5 Realities Of Owning A Gun (The Media Never Talks About)

^ My assumption is that graph is misleading as, I would guess, fewer and fewer gun owners answer surveys about ownership truthfully...and who could blame them.

I don't know what you're talking about, I don't own any guns....[smile][laugh][rofl]

The only lies I believe ... are the ones I tell...

Let's face it, Big Macs have killed more Americans than gunz and nothing says 'Mericah more than a loaded gun under a sofa cushion, one in the breadbox, and another under your pillow, perhaps more... Happy Sunday!
Abortion is the leading cause of death in these United States. Guns at the ready are the least of our problems...

I feel bad for anyone who takes Cracked seriously. A couple highlights to explain why:
1. Alaska gun deaths: 177 gun related deaths (including suicides) in 2016 for the entire state! Guess what Chicago was in 2016? 762 with 3,550 shooting incident total (NOT including suicides). So an entire f*cking state which is the biggest in the union could not even come close to competing with a city. Yeah Alaska doesn't even have half the population of Chicago but I highly doubt population is the only factor here.
Violence Policy Center had to really stretch their definition of gun violence to put Alaska at the top of the ranking, primarily by including suicide -- take away the 80% of Alaskan firearm deaths that are self-inflicted, and the state drops well below the national average. As for why Alaska is so suicidal, it's mostly about isolation and demographics -- neither are easily changed (not that Progressives aren't trying!).

Progressives love to say "no guns, police are there for you", while ignoring the realities of police coverage in rural areas -- for example, in Anchorage you're lucky if you get an officer to show up within an hour (about the same as NH's North Country response time), while in Nunam Iqua your best case response time is 4 hours, and in Kake 12 hours is good, but with weather sometimes police response time is measured in days.

Violence Policy Center had to really stretch their definition of gun violence to put Alaska at the top of the ranking, primarily by including suicide -- take away the 80% of Alaskan firearm deaths that are self-inflicted, and the state drops well below the national average. As for why Alaska is so suicidal, it's mostly about isolation and demographics -- neither are easily changed (not that Progressives aren't trying!).

Progressives love to say "no guns, police are there for you", while ignoring the realities of police coverage in rural areas -- for example, in Anchorage you're lucky if you get an officer to show up within an hour (about the same as NH's North Country response time), while in Nunam Iqua your best case response time is 4 hours, and in Kake 12 hours is good, but with weather sometimes police response time is measured in days.

Alaska sounds wicked fun.

How many of those "gun owners" didnt have anyone at home to secure guns from? They make it sound like its parents with toddlers and it's just as likely to be 30yos with no kids in their house...
And with such "loose" storage, why doesn't north Carolina have sky high gun violence rates?

Regardless, the rate (per capita) of violent crime in Alaska is still extraordinarily high. Two things with which Alaska has to contend differently from the other 49: sunlight (excesses and the lack of throughout the year), and an aboriginal population who has to be kept a goodly country mile away from alcohol, lest they go absolutely batshit insane.

Regardless, the rate (per capita) of violent crime in Alaska is still extraordinarily high. Two things with which Alaska has to contend differently from the other 49: sunlight (excesses and the lack of throughout the year), and an aboriginal population who has to be kept a goodly country mile away from alcohol, lest they go absolutely batshit insane.
I heard some where I forget, in some cities up there they require a permit for alcohol.

I heard some where I forget, in some cities up there they require a permit for alcohol.

There are a lot of dry towns in Alaska and Canada. The indigenous population had no cultural history of alcohol consumption (the Inuit people never fermented anything) and their genetics as a result never evolved livers capable of metabolizing alcohol very well. Think of the worst types of drunk multiplied by a factor of 100. This isn't some crazy racist stereotype, it's a real problem. Shitty weather and boredom doesn't help keep people from drinking or getting into drugs either.

Look at Canada's murder rates and where they are clustered by territory. Outside of their cities which have similar drug/gang problems to ours there's an insane number of murders in the Inuit territories usually as the result of domestic disputes getting settled with a 12 gauge, 22lr, or .303 Brit.

Look at Canada's murder rates and where they are clustered by territory. Outside of their cities which have similar drug/gang problems to ours there's an insane number of murders in the Inuit territories usually as the result of domestic disputes getting settled with a 12 gauge, 22lr, or .303 Brit.
OTOH, take away all the firearms in Canada (or even just in the Inuit territories), and I doubt their life expectancy will increase to any statistically significantly degree.

OTOH, take away all the firearms in Canada (or even just in the Inuit territories), and I doubt their life expectancy will increase to any statistically significantly degree.

I agree with you, the murders that occur due to alcohol induced violence are going to happen regardless if firearms are available. The perpetrators would just use some other tool. Until you've seen someone totally loose their shit on alcohol and raging on every ounce of adrenaline in their body, you don't really appreciate how dangerous the average human being can be even unarmed.

usa-gun-ownership-72-17.png
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ate-the-number-of-gun-owners-thats-a-problem/

Another Myth corrected - some BS study finding fewer own guns than almost any other study has found. You can bet this will be the media’s Go-To statistics. My wife doesn’t “own” any guns but she has access to mine - yet another gunowner!

Drawing on sources cited by gun rights and gun regulation groups, we estimated — generously — that roughly 20 to 30 percent of Americans personally own one or more guns. Our survey respondents, however, estimated on average that 43 percent of their fellow citizens own guns — a significant overestimate. What’s more, nearly 45 percent of our respondents estimated that 50 percent or more of the U.S. population owns at least one gun.”

Of course, the article fails to mention that the Alaska death rates are also largely impacted by gun suicide deaths, and not by gun violence murder (and there are a number of influences, directly linked to other factors that are unique to that very northern, sun-limited, remote region):

1/2/19 article: Alaska’s suicide rate on the rise, report says

See, I don't get that. I mean, I get that isolation bothers some people but honestly, a year or two in the wilderness, provided I have a warm cabin, food and "maybe" an internet connection but at LEAST a ton of books and I'd be in heaven.

54 percent of gun owners overall admitted that they did not store their guns safely. No gun safes, no cabinets, no trigger locks, not even a passive-aggressive Post-It note telling everyone not to touch their stuff.

Wonder if burglars give those households a good leaving-alone?

You’re making me feel like an especially violent Schroeder.

2su6tf.jpg

See, I don't get that. I mean, I get that isolation bothers some people but honestly, a year or two in the wilderness, provided I have a warm cabin, food and "maybe" an internet connection but at LEAST a ton of books and I'd be in heaven.
meanwhileinfinland2.jpg

Alaska as the whitest state in the union? That guy's living in fantasy land. I just looked up the numbers in the World Almanac. Alaska is 66.5% white, which believe it or not , is lower than Alabama at 69.5% white. I've always heard that northern New England were the whitest states which is borne out by the numbers: Maine 94.9% white, Vermont 94.8%, and New Hampshire at 93.9%. Some people never let the facts get in their way.

This.

The only problem with that though is I could see myself possibly becoming a bit over paranoid the longer I'm out there.

Imagine one day while surveying your AO off in the distance you glass some douchey skinny jean wearing, organic fair trade latte sipping SJW type and their "bros" documenting the beauty and stillness of isolation looking to share it with the like minded echo chamber in which they reside.

In a flash my mind would race with the implications of my little slice of Heaven getting out into the world. Roads being built, gated cul-de-sacs popping up everywhere, a bucks on every other corner opposite pretentious microbreweries which host those dipshit spoken word nights. Forced integration of whatever acronym de jour the far left social media sites have latched onto for the moment. My mind continues down the rabbit hole for what seems like forever, then I snap out of the horror.

Everything they touch, they ruin. Everything.

My biggest concern, being the humanitarian that I am, is that an accident that far outside of cellular coverage may befall them before I could make it to them for assistance. Then again by no means do I even resemble anything close to being a medic so... they might not make it. Just sayin.

Alaska has the highest male to female ratio off any state in the country, and it is probably worse for persons of prime working age. Without normal service of the call of nature, the energy and frustration can lead to excess drinking, fights, etc.

As to "whitest in the union" - it depends on what you call white. I suspect they are using the definition of "not black", so the natives all count white as well.

Sortuv O.T.
Lip, it always pleases me to see that folks are still quoting Robert. After his death, Ginny used to get a big kick out of that. Whenever I see one of those quotes, it makes me think of her.

As an aside, Robert popularized that Tanstaafl acronym, but didn't originate it. Jerry Pournelle's grandfather was the original source.

Back
Top Bottom