• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5 Realities Of Owning A Gun (The Media Never Talks About)

commodon

NES Member
This looks like a steaming pile to me, but the following is in brief from 5 Realities Of Owning A Gun (The Media Never Talks About) | Cracked.com

5. Most Gun Violence Happens In States Nobody Talks About

Chicago is the gun fanatic's favorite stick to beat opponents with. That's because despite its strict gun laws, the city is still deemed the most violent place in all of America. So that proves gun control doesn't work. Right? Only one little caveat: The state with the most gun violence isn't Illinois. That honor goes to the whitest state in the union, Alaska.

4. Many Gun Owners Aren't "Responsible"

A small study of North Carolina parents showed that 99 percent reported having a smoke detector, but only 57 percent admitted to locking up guns so that kids couldn't get them. Additionally, 36 percent of those families admit they keep them loaded! Don't they read Chekhov in North Carolina? A much larger survey found that 54 percent of gun owners overall admitted that they did not store their guns safely. No gun safes, no cabinets, no trigger locks, not even a passive-aggressive Post-It note telling everyone not to touch their stuff.

3. Mass Shootings Consistently Lead To Looser Gun Laws, Not Stricter Ones

Since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012, almost half of the country has expanded, rather than tightened, its gun control laws. Since 2014, you can now walk around in a Georgia airport with a loaded weapon. It's also now cool in Tennessee to carry a loaded gun in a car without a concealed carry permit, kind of thanks to Newtown. One guy tries to blow up a plane with a shoe, and we all have to take our shoes off for the TSA forever, but a dozen kids get mowed down by bullets, and Ohio makes it perfectly legal to conceal-carry in daycare centers. But it's not all bad. In Oregon, it's now illegal to buy a gun if you have been convicted of stalking or domestic violence.

2. The NRA Does Not Represent The Average Gun Owner

Pew research has shown that NRA members are more than twice as likely as other gun owners to keep five or more guns and carry one around all the time like an especially violent Linus. Politically, they're also way more obsessed with gun rights, are likely to contact their representatives about gun issues on a regular basis, and are less likely to support strict background checks.

1. There Are Fewer And Fewer Gun Owners (But More Guns)

There are now enough guns in America for every man, woman, child, and Shih Tzu to carry. But that doesn't mean gun ownership is on the rise. On the contrary, while there are more guns out there than you can shake a gun at, they are owned by a very small number of people. And that number is shrinking every year.

Last edited:
Why would you post this crap without any of your own commentary? Give the opposition a few more hits on their site? I think most of us on NES have seen our share of such drivel and it's getting old. Seriously, that's disappointing...

There are piles and piles of such articles, and they all smell like a 'pile'. Most of us know the BS behind the stats. For example, remove suicides, accidents, etc. from the Alaska figures and Alaska drops down towards the bottom of the list. Numero uno District of Columbia's murder rate by gun is more than double that of #2, and given DOC's draconian gun laws it presents a meaningful statistic that easily refutes that piece of trash on Cracked.

Neither smoke detectors nor locked up guns are required here in NH. Aanyone judging my level of responsibility based on those two data points is an ignorant liberal with an evil agenda (well they all have the evil agenda).

Neither smoke detectors nor locked up guns are required here in NH. Aanyone judging my level of responsibility based on those two data points is an ignorant liberal with an evil agenda (well they all have the evil agenda).
All my guns are the free ranging variety... They seem to shoot better when not otherwise kept in locked cages. ;)

Why would you post this crap without any of your own commentary? Give the opposition a few more hits on their site? I think most of us on NES have seen our share of such drivel and it's getting old. Seriously, that's disappointing...

There are piles and piles of such articles, and they all smell like a 'pile'. Most of us know the BS behind the stats. For example, remove suicides, accidents, etc. from the Alaska figures and Alaska drops down towards the bottom of the list. Numero uno District of Columbia's murder rate by gun is more than double that of #2, and given DOC's draconian gun laws it presents a meaningful statistic that easily refutes that piece of trash on Cracked.

Just because I didn't post my own commentary in regards to the article doesn't mean I agree with it so for you to assume otherwise shows you're a bit presumptuous. Aside from that I posted the article because it's fairly recent (within the last six months) and I thought it would generate discussion 'cause you know, this is a board where participants have the opportunity to discuss various topics.

Under what criteria does Alaska have more gun violence than Illinois? Per capita? Percentage of legal gun owners? Pure numbers? Without quantifying the basis of the result, it is pure conjecture. A case of reading the facts to fit your narrative.
"Gun violence" is a dumb stat - the one that counts is "violent crime" (= murder, rape, robbery, assault) and yes, Alaska is #1 per capita in violent crime.

Under what criteria does Alaska have more gun violence than Illinois? Per capita? Percentage of legal gun owners? Pure numbers? Without quantifying the basis of the result, it is pure conjecture. A case of reading the facts to fit your narrative.
Which is SOP for liberals/libtards everywhere.

They lumped in hunting kills. Every wild animal is 3/5ths of a person.
And even firing a gun to them is a violent act, hence... gun violence.

“Especially violent Linus.”

That ought to join “felon-in-waiting” as a standard NES label.

And yes, OP, your posting of that with no snark was very noncromulent.

I didn't post my comments for no reason other than to leave it to others to discuss the content of the article. Albeit much of it is maligned.

Since 2014, you can now walk around in a Georgia airport with a loaded weapon.

Why yes, yes you can. Right up to the secured area for departing passengers which is clearly marked "No firearms past this point".

We have people carrying guns EVERYWHERE down here. I see senior citizens carrying guns in the grocery stores, (that's actually true by the way).
It's AWESOME.

Please don't post this clickbait garbage and give them traffic and search engine rankings.

Every "point" in that article is factually debated to outright fabricated by the anti-gun lobby. The "fewer gun owners" is the most laughable shit out there when the number of licenses nationwide, not even counting Constitutional Carry states, has gone up dramatically since 2000 while overall crime committed with firearms has dropped to record lows.

Even the comment about "Oregon and domestic violence" is bullshit since the Latenburg amendment of 1997 made DV a disqualifier nationally 22 years ago.

Some 27 year old know-nothing sipping his soy-milk latte wrote this after getting a talking points memo from one of Bloomberg & company's many astroturf groups.

Let's face it, Big Macs have killed more Americans than gunz and nothing says 'Mericah more than a loaded gun under a sofa cushion, one in the breadbox, and another under your pillow, perhaps more... Happy Sunday!

Agreed. In fact, gun-related incidents are not even in the Top 10.

Rabble rouser much ?

I can see some might think that, but that's not the reason why I posted the article. It's a recent article and I often find it interesting to read the opponents view on what's often a controversial subject. And persons who are proponent, who take the time to comment often provide additional insight and opinions that are helpful to everyone who has an interest.

People are free to store their property as they see fit. Beer kills people, pills kill people, electrical outlets kill people, pools kill people, blah. It's BS

How about leading with 'this looks like a steaming pile to me, but.....'

because it is.

And as an NRA member I have a multiple of the 'over 5 guns', and I do call my rep, and I don't lock up my guns at our NH place when I'm there because my kids know better, and I do carry every day and fark them with their 'gun violence' aggregation statistic.

How about leading with 'this looks like a steaming pile to me, but.....'

because it is.

And as an NRA member I have a multiple of the 'over 5 guns', and I do call my rep, and I don't lock up my guns at our NH place when I'm there because my kids know better, and I do carry every day and fark them with their 'gun violence' aggregation statistic.

If this helps others to not misunderstand my intention, then consider it done... ;)

I feel bad for anyone who takes Cracked seriously. A couple highlights to explain why:

1. Alaska gun deaths: 177 gun related deaths (including suicides) in 2016 for the entire state! Guess what Chicago was in 2016? 762 with 3,550 shooting incident total (NOT including suicides). So an entire f*cking state which is the biggest in the union could not even come close to competing with a city. Yeah Alaska doesn't even have half the population of Chicago but I highly doubt population is the only factor here.

2. So people are buying handguns in Indiana? Thugs with records are getting their handguns shipped from Indiana to an FFL in Illinois to purchase? Nah. No matter where or how they are buying it they are violating existing gun laws in every damn state.

3. "There are fewer gun owners"

usa-gun-ownership-72-17.png

Just because I didn't post my own commentary in regards to the article doesn't mean I agree with it so for you to assume otherwise shows you're a bit presumptuous. Aside from that I posted the article because it's fairly recent (within the last six months) and I thought it would generate discussion 'cause you know, this is a board where participants have the opportunity to discuss various topics.

I didn't assume you agreed with the article. Now you are being presumptuous :p. Seems that over the last year or so, we get a lot of OP's just dropping click bait into the start of a thread. Honestly, I'd much rather read your take on something. Forum members' opinions vary, but most of the time they are better developed than the drivel that various sites post as journalism.

Back
Top Bottom