• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45acp with rifle primers?

Three reasons why this is not a good idea:

1. Rifle primers have more brisance than pistol primers (they're "hotter" in other words). They can increase pressure with possible catastrophic results.
  2. Rifle primers are harder than pistol primers, possibly resulting in failure-to-fires caused by light strikes.
  3. They're taller than pistol primers. They're likely to stick out beyond the base of the case. This can result in automatics slam-firing, and revolvers binding up.

How many do you have, what brand are they, and where are you at? I use the large rifle primers for S&W 500. I could trade you for some small or large pistol primers - as long as they're not Federals.

I don't know anything about the large rifle-large pistol primer relationship... but I do load my 9mm major ammo with small rifle primers, along with most IPSC shooters loading .38 Super major. They seat for me just as deep as the small pistol.

Maybe there is a difference with large rifle primers

I don't know anything about the large rifle-large pistol primer relationship... but I do load my 9mm major ammo with small rifle primers, along with most IPSC shooters loading .38 Super major. They seat for me just as deep as the small pistol.

That were I got the idea from, although Bedell did recommend pistol for my open. I have to ask him what his thoughts on rifle primers is

Rifle primers are taller than pistol primers. They will be above the case head.

Large rifle primers are, indeed, taller than large pistol primers; however, SMALL primers are the same size, whether rifle or pistol.

Rifle primers are stronger than pistol primers. SR primers are used in certain pistol application for just this reason. I use SR primers exclusively in my .38 Super loads.

As .40 S&W loads can reach some interesting pressures, especially with heavier bullets (180+ gr), I now use SR in them as well. Because my pistol loads are almost exclusively those two calibers, I am using up my remaining SP primers on the odd batch of .38 Special and milder .40 loads and will use SR primers exclusively once the SPs are gone. Less money tied up in unproductive inventory and less chance of grabbing the wrong primers when loading .38 Super or .223. [wink]

Last edited:

Steve,
I used to use small rifle primers in my 38 Super and 9x21. Dimensionally they are the same. Just a little bit thicker, so the primer didn't flatten so bad. Kind of gave us a false sense of security. But, that was with the old power factor, not the present one. Large rifle primers are dimensionally different, in height, not diameter. Eddie's .500 S&W brass is probably made for rifle primers. Therefore they won't stick up above the case head.

Anyone ever try .45acp with rifle primers? I have a bunch of large rifle primers that are just sitting.

To answer your question, yeah, I did.
I won't again.
Like has been said, they stick out over the end of the case.
And you know something isn't right because it seems you're trying to push them in harder because they've gone all the way into the pocket that they can.
Didn't have any slam fires. If I did, I'd probably load a bunch more.

If the slam fires occurred with the barrel unlocked, you could load more for your new gun as soon as you got out of the hospital.

Nah, when a gun decides to blow up the gases take the path of least resistance.
Which is, out the barrel, or down the grip, out the mag, usually cracking the grip and blowing the mag, the mag release, and the mags contents to the ground.

Been there, done that, with factory ammo in a polymer framed gun which shall remain nameless.
I've found your hat and glasses do get covered in all sorts of gray dust though
The same may not happen with a double charged load, but a gun that fires out of battery or experiences a case failure, not the damage some might expect.
And i've seen a bunch of Glock's blow up. None which hurt the shooter anywhere but in the wallet.

Back
Top Bottom