is 5'8" 135# and that thing was hanging on here like on the hanger. even adjusted all the way everywhere possible it was nowhere near suitable fit. so small person beware.

but it is not without pros either. shoulder pads on that carrier are massive and thick and super comfortable especially compared to wimpy Condor pads that technically just a 3-layer cloth wrap around not really a pad. wearing it for extended period was a lot easier on the shoulders than Condor MOPC

cummerbund attachment is better and more solid then on my other carrier that uses buckles and slides freely. this one actually has two separate pieces that each attache on the back directly to the molle and stay attached.

has no side flaps to accommodate soft armor insert which is IMO better and easier to put on that if you do have a pair of those unwieldy flaps on each side that you trying to get a hold off and to stay put while wrapping cummerbund around them at the same time.

i since sold the carrier because to me it was more cons than pros. i hope this review helps some of you.

2_zps73798eb8.jpg

1_zpsf11abff2.jpg

5_zps1e94cc9d.jpg

4_zpseb94f372.jpg

3_zps0803c7a8.jpg

Last edited:
If its good velcro, properly overlapped, it won't come out. I wore bottom drop carriers for years and if I went in the drink, I felt it would be a crap shoot as to whether I could drop the rear plate with two good arms. Don't sweat velcro only.

the positioning of front Molle loops is strange, it has only 5 usable ones, with one being wasted...

Back
Top Bottom