49 SKS- The Holy Grail of Russian SKS!!

40 caliber

NES Member
49 Tula and 53 Izzy. They are both up their on hard to find (or hard to pay for) RUSSIAN SKSs. Yes the Korean NVA , the chinese papered vietnam bringback can be more difficult to land (unless your Martin08 [rolleyes]).

I have the 53 Izzy (actually 2) and the 54 Izzy non refurbs, the untouched, unissued 55 tula letter gun but the 49 has always eluded me. recently this one became available and I jumped on it. 2 years ago I walked away from one of these for $200 less than I ended up paying today. I think we all know this story. The only consolation is that this is a better piece. She is not perfect with the arsenal repair or being a refurb, but the artic birch is beautiful. These pics don't do do the stock justice. The bolt is in the white and there is no barbeque paint, and she is also all matching..

It is missing some early features of the 49 (the spike bayonet for example) but does have some of the others.

Between the 3 CMP Garands , the Mauser and now the 49 SKS it has been a great 2 weeks. I need to slow down before my wife throws me and my guns out. .......

Now Martin, about that Chinese SKS papered bringback we were discussing......[hmmm]

Last edited:
Been fishin', 40Cal, and missed this post yesterday. But looking today, it appears mighty fine.

Check inside for the early bolt/carrier and springed firing pin.

Non-SKS guy speaking here; is the '49 the first year?

MS

Yup. Aside from the trial rifles of 1945 (hence, SKS-45) which were reported to accompany the Soviets in the battle of Berlin. But none of those are on the market.

The first year of full scale military production was 1949. Nearly all of them are refurbished to one extent or another, as well. In many years of following the SKS, I have seen pictures of 1 non-refurbished '49.

Yup. Aside from the trial rifles of 1945 (hence, SKS-45) which were reported to accompany the Soviets in the battle of Berlin. But none of those are on the market.

The first year of full scale military production was 1949. Nearly all of them are refurbished to one extent or another, as well. In many years of following the SKS, I have seen pictures of 1 non-refurbished '49.

So a K-date in Mauser terms.

MS

Another great find, Tom! Looks like you're hitting the mother lode these months.

Yup. Aside from the trial rifles of 1945 (hence, SKS-45) which were reported to accompany the Soviets in the battle of Berlin.

Would you know of a hard proof of SKS trial rifles having been used at the end of WWII in Europe?
Over here the issue is, that they are not covered by collectors permits restricted to WWII.

So a K-date in Mauser terms.

MS

No. 7462 (no suffix) resides downstairs[smile].

Would you know of a hard proof of SKS trial rifles having been used at the end of WWII in Europe?

Hard proof, meaning written Soviet military documents, no. And though I can't pull up the pics in a search right now, there have been photos I've seen of Russians street fighting in Berlin with a very "SKS looking" short rifle.

Would stand to reason, as it was only a prototype in 1945, that there was never a general issue to the troops. But as with the 1943 dated M44 Mosin Nagant, trials of the SKS would have been likely before mass production began.

Wish I could point to a document for you. Many other SKS enthusiasts have sought the same absolute proof with no satisfaction. Which is why I initially stated that prototypes were "reported" to have accompanied the Soviets, and not officially "documented".

Dang, they have tough laws in Europe. Hoping it never sinks to that level, here.

Dang, they have tough laws in Europe. Hoping it never sinks to that level, here.

Well, depends for what area and timeframe the permit has been issued.
My first was for firearms used by German forces with a year of construction up to 1945, including captures.
It covers the (semi auto) Tommy Gun, the Garands and the SVT40, too.
I've got an extension for "Mauser firearms, licensed and unlicensed and copies" with no restriction as to
time frame a few years after the first one. Once pecuniary circumstances allow for it, I'll go for "any firearms"
which will then break the bank again.
OTOH, no such thing as ammo storage limits, approved firearms roster etc. pp.

Great rifle. I love the dark stocks on the Russian SKS's.

And though I can't pull up the pics in a search right now, there have been photos I've seen of Russians street fighting in Berlin with a very "SKS looking" short rifle.

If you ever come upon those pics again, please post them up. I'd be interested in seeing them.

Back
Top Bottom