• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5 Best Selling Handguns of 2017

The PMR-30 is the only one on that list that surprises me. The rest, not so much. I guess Kel-Tec is far more popular in free states where you can actually buy them.

The PMR-30 is the only one on that list that surprises me. The rest, not so much. I guess Kel-Tec is far more popular in free states where you can actually buy them.

I don't know anyone that has a PMR-30.
My friends are all smart enough to know that .22WMR is a next-to-useless chambering, and for the same price you can reload and shoot centerfire calibers such as 9mm and .38sp.

I am surprised that the S&W Shield isn't in the top 5, they must have sold a zillion of them, especially when they were giving a $75 rebate.

I don't know anyone that has a PMR-30.
My friends are all smart enough to know that .22WMR is a next-to-useless chambering, and for the same price you can reload and shoot centerfire calibers such as 9mm and .38sp.

I am surprised that the S&W Shield isn't in the top 5, they must have sold a zillion of them, especially when they were giving a $75 rebate.

They may have lumped the shield in with the M&P? I don't know why, but who knows. I think they just make shit up for these articles sometimes.

Edit: the Shield 9 is in the top 5. I just went back and looked. The image shown is the full size M&P 9 2.0 for some reason, but the article says Shield for the entry. Can't count on Yahoo to get anything right.

They may have lumped the shield in with the M&P? I don't know why, but who knows. I think they just make shit up for these articles sometimes.

Edit: the Shield 9 is in the top 5. I just went back and looked. The image shown is the full size M&P 9 2.0 for some reason, but the article says Shield for the entry. Can't count on Yahoo to get anything right.

OK, that's what confused me.
So at least they confirm what we already guessed, S&W sold a metric sh*tload of Shields, probably due to the rebates.
I bought a .45 version myself and a buddy of mine bought two 9mm versions, one with and one without the thumb safety.
So now that everyone who wanted a Shield pretty much has one now, it didn't help S&W's bottom line very much because they killed their profits with the rebates.
BTW, PSA is still selling the 9mm Shield for $249, and the Ruger LCP (.380) is selling for $169.

Last edited:
Wonder why they limited it to just semi auto handguns? I want to know what handguns in general are best selling

I'm personally surprised the G19 is still that popular with all the micro-9's out there. 938 is a head-shaker. I get that some people like a 1911-style, but I never thought that many would go with a 1911 micro-9. Especially at the much higher price-point than a Shield or G43.

I wouldn't take this too seriously. They basically averaged the monthly top 5 pistols from Gunbroker. It's not really good data at all.

keltec pistols are pretty bad. I like the su16 rifle though. I have one and it is fun to shoot, and quality is not bad

No surprises at all on those top 5.
Kel-Tec, isn't that the gun George Z made famous?

Oh yeah!! Everyone hates on them but they do get the job done!! It sure did dish out some justice for Trayvon pretty well.

I have one for shits and giggles because it’s cheap. Other than a really long double action only trigger, it’s ok.

I had a P32 that, after a trip to the factory, was flawless. I had a P11 the same way. I had a P3AT that worked fine, but was a few oz too light to be reliable. Bodyguard seemed a better alternative.

I have a 9mm rifle from them that is damned accurate. Scary accurate. And reliable.

I'd not make them a first-choice in a lot of arenas. (The pistols were all only-one-of-a-category at the times I bought them.) But they did go bang with regularity.

I guess I really am in the minority not liking Rugers. My buddy picked up a Ruger 1911 in 10mm and that was the only Ruger I have ever shot that didn't seem like junk to me. I would (and probably will) buy an XD all day over their crap.

Happy that the 938 is on there. I have a 238 but, same deal. Great little gun.

read the methodology of the person who wrote the article. He got his data by skimming Gunbroker.com.

The PMR-30 is generally not available through distribution. Someone is siphoning off the PMR-30 and selling them on gunbroker. I know of dealers who had to buy off gunbroker because they could not get form distribution. I had to wait for 6 months to finally be offered one through distribution and I had to take a S&W Shield in 40SW Performance Center also to get the PMR-30.

A lot of 938s were discontinued and went on super sale. I suspect a lot of dealers bought them and could not sell locally and pushed them on GM

The Shield has the same story. Great distributor pricing/sale resulting in lots of GB posts.

The only data that looks real is the G19 data. GB is NOT a good source for overall sales by model.

I like Ruger's 1911s but can't say I care for the pistols. The revolvers I like too as well as the Mark IV standard but I can take or leave the rest. Still on the fence about the Sig p238/p938...Shield I just can't rack so no interest there...at this point though for me, I really don't need another gun....not that it ever stops me...

I like Ruger's 1911s but can't say I care for the pistols. The revolvers I like too as well as the Mark IV standard but I can take or leave the rest. Still on the fence about the Sig p238/p938...Shield I just can't rack so no interest there...at this point though for me, I really don't need another gun....not that it ever stops me...

Good point about the Mark IV, forgot about that one. Not a big .22 guy, but those are nice.

I'm personally surprised the G19 is still that popular with all the micro-9's out there. 938 is a head-shaker. I get that some people like a 1911-style, but I never thought that many would go with a 1911 micro-9. Especially at the much higher price-point than a Shield or G43.

The Glock 19 is the do everything well handgun, and no too many others come close. I would bet in actual sales it out sells all but the P320 combined.

read the methodology of the person who wrote the article. He got his data by skimming Gunbroker.com.

GB is NOT a good source for overall sales by model.

Yeah, this story is garbage, written by someone who knows very little about the industry.

Wonder why they limited it to just semi auto handguns? I want to know what handguns in general are best selling

Because judging by the photo of "The Shield," the person that wrote the article probably doesn't know the first thing about guns....I'm guessing...

Because judging by the photo of "The Shield," the person that wrote the article probably doesn't know the first thing about guns....I'm guessing...

Ok, you may have a point. I was giving the benefit of the doubt. My bad.

Back
Top Bottom