5 reasons metal detectors in schools are a bad idea, according to security expert

Reptile

NES Member
Some schools with chronic violence and weapon violations have installed metal detectors at their entrances, screening students for contraband as they arrive. That conversation has started in Worcester, where police have arrested several students in the past few weeks for possession of firearms, among other potentially deadly weapons.

A security audit is underway and metal detectors are on the table, although there is community and City Council resistance.

Ken Trump, president of Cleveland-based National School Safety and Security Services, believes metal detectors are an unsustainable, knee-jerk political reaction. He cautions against their use for practical reasons like cost, and because they are often seen as a replacement for better strategies.

Trump has been a school safety consultant for 30 years and Congress has invited him to testify on the topic four times since 1999. He also provided testimony to the task force that was formed after the Sandy Hook shooting and frequently appears as an expert on national news programs.

Continues:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/05/6_reasons_metal_detectors_in_s.html#incart_river

--------
There is no way to stop guns and weapons from getting into school.

The way to minimize school shootings is by having armed staff or security.

A criminal would think twice if he or she knew they would meet armed resistance while going on a rampage.

Ever notice that school shootings stop by the attacker committing suicide as soon as they meet armed resistance?

No metal detector will find a 3D gun anyway.

Does Worcester have a 3D shop class?

Does the cafeteria serve lunch with sporks?

I can see having metal detectors being a possible deterrent to most situations, especially otherwise honest people who CC, but go by the "concealed means concealed" philosophy, but they won't do crap to stop a motivated shooter intent on doing harm. I say this to my wife every time I have to drop stuff off at our daughter's school. They have locked doors with an intercom system as a "security" measure to prevent unauthorized entry. Seems good in theory, but all anyone has to say is that they are there to drop off something for a student, and they get buzzed in. No questions about who you are, or who you are dropping stuff off for, etc. It's all feel good bullshit that keeps the already honest people, honest, and that's it. A determined shooter wouldn't care about the alarm since someone would likely set off a manual alarm as soon as it was discovered he was in the building anyway, so I don't see that it would be much, if any deterrent at all.

The only ones you would catch are the ones who didn't intend to do anything with it. It's not like at the airport, where the checkpoint is far removed from the target. Once you are at the metal detector in the school, you are already in position to start shooting. Unless they had some sort of double door system in addition to the detector.

Sign number one that it might be time to move to a better neighborhood

Your children's school has metal detectors

I wonder if they have them at Sidwell Friends where the Obama daughters go....

The one-time installation cost can buy a sense of security "instead of investing in more longer-term strategies that are focused on people," Trump said.
Trump said the best way to find out about a weapon in school is to build relationships with students and make them feel comfortable reporting it to a trusted adult.

Many of the best security measures are invisible, he said. They include training staff on lockdown procedures and providing access to mental health care and guidance counselors: "The first and best line of defense is a highly alert and well-trained staff and student body."

Hmm so metal detectors just offer a false sense of security and are no substitute to actually focusing on strategies that involve people??

I wonder why the didn't ask the guy what he thinks of "gun free zones".

This is the same thing as the Enfield armed guard thread tho. The people working the metal detectors don't do it for free. So in three years they will either be unattended or to much to run. This will be worse though because your going to have several of these for people to go through in the morning then leave until the afternoon except one guard? Although if it gives me Leo status so I can get sbrs and cheapo glocks sign me up lol

Sign number one that it might be time to move to a better neighborhood

Your children's school has metal detectors

You say this now but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a de-facto thing at most public schools in the next 20 years. They're already basically very crappy, less secure versions of prisons.

-Mike

You say this now but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a de-facto thing at most public schools in the next 20 years. They're already basically very crappy, less secure versions of prisons.

-Mike
Yup. One use of schools by governments is to establish precedent. Obey. Do not fight. Become accustomed to searches.

Metal detectors? for what! can't you people read!

S2-9_DrugFreeGunFreeStockSign.jpg

( Sac on )

I worked for an inner city school in Mass that had portable metal detectors and would wheel them out occasionally to screen the students coming into the building. It was a joke.

Every student, yes every single one, would set off the metal detector with all of the jewelry that they wear. So each student had to be wanded.

Some of the first students in would run out back and prop open the doors so students could get in that way.

About half way through the screening the would give it up and turn off the metal detectors as it was taking too long.

I never did see anyone get caught with the metal detectors.

Back
Top Bottom