• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45Auto Powder

I have used 231, Bullseye, Tightgroup, and now American Select. (4.8gr) I find it the cleanest and the softest shooting of those I have tried.

I would like to try N350 though.

Regards,

Thanks to all who replied. Are there brick & mortar places that carry this stuff
in the PRM. FS is a loss for reloading supplies (very limited selections). Some
recommendations for B&M local stores (Eastern Mass from RI to NH inside 495)
would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

TBP

TBP,

If you know what you want, have you tried asking Carl to order it for you with his next shipment?

They don't need to put it on their shelf for you to get it, just ask. Most of their distributors sell the stuff and adding it to an existing order is not usually a hassle for a good customer.

Round Gun Shooter said:
I have used 231, Bullseye, Tightgroup, and now American Select. (4.8gr) I find it the cleanest and the softest shooting of those I have tried.

I would like to try N350 though.

I was NOT happy w/N350 as a .45 ACP propellant (using 200 grain bullets). I bought it for the race gun, in which it works quite well; I am also loading 180 grain .40 with it.

For .45, I've gone from Red Dot to WST. I get it at Northeast Trading, which also carries 231, Clays, etc.

Scrivener said:
I was NOT happy w/N350 as a .45 ACP propellant (using 200 grain bullets). I bought it for the race gun, in which it works quite well; I am also loading 180 grain .40 with it.

For .45, I've gone from Red Dot to WST. I get it at Northeast Trading, which also carries 231, Clays, etc.

Thanks for the info on the n350. If I buy any I will only try a 1#. For now I have 8# of American Select to burn so between that and the Tightgroup, I am set for this year [grin]

LenS said:
TBP,

If you know what you want, have you tried asking Carl to order it for you with his next shipment?

They don't need to put it on their shelf for you to get it, just ask. Most of their distributors sell the stuff and adding it to an existing order is not usually a hassle for a good customer.

Also.... Not sure if you know or not, but Carl has quite a selection of powder in stock. He does not merchandise his shelves with it, but rather keeps it in the back (probably a space issue). Just ask for what you are looking for... Each time I have wanted to try a new powder, I just asked, and the person helping me went into the back, and came out with it in their hand...

Adam,

I recall Carl telling me that the town was giving him a hard time about displaying powder in the shop (this was a few years ago). Your reply triggered that old memory. Perhaps it's not visible because of this "problem" and it really is there in the back room or his off-site warehouse.

Adam_MA said:
Also.... Not sure if you know or not, but Carl has quite a selection of powder in stock. He does not merchandise his shelves with it, but rather keeps it in the back (probably a space issue). Just ask for what you are looking for... Each time I have wanted to try a new powder, I just asked, and the person helping me went into the back, and came out with it in their hand...

Didn't know that. I guess I surmised that he didn't have much in the way of
reloading supplies as the last two times I was in there looking for stuff he didn't
have either item which was non-jeweler's rouge media and 230gn FMJ bullets.
It would be nice to know what kind of a selection he has so that I can 'shop'
around.

So you know, it's not like I am down on him. I figured that he just wasn't into
the reloading stuff.

TBP

I used the Unique for a while. I found it much dirtier than most other powders I have tried, and when I was done shooting, I would find flakes of unburnt powder stuck to my head.

I currently use IMR 700X. It's a great powder, fairly clean. I am going to be changing powders again though. I was recommended Ramshot Zip by Jim Conway. I have shot his reloads, and have seen how clean his gun is after shooting, and I gotta tell you, this stuff is CLEAN!

Adam

45 powder

I've used Unique for a while. Not the cleanest burning but not as bad as some have stated. Lead cast does get the firearm dirtier but that's due to the lube. FMJ's burn clean enough for my use. I like to keep my powder supply to only a few types so Unigue is used in all my pistol loads.

I get it at Riley's in Hookset or at local gun shows. There is a guy in Reading,MA that comes to the shows that has very good prices on reloading items.[grin]

rscalzo said:
There is a guy in Reading,MA that comes to the shows that has very good prices on reloading items.[grin]

Would you happen to have any contact info for him?
Be nice to have another source.

Thanks
Adam

If I had to use ONE powder for all my pistol loads, it would be Red Dot. FAR cleaner than Unique, it is cheap, versatile and readily available. I've loaded .25, .380 and .45 ACP with it, as well as .38 Spec., .357 Mag and .40.

hi all
i have used 231 for reloading 45 acp for about 20 years or
so and my father has used 231 forever
my 2 cents
howie

Last edited:
Scrivener said:
If I had to use ONE powder for all my pistol loads, it would be Red Dot. FAR cleaner than Unique, it is cheap, versatile and readily available. I've loaded .25, .380 and .45 ACP with it, as well as .38 Spec., .357 Mag and .40.

Hi Scrivner,

Any drawbacks on Red Dot that you are aware of, especially with different
calibers?

Thanks,

TBP

Back
Top Bottom