LTC Application - Letter to Police HELP

Hi,

I am applying/filling out the paperwork for my Class A LTC and in my town you are required to submit a letter stating your justification and a good reason to fear injury to his/her person, or for other proper purpose.

Background Information: I am in my mid-twenties male with no criminal history and have lived in my town my whole life and actively volunteer. I live in a town that is RED on the map hence the reason to write a letter and don't need the LTC for work reasons but for personal protection. I also completed the firearms safety course

I am not great with writing letters so I was wondering if somebody could give me some examples of letters other individuals wrote. I am NOT going to use the letter but use it as a reference

Any help would be great and you could also PM me with any information.

Thanks

I typed out all the answers for my questions on the application. I appeared as a criminal defendent (nothing special, trust me) so I had to dole out the story in a letter. Include your references in your letter. On the application write (see attached).

For reasons of issuance, reference the forum sticky. Something along the lines of: "I formally request a License to Carry Firearms, Class A, for (all lawful purposes / target / target and hunting / hunting, etc.), pursuant to Chapter 140, Section 131 of the Massachusetts General Laws, to provide a means for (self-protection / amateur sportsmen competitions / hunting, etc.) ...

There is a Sticky in the MA Gun Laws forum with a ton of info on applying for a LTC. You should find some good info there.

Good luck.

Hi,

I am applying/filling out the paperwork for my Class A LTC and in my town you are required to submit a letter stating your justification and a good reason to fear injury to his/her person, or for other proper purpose.

Background Information: I am in my mid-twenties male with no criminal history and have lived in my town my whole life and actively volunteer. I live in a town that is RED on the map hence the reason to write a letter and don't need the LTC for work reasons but for personal protection. I also completed the firearms safety course

I am not great with writing letters so I was wondering if somebody could give me some examples of letters other individuals wrote. I am NOT going to use the letter but use it as a reference

Any help would be great and you could also PM me with any information.

Thanks

Do a search for threads started under my username. There are good examples in there.

Thanks.

I did search before I posted but just saw some guidelines but no actual letters. I just want to make sure I am using the correct wording etc. b/c I don't want to be denied.

I am not good at writing letters which is why I turn here for help.

Time to get realistic. If you live in a red town, you're not going to out maneuver the chief with a compelling letter, and will get an unrestricted permit only if you have an "edge" in terms of social position; occupation; personal contacts or specific need that is something other than an eloquent presentation of a reason that could apply to anyone.

Legal counsel in filing an application can go so far - any of the big three on this list can help you avoid "screwing it up", and if you have the slightest doubt that you are doing things properly, the cost of an office visit and paperwork assistance is a wise investment. Just be realistic - as talented as these attorneys are, they aren't going to be able to pen magic words that will cause the Brookline (for example) chief to say "Gee, this person states his general fear of crime so clearly that I guess I will single him/her out for the rare restrictions:none permit I usually reserve for retired police."

Or, to put it another way - look at it from the perspective of a chief who wants to issue unrestricted on a very sparing basis and ask yourself "what makes this applicant different from all the others coming in hear wanting the same thing"? If you're case is not different and compelling in a red town, all you;re doing is giving the licensing officer a chuckle.

While you're seeing the lawyer about your app ask "have you ever dealt with this town before?", and "what successes have you had getting a restrictions:none permit approved for persons with qualifications and reasons similar to my own?"

Last edited:
Which town is it? Do not forget that if you do a "search" through the search function on the forum, your town will always show up as red. There are not many true red towns on the list, so be sure (if you have not already) to go to that link from a click on the forum, without searching for the town name.

When I first did it with a search I saw Carver as red. Then it was green after viewing the thread raw from that part of the forum.

Which town is it? Do not forget that if you do a "search" through the search function on the forum, your town will always show up as red. There are not many true red towns on the list, so be sure (if you have not already) to go to that link from a click on the forum, without searching for the town name.

When I first did it with a search I saw Carver as red. Then it was green after viewing the thread raw from that part of the forum.

For the most part, the red towns are on/within the 128 belt. There are of course a few cancerous exceptions in other parts of the state.

Back
Top Bottom