• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

460XVR

Just got back from the LGS over my lunch break and he had a Smith 460XVR for $900.00. Seemed like a good deal so I scooped it up. A buddy had one that I shot a few times and I liked it.

I like the idea of fast and light bullets, or going heavy. But my question for you XVR guys, the pistol came with two breaks. One is for lead and the other for jacketed loads. My understanding is that its more for cleaning as if you shoot lead throught the jacketed break, it can be a chore to remove the break. So, can I just leave the break on for lead loads? Is there any ill effect?

let me preface by saying i am a fan of 44mag. shoot a lot of it. one of my favorite cartridges.

i had one experience shooting 460. indoor range. i had good hearing protection. fired one round from an full size 460VXR (dunno barrel length) and that thing was straight up unpleasant. blast was intense. personally if i shot that round again in the future i would only do it outside.

props for getting into such a chambering. let us know how you enjoy it.

Can't speak for 460 but the EWK Arms muzzle brake on my DW 44 revolver can't be a b**** to take off if I don't remove and clean it fairly often.

I owned a .460 xvr. I think the multiple brakes is a dumb gimick.

Put the bigger one on it and leave it. More brake is always good. Especially with that gun. I ended up selling it because I never shot it.

One other thing. If yours is used, check the timing. Its not uncommon for these guns to go out of time if they are actually shot much. The hammer on mine would drop before the cylinder was locked if I fired double action slowly.

It was no big deal with S&W's lifetime service policy. I called them, they emailed me a shipping label. I sent it off on their dime and 10 days later I had it back. They replaced the hand and the entire cylinder.

Don

Nice score. I think my wife and maybe one other lady were the only Women On Target participants to shoot the .460. She loved it, so there's a good chance 'we' can get one in the future. $900 would be a no-brainer.

Per DCMDon, for myself I'd use the bigger brake and then leave it alone.

Thanks for the info. I'm big into handgun hunting. I hunt with a handgun any chance I get vs a rifle. I have to pass up on a lot of shots that would normally be a no brainier if I had a rifle but for me it's about having fun, not like my family is gonna starve if I don't bring home game

Currently most of my boomers are various TC Contender and Encore offerings. I just like the idea of a massive revolver, and it's quite versatile with 45 Colt, 454 Casull and of course 460. There's even the option of having the cylinder recessed for moon clips and 45ACP!

Nice score. I think my wife and maybe one other lady were the only Women On Target participants to shoot the .460. She loved it, so there's a good chance 'we' can get one in the future. $900 would be a no-brainer.

Wow, at our club's last "Women On Target", I think it was .22 only, except for one .38 they could take a try after everybody else was done.

Back
Top Bottom