• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5 shot, 4 murdered in rich Dorchester neighborhood

5 people were shot in a wealthy neighborhood in Dorchester. Apparently the son had turned his parent's basement into a music studio, and someone came in and shot up the studio yesterday. Although it in is "Dorchester", this neighborhood is an enclave of mansions.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/12/14/4_slain_in_dorchester_house/

''I'd like to reiterate that this incident happened in the basement, not outside," [Boston Police Superintendent Bobbie] Johnson told reporters at the scene late last night. ''Even if we had had 100 cops on the beat, we wouldn't have been able to prevent it."

In other words, if you're in your house, the cops admit that they won't be able to protect you.

Also, this looks like gang violence. If the cops had broken up the gangs, then it wouldn't have happened. So, nice try, Johnson. You could have prevented it.

From Bruce @ http://massbackwards.blogspot.com

[email protected]

Boston City Councilor Maureen Feeney was on the radio this morning blaming this latest multiple homicide on (quel surprise) the gun used in the shooting.

She followed that comment up with one torn right from the pages of the Rosie O'Donnell playbook, saying that anyone in the City of Boston should be thrown in jail. WRKO talk show host, Scott Allen Miller, gave her a chance to clarify her position.

Miller: Are you saying that anyone who possesses a gun in Boston should be locked up?
Feeney: Yes. I am.

You may want to let her know how you feel. [shock]

Man, this sucks.

Won't be good for law abiding gun owners.

Appears gang violence related. Lot's of folks going in and out. Drug related?

Sent her this email:

Councilor Feeney,

I was made aware that you had an interview this morning on the radio station WRKO in light of the recent shooting tragedy in Dorchester. I was also told that during this interview you remarked that all gun owners should be put in jail. I was hoping that you could confirm, deny, or clarify these remarks for me, and me alone. I am no representative of any news organization, just a concerned citizen.

I would like to also say that if these accusations are true, I'm deeply disturbed. I am 24, in school for architecture, working as a designer at a respected architectural firm, an Eagle Scout, and I've never even gotten so much as a speeding ticket. I am also a gun owner and have been since I was 10 and growing up in Pennsylvania. I shoot regularly at a local range, probably 100 rounds a week. I am licensed by the state of Massachusetts with a Class A LTC.

In the hopes that you can form a more informed opinion of gun owners, I would like to extend a sincere invitation for you to come out to my gun club in Braintree and tour it, and take a few shots in what has to be the safest environment you can find in MA. If you are so inclined please contact me at your convenience. My cell is xxx.xxx.xxxx, and I hope to hear back from you soon!

Let's see if she responds

derek said:
From Bruce @ http://massbackwards.blogspot.com

[email protected]

Boston City Councilor Maureen Feeney was on the radio this morning blaming this latest multiple homicide on (quel surprise) the gun used in the shooting.

She followed that comment up with one torn right from the pages of the Rosie O'Donnell playbook, saying that anyone in the City of Boston should be thrown in jail. WRKO talk show host, Scott Allen Miller, gave her a chance to clarify her position.

Miller: Are you saying that anyone who possesses a gun in Boston should be locked up?
Feeney: Yes. I am.

You may want to let her know how you feel. [shock]

Can you say Wack-a-doo??

I'm thinking of writing her as well.

Sent her an email too.

Dear Mrs. Feeney,

When will you and others open your eyes and see that the problem is not those who lawfully own firearms and follow the laws, but those who choose to break them. If you beleive these actions will cause crime to go down, then you are sorely mistaken.

Austrailia and England, two countries who have truely draconian gun control measures, have not seen a decrease in crime, but actually have seen crime increase because the common criminal knows he is in no serious danger from people defending themselves.

Though the use of firearms decreased, as is expected, the numbers didn't as criminals used baseball bats, knives, metal pipes to commit them.

Under the 'enlightened' group that is the anti-firearms crime will magically disappear with the outlawing of such items. If this is the case, then why is Boston experiencing a massive spike in crime with such 'progressive' gun control laws? The simple fact is that criminals PREFER an unarmed victim. All you need to do is look at Washington DC, almost anually leading the nation in murders even though NO law abiding citizen is allowed to own a handgun and has insane rules about owning a long gun.

The gun crime rate started to drop when our police were adaquately funded AND criminals were prosecuted as criminals and not looked at as victims of society.

If you don't beleive that the founding fathers didn't intend for the the common citizen to own a firearm, then I urge you to go back and read The Federalist Papers. A group of essays written by those who signed the Consitution and Declaration of Independence on why the bill of rights is the way it is. Specifically read Federalist Paper No. 46.

In this, I leave you the words of the actual author of our Constitution, the sole authority on what is factual in terms of what the meaning of the 2nd Ammendment is:

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves in all cases to which they think themselves competent (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved), or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of the press."

Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824

It is very obvious that the signers of the supreme law of the land meant for law abiding citizens, like me and millions of others who follow the laws of the land, to keep and bear arms.

Sincerely,

Brian M. Vickery

I wasn't as tactful.

Subject: WRKO Conversation

This was from this morning’s broadcast

Miller: “Are you saying that anyone who possesses a gun in Boston should be locked up?”

Feeney: “Yes. I am.”

I really hope you are not that ignorant to believe guns are the cause of crime in the city. Instead of using emotion to make statements and decisions, you should consider using facts. I know this is something probably new to you since it requires actual work to come up with a well researched decision.

Do you honestly believe that if you disarmed all the citizens of Boston the violent crime rate would go down?

Since it’s already next to impossible for law abiding citizens of the city to arm themselves while the crime rate continues to increase, what makes you believe it will go down when guns our out of the hands of it citizens?

If you would like to do research on the issue I would consider looking at the D.C. violent crime rate as an example. Guns have been banned there for 25 years and yet the crime rate has continued to increase.

Making statements with emotion and no factual information not only makes you look incompetent, but it also reflects poorly on the city of Boston who employs you.

Does anyone know exactly who her direct supervisor would be in the city?

I'd also love to contact that office and ask what statements they've authorized her to make and to voice my opinion as well.

/lives outside the city, tho.

Well, she's elected, so she's sort of at the top of the food chain. The Council chair is Michael Flaherty (contact), but I would imagine that he would say that she's perfectly allowed to express her opinion on that sort of thing.

In a perfect world it might do well if she found out that her co-councillors a) have heard about her stupidness and b) are getting pressured to denounce her statement. But the Boston City Council has so many liberal idiots on board that she would probably end up getting more peer support than censure.

I CC'd Michael F. Flaherty (can't help but think if Spin City when I hear his name)

And I wrote up this letter while you guys were writing yours.

Councilor Feeney:

I was made aware that this morning on the Radio, that you made a comment that all gun owners should be placed in jail.

I find this knee jerk reaction slightly disturbing. One, do you know how many law abiding gun owners are in Massachusetts, let alone in the City of Boston? I understand that you are upset that shooting in Dorchester happened. As I'm sure every citizen in the state is upset as well. But to say that we throw every lawful citizen in the city in jail is a little over the top. Had you said every criminal with a gun I could understand. But the key word would have been criminal.

The State has been blaming criminals for bringing illegal guns into the State from surrounding states. Beacon Hill is calling for more laws to keep guns out of our state. What I haven't heard is the call to stop criminals from bringing these firearms into the state illegally. You want to create more laws. You're an educated person, you know what that means, these criminals just have more laws to break. What people don't seem to understand that criminals don't care about the laws put in place. That's by very definition, the meaning of the word criminal. More and more laws won't keep the criminals from doing things illegal. It just places burdens on your law abiding Massachusetts Citizens. Laws that will let more of these shooting happen in peoples homes.

In an article in the paper, I found this quote very disturbing:''I'd like to reiterate that this incident happened in the basement, not outside," [Boston Police Superintendent Bobbie] Johnson told reporters at the scene late last night. ''Even if we had had 100 cops on the beat, we wouldn't have been able to prevent it."

This is just saying that if someone were to come into my home, into your home, wanting to shoot you, there would be nothing that the police could have done. Yet, you would like to put all law abiding Massachusetts Citizens in prison. That's well and good. But then you're welcoming the criminals that you want to keep on the street into our homes. That's what I find disturbing. Leaving the citizens of Massachusetts defenseless. Criminals like to go after easy prey. And that's what Beacon Hill is wanting to do to turning the lawful citizens into prey for the criminals.

You can look at Washington DC as a perfect example of what I'm saying. They have a total ban on firearms. Yet, it's one of the most dangerous cities in the USA.

Anyway, if you've made it this far in the letter, I commend you. And I would like to extend the invitation to join me sometime to try the shooting sport. I've been shooting since I was 6 with my family. I was taught firearm safety all my life. I compete in the shooting sports and plan to pass the love of the sport down to my children. If you are uncomfortable shooting with a man, I can easily match you with a female shooter, many who happen to be licensed by the state as firearm instructors. I will keep this invitation open for as long as I live in this state.

I look forwarding to hearing from you,

Christopher Mantia

[shock] What a babbling idiot. She is way too out of touch to be in the position she is in. [shock]

Jeremiah said:
5 people were shot in a wealthy neighborhood in Dorchester. Apparently the son had turned his parent's basement into a music studio, and someone came in and shot up the studio yesterday. Although it in is "Dorchester", this neighborhood is an enclave of mansions.

I know your info gives your location as Dorchester, but I don't think Bourneside would qualify as "wealthy". The mansions down there were built in the late 19th or early 20th century. I'd say it now qualifies as "working class".

BTW, for those who remember the New Kids on the Block, they grew up in the neighborhood back when it was more middle class.

But I digress.

Well, I may be betraying my own financial status. The houses are in the $1mil range. That counts as wealthy to me. It might actually be middle class in this state.

Definitely as you move into that neighborhood from Dorchester, you get back to the more typical 3-story woodframe flattop that scars the Boston landscape, but on the streets right around that park there are big houses with lots of lawn, fresh paint and nice landscaping.

I'll have to drive down there tomorrow or Friday. I know that prices in some parts of Boston have gone way up, but I didn't know that Fields Corner was that up and coming. Of course the Doherty Playground was always known as "Town Field" in the old days.

Gary

Well, you seem to be more right than I am. The Boston Globe wrote some more information in a new article:

"The house on Bourneside Street is a triple-decker typical of the multifamily homes that dot Boston's working-class neighborhoods. The house is located near Fields Corner, a mostly gentrified neighborhood of stately Victorians."

I thought this happened in one of the "stately Victorians"; apparently it happened in one of the triple-deckers. (I may be off by a street in remembering where the Stately Victorians start to appear. The last time I looked at the neighborhood street-by-street was two years ago. I could have sworn the big houses started at the park and went 2-4 blocks in. Maybe the street that abutts the park is triple-deckers and the Victorians are behind them).

The Victorians in the neighborhood are mostly on Melville Ave, though some are scattered on the side streets. The neighborhood itself is, as the kids say, sketchy.

The last time I paid any attention to any individual house that I wasn't about to go into, most of them were run down. Or maybe run downish would be more accurate.

As to the Globe article, I think the author has a bit of an imagination. I think "mostly gentrified" is a bit of an overstatement. There are far more triple deckers than stately Victorians. When those were built Dorchester was the suburbs. The triple deckers came later. At one time, different members of the same family inhabited all three floors, but those days are long gone.

Hello All, I was just listening to the NRA News on Sirius Patriot 144 and the host, Cam Stewart, mentioned both the Menino article and the wild comments of Maureen Feeny. If you have time I suggest listening to the final minutes of the show at www.nranews.com. Hopefully he will get the host of WRKO on the air and do a follow up story.

I sent off an e-mail myself. The b*** [evil] I wish we could do away with the first amendment just as quickly as she'd do with the second. To think our men and women have died, and continue to die, to protect our rights that she so publically despises.

she's a friggin nut case. and i'm being nice

sure let's disarm and arrest all the lawabiding citizens and let the gangs(with their illegal guns) run rampant through the city.

i think she's more then a few french fries short of a happy meal.(she's missing the fries and drink all together)

[twisted] man,you gotta love em [twisted]

Back
Top Bottom