• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5.56 Rfiles and Massachusetts

Newer Ltc owner in mass here. I own a couple handguns and a Ruger 10/22 but really would like to explore what is out there as far as 5.56 rifles in mass. I’ve been looking at the ar-15 but I really want a detachable magazine with the possibility of preban(94) magazine support. Most places such as reddit suggest I build a preban lower but I’d like to hear about what else is out there for new options.

I love my 10/22 and for the price the mini 14 seems to be a good choice but the lack of a pistol grip really gets me and from what I can tell is a lack of preban mag support.

What is legal in mass to buy new with a detachable mag on a semi auto rifle with pre ban mag support in 5.56? Could I add a tactical stock to the mini 14 which adds banned features and be in compliance?

This one is pretty accurate once I figured out what I couldnt own!
See if the following is helpful....:
mods if this is not the appropriate place for this please delete...

after reading this thread I asked my staff to work out a $39 Anderson stripped lower sale...we are working on the details and will post the sale as soon as we get it confirmed...I believe our normal price for these is $49.

I think they had 1 left in display case. They have replaced their polymer lowers with anderson lowers. Still the same deal. Affidavit stating lowers will be registered as .17 or .22.

AR-15 "preban mags" are not "preban" because of the rifle, it's when the mags were manufactured that matters.

Last edited:
What is legal in mass to buy new with a detachable mag on a semi auto rifle with pre ban mag support in 5.56? Could I add a tactical stock to the mini 14 which adds banned features and be in compliance?

A new mini14 (except in Boston) could use preban magazines and a pistol grip if you fixed the stock and did not have a threaded muzzle or muzzle device. The availability of preban magazines for the Mini14 isn't great.

You are better buying a rifle that is MA compliant (fixed stock, no muzzle device or threading) which can take preban NATO standard magazines. If you live in Boston any rifle magazines over 10 aren't legal due to a city ordinance and you can't own AR pattern and most other common rifles, which makes the Mini14 more relevant.

Welcome aboard. The are plenty of preban and post ban rifles in the classified.

Bob

I wish I knew how to do one of those images with the guy eating popcorn, cuz this will be a fun one to watch.

Oh, and welcome aboard. Enjoy the hazing.... I mean welcoming comments. :) Pete

BDC4-B03-E-96-A4-4272-8-EC5-5-A88-A102599-B.png

Congrats on being a ltc "owner. I too love my 10/22 but wanted to go 5.56 but not .223 luckily Ruger sells a bolt on 5.56 attachment for the 10/22 similar to the grenade launcher but obviously less lethal. Best of both worlds.

First, Welcome to NES.
Second, there are many, many discussions here to ponder using the search feature.
You may not get a direct answer to your question by asking it.
More likely to find it through research.
Why? Because the answer could fill volumes...

So, if you are legit and want a nice AR with 30-round mags... they are around.

~Enbloc

...and worth the effort.

prebanar.jpg

9753219_1.jpg

Good deed for the day, I’ll make a legitimate attempt.
Hello @z3ke I have multiple examples of different options. I would be happy to meet up and let you try them out. I live in North Central MA near NH and work near Southshore and RI. so I could meet at a variety of suitable ranges. Reply in thread not PM so others can follow conversation.

Good deed for the day, I’ll make a legitimate attempt.
Hello @z3ke I have multiple examples of different options. I would be happy to meet up and let you try them out. I live in North Central MA near NH and work near Southshore and RI. so I could meet at a variety of suitable ranges. Reply in thread not PM so others can follow conversation.

Did they ever find the body of that last new registrant that asked a similar question?

Newer Ltc owner in mass here. I own a couple handguns and a Ruger 10/22 but really would like to explore what is out there as far as 5.56 rifles in mass. I’ve been looking at the ar-15 but I really want a detachable magazine with the possibility of preban(94) magazine support. Most places such as reddit suggest I build a preban lower but I’d like to hear about what else is out there for new options.

I love my 10/22 and for the price the mini 14 seems to be a good choice but the lack of a pistol grip really gets me and from what I can tell is a lack of preban mag support.

read up on the actual written laws
you cant add "evil" features to a non "evil" gun ......
Theres plenty of "normal" ARs out there in mass to buy.

As for building off a "preban" lower there are problems especially with front pin size. Plus its often cheaper to just buy a complete preban rifle
The FIRST thing you do is find a FFL that knows the laws and regulations and KNOWS what he can transfer. There are old ARs outside the walls of the commiewealth of mass that you can transfer in. Friends have found them in their travels and sent them to a FFL here. All good. plus paid normal grandpa's gun prices .

I still haven’t got a reply. I guess the statehouse had this week off.
actually just went out and started an ar 15 pre ban. Took some advice from others and bit the bullet but going to be worth it. Waiting a couple weeks for the complete build. Going to post some pics when it is done

Back
Top Bottom