• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5.56 federal msr gone from Target Sports in record time

DJBrad

NES Member
99807502-FBAB-426A-8F1C-A0C8DE6A3474.png At 1pm there were 35 1k round cases left and I thought to myself I should order soon. Check just now and it’s out of stock!! Wut?!

Man am I late to that party

Must be the rebate still live that has people eatin it up.

CMP sold 7500, 5000 round cases of 22lr in less time.

Im sure the $50 rebate per case helped.

Remember this also:

Some distributors do not put all their inventory into the online "Available Inventory" cache, which aids them in not "over-selling" a product that is on sale or "special priced".
This cache must be replenished in "virtual lots" as they see fit and may not reflect "actual Inventory".

(Anyone who has dealt with the CMP E-Store will understand this.)

If you really want the deal, try calling their Sales Department and asking if they can "help out a good customer"...

The Human Voice can still go places no keystroke can...

Remember this also:
If you really want the deal, try calling their Sales Department and asking if they can "help out a good customer"...

The Human Voice can still go places no keystroke can...

Thanks Matt

I forget that principle all too often

They do have this available when I checked at .27 cents per round:
4316.jpg

It's worked well in my AR's and has many good reviews on Target Sports.

Well I checked and found there was one more loose case left of the Federal ammo plant .223 with the shiny brass in stock. So now it’s coming to me. Apparently the Lake City stuff is highly reloadable due to the annealing process making the brass have that tarnished look. Reloaders’ comment?

This will be a good comparison to the msr 5.56 that I burned through already. That was good stuff. I like the idea of the highly polished brass like the other Federal american eagle 124 gr 9mm 1k that I shot through many different platforms as well. I also snatched up the last 3 boxes of Independence 5.56 from LC.

Here’s a quote from the Q&A section of the bulk .223 page:

Question:I like what my friends call "Lake City ammo. The 55 grain FMJ had a NATO symbol and "LC" as part of the head stamp. Several vendors offer Federal 55s and 62s in different boxes. Some with American Eagle, others just "plain box" Federal. How do I determine which has the highly-reloadable "LC" brass? Rather than counted on (90% BS) forums, I just want to know what the "genuine LC/NATO stamp boxes look like. Thanks - jeff (02/21/2018)
Response:Hi Jeff, the easiest way to tell is by looking at the brass. If the brass is polished and shiny that means it comes from the Federal Ammunition Plant and it is not Mil-Spec Lake City. Lake City brass and ammunition goes through an annealing process and looks tarnished, but it is as you know better quality etc. Hopefully this information helps. Thank you for buying ammo at TargetSportsUSA.com

Last edited:
Oh, and after doing a Duck, Duck, Go! search for a photo of the Lake City Ammunition Plant using the "moderate" safe search value... I got one of these:

iu

'Cause Ammo ...

Duck, Duck, Go! gonna' have ta GO!, GO!, GO!

AIM years ago got in a conex of 5.45. Something like 1.3 plus million rounds. It was gone in a few hours. That was right when 5.45 dried up a few years ago and it was the only surplus posted at that point. Got in on it early, waited a short while to buy more and it was gone.

Target sports will be back with some more shortly is my guess.

i choose wolf gold 223 over federal XM193 all day long. it shoots more accurately and smoother. wold gold is my preferred brass cased 55gr ammo.
That’s high praise. I’ll consider it seriously Squib. With the rebate for all the Federal stuff the price is still $23 cheaper though based on the reviews Wolf Gold seems to be top notch ammo. One thing I would like to support is US made stuff keeping those ammo plants running well here on precious soil. I don’t mind buying Russian ammo whether made there or in Taiwan when it comes to 7.62x39. Loaded to 5.56 pressure, eh? Where is this info gleaned from?

Last edited:
Well I checked and found there was one more loose case left of the Federal ammo plant .223 with the shiny brass in stock. So now it’s coming to me. Apparently the Lake City stuff is highly reloadable due to the annealing process making the brass have that tarnished look. Reloaders’ comment?

This will be a good comparison to the msr 5.56 that I burned through already. That was good stuff. I like the idea of the highly polished brass like the other Federal american eagle 124 gr 9mm 1k that I shot through many different platforms as well. I also snatched up the last 3 boxes of Independence 5.56 from LC.

Here’s a quote from the Q&A section of the bulk .223 page:

Question:I like what my friends call "Lake City ammo. The 55 grain FMJ had a NATO symbol and "LC" as part of the head stamp. Several vendors offer Federal 55s and 62s in different boxes. Some with American Eagle, others just "plain box" Federal. How do I determine which has the highly-reloadable "LC" brass? Rather than counted on (90% BS) forums, I just want to know what the "genuine LC/NATO stamp boxes look like. Thanks - jeff (02/21/2018)
Response:Hi Jeff, the easiest way to tell is by looking at the brass. If the brass is polished and shiny that means it comes from the Federal Ammunition Plant and it is not Mil-Spec Lake City. Lake City brass and ammunition goes through an annealing process and looks tarnished, but it is as you know better quality etc. Hopefully this information helps. Thank you for buying ammo at TargetSportsUSA.com

Ugh LC brass is no better than any of the other M193/855/223 brass out thier.
LC brass does not get any special treatment. Other than the primer and bullet are crimped and sealed on 5.56 NATO.
As for "annealing" all brass gets annealed in the process. "Mil spec" or NATO brass is not polished after the fact.

Back
Top Bottom