• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45ACP Reloads

Patriot

NES Member
I'm looking for what people use for reloads and what the advantages
and disadvantages of that particular load is. I haven't loaded this
round before and thought I would inquire. I want to use jacketed
bullets and a clean powder. I have Winchester primers already and
will use them up but I am interested in what people are using for
primers also. I will be using these reloads for range shooting as
I use standard factory loads for CCW purposes. I am using a Dillon
550B press.

Thanks,

TBP

I was using Red Dot and am now using WST under 200grain LRN; now the poly-coated LRN. Red Dot is versatile, available and inexpensive; WST is just a tad cleaner.

230 gr Speer RN FMJ and 230gr RN plated Berrys. I'm starting to use Berrys more since it's completely covered (less lead concern) and shoot alot indoors.

I've used Bullseye, Power Pistol and W231. I like 231 the best so far. I clean my guns after every session and I honestly don't notice the dirtieness factor like other have.

I use 5.2gr of W231 behind FMJ and the Berrys bullets. I also use Winchester large primers.

I seem to get great accuracy with 5.2gr with either bullets. It's a fairly light load.

BTW- most of my .45 ACP goes thru a S&W DK 1911 and a Sig P220ST.

I use Rainier Plated 230gr RN, Winchester WLP primers, and Remington +P nickle-plated brass.

I previously used Win 231. I'll have to check my loading data at home, as I don't remember my powder charge off the top of my head.

I've since changed to Win WST powder. Again, I'll have to check my load tonight.

I've been using WST for about 4 or 5 years...people used to look at me like I had three heads... I finally got Ted stocking it so I don't have to order it...but I guess that it's because more people are now using it..

I've always found that it was cleaner...and it only take about 4 or so grains for a 230 gr Lead RN head.

I've been using CCI primers and haven't had a problem.

I don't shoot jacketed because you can have 1000 lead rounds delivered for not much more than 500 in the shops... And I'm only shooting at the range, and it's outdoors, so I don't see the reason for the extra cost of the jacketed heads.

I may get looks from die hard reloaders... But I just buy boxes of .45s or order brass off eBay and just use whatever I get. Dick's even sells reloads, 250 for about 36 bucks. So just sweep up that brass and use that... It's a hodgepodge as well.

so I don't see the reason for the extra cost of the jacketed heads.
I've got an elevated blood lead level. That's why I use plated bullets. Note that on FMJ bullets, the base of the lead core is exposed to combustion. Plated bullets fully enclose the lead core, reducing airborne lead.

I use 5.2g 231 under either berry 230g RN or Masterblasters 230 RN,

I mainly use the berry's for indoor practice, the MB outside

I have good luck with 231, meters better than clays for me.
Shoots nice and soft

Except for the 3 winter matches at AFS, I shoot outdoors. Lead does not concern me and the poly coated bullets remedy even that problem.

As noted, I can - and do - have 2,000 coated bullets/caliber shipped in at a time for FAR less than even plated ones, and in the weight and RNFP profile I like.

As the only bullets Ted stocks in bulk are the hard-cast bullets with the crayola lube that flakes, mail order is the only way to get the bullets I want. I order accordingly.

Last edited:
4.3-4.7 grains of TiteGroup,WLP under 230gr Zero JHP's. Hope to have my 650 set-up within the next few weeks so I can leave my 550 set-up for .40.

I use 4.8 gr for my revolver to make major PF. I have had a lot of good luck with this Tite Group load.

Only problem is TiteGroup seems to be a hot powder. After speaking to Mr Miculek last year, I switched to American Select. It seems to be even cleaner.

All I shoot is Jacketed bullets due to elevated lead levels and the fact I rarely clean my revolvers [wink]

Regards,

4.3-4.7 grains of TiteGroup,WLP under 230gr Zero JHP's. Hope to have my 650 set-up within the next few weeks so I can leave my 550 set-up for .40.

I'm glad BP asked this question as I'm about to start reloading 45s as well. I picked up some Zero 230gr FMJs. Would the 4.3-4.7 of TiteGroup work with the FMJs as well as the JHPs? Not sure how much the HP changes what would be needed.

Also, what would be a good load to make sure I make Major in USPSA using these bullets?

I'm glad BP asked this question as I'm about to start reloading 45s as well. I picked up some Zero 230gr FMJs. Would the 4.3-4.7 of TiteGroup work with the FMJs as well as the JHPs? Not sure how much the HP changes what would be needed.

Also, what would be a good load to make sure I make Major in USPSA using these bullets?

I use the same load for 230JHP and 230GR FMJ from Zero. 4.8 makes 170PF

+1

With my new S&W 1911 here, I'm also tooling up, so this is a very timely thread.

My question concerns powders. Has anyone had any experience with Bullseye in .45? I've come to use it in both .40 S&W and 38 Special with good results. The Lyman manual shows several "Most Accurate" loadings at several bullet weights using Bullseye. To simplify the logistics of powder buying and management, a single powder for all three would be great.

I've got an elevated blood lead level. That's why I use plated bullets. Note that on FMJ bullets, the base of the lead core is exposed to combustion. Plated bullets fully enclose the lead core, reducing airborne lead.

No, I understand...I'm pretty much talking for me. I understand that other people have other reasons.

And I'm with Keith, I get poly coated as it's not an extra cost, and does fine enough for what I'm doing.

And for all the shooting I've done since my grandfather gave me a .22 to shoot, I think that I can count on both hands how many times I've shot indoors.

+1

To simplify the logistics of powder buying and management, a single powder for all three would be great.
Don't know much about Bullseye but this is why I'm using TiteGroup. .40,.45,and .357 all from the same powder. With light loads and heavier bullets its clean and the felt recoil is lower. Because it doesn't take up alot of room in the case you have to be careful not to double charge.

I just switched from Titegroup to Clays. Not Universal Clays, just straight Clays.
I find it cleaner and softer shooting than TG and does not heat up the gun as much.

Currently running 3.9 grains under a 230gr Rainier. Shoots nice!

Titegroup with 4.9-5 grains. 230 grain LRN or 230 grain plated RN berries. The lead shoots clean enough for my purposes and should be aroudn 800 FPS. No chrono here.

+1

With my new S&W 1911 here, I'm also tooling up, so this is a very timely thread.

My question concerns powders. Has anyone had any experience with Bullseye in .45? I've come to use it in both .40 S&W and 38 Special with good results. The Lyman manual shows several "Most Accurate" loadings at several bullet weights using Bullseye. To simplify the logistics of powder buying and management, a single powder for all three would be great.

I tried a Bulls eye load and it worked fine. I used the on line tables and worked it up to get my major PF load. Only reason I don't use it is I try to use one powder or two at the most. I currently have 8# of Tite Group and 8# of American Select. I don't need any more powder right now.

5 gr 231 with either a 200gr swc or 230gr rn that I cast myself works well in my 2 1911 and S&W 625. Both bullets are cast from 50/50 ww-Linotype using Redding mold blocks and Rooster Red lube

Does someone have a link to these poly coated bullets? I've never heard of them before. Do they cut down on leading in the bore like jacketed bullets do?

I've used them my P99 .40, and I didn't notice any leading at all. They behind a residue that cleans out easily. The only thing I didn't like about PB is he insists on requiring a signature for delivery, so if you're not around, you have to make a trip to the PO to get the package.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom