• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

458 SOCOM

MachineHead

NES Member
I saw this and was blown away by the sheer power of this caliber.

http://youtu.be/cheDdArbo_A

I've got a lower receiver that needs an upper and I'm wondering if anyone here has tried or owns a 458 SOCOM rifle. If so, what are the pros/cons? Is it as badass as it seems?

I put one together with a Radical Firearms upper and a self assembled lower from a NES group buy. Watch for sales from Radical- sometimes it will price out cheaper than you can build and the components are nice quality. It's a ton of fun- almost literally as it generates nearly 2,200 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. Other than some FTE's when trying to use a brass catcher (I'll explain why later), this upper has been flawless. The comp looks a little funny but works extremely well. A nice feature of the Radical upper is that the ejection port has been given extra clearance for this round. It's not mandatory but a good idea.

FPS Russia states different mags necessary but that's wrong- if you live in Mass you can use your preban 30 rnd mags to hold 10 rounds of .458 socom, single stacked. They make centered single stack followers but I just use my standard AR mags.

This round is FUN to shoot! Last range trip I brought a buddy who's full time guard and gets to shoot 5.56 all the time courtesy of Uncle Sam. We had a great time busting up range allowed stuff and punching holes in paper at 50 yards. We were a little surprised to see that after multiple rounds at the same bullseye, we had blown through nearly 3 feet of berm sand and almost blew through the rear support timbers.

The bad news is yes, expensive to shoot! Probably ~$2 per round for ammo depending on what you can find. Pretty easy to reload, however. Starline brass will set you back ~$.76 per. Not sure how many reloads i'll get but seems like my loads are not working the brass too hard and I hope to get ~5X. Projectiles are not cheap either- 300 gr HP's feed great in mine, about $.23 to $.28 per round depending on source. Add primers and powder, your probably looking at $.65 each at best assuming very good life from the brass. I had 4198 which is a good one for this cal, so I have stuck with it. Maybe with some work could do better on the cost. That's why I tried the brass catcher, and at a given NES shoot you will see me crawling around looking for that last piece of brass, LOL.

I am traveling overseas this week, so when I can get around to it I'll post pics if I have access to any. IMO, it is a pretty badass round and is virtually identical in energy to typical .45-70 loads, at least in the 'lighter' projectile weights, like 300 gr and 325 gr.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mountain. Thanks, guys. I just checked and it's definitely expensive, but aside from all the pyrotechnics in this video, it really did a number on the paint cans and toilets.

Radicalfirearms.com has very reasonable prices but I should probably wait for a group buy to get a better deal.

A friend of mine is experimenting with it. He's got it running in an AR and a Thomson Center Encore. 500 gr bullets are scary quiet in the TC with a can.

He is also reloading it. If you actually want to shoot the 458, you need to reload, unless you like spending a couple of bucks a round.

One other thing. Someone needs to come out with a 30 round p-mag marked up as a 10 round .458 socom.

Definitely need to reload this caliber. Teppo Jutsu has some reload data from the guy who came up with the round. Radical firearms uppers (I have) are reverse engineered chamber reamed. I've read they are finicky with factory ammo but reloads are fine. The reason they are cheaper is the reverse engineering. No licensing fees paid to Marty. Shoots fine tho. My favorite load is Barnes 300gr TTSX 32.0gr IMR 4198 WLP primer. 2.250"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own one of the original uppers made by Teppo Jutsu. Never had any issues using a variety of ammo. I honestly hardly ever shoot it because of the price and availability of ammo - particularly if you are in Mass. since hardly anyone is willing to ship.

Rifle definitely has some kick to it and the round is really designed for 0-150 yards (after that the round starts dropping like a stone). However, it is a fun round to shoot - especially if you can get someone else to supply the ammo.:) I think if you reload you can save a bunch of money.

A friend of mine is experimenting with it. He's got it running in an AR and a Thomson Center Encore. 500 gr bullets are scary quiet in the TC with a can.

He is also reloading it. If you actually want to shoot the 458, you need to reload, unless you like spending a couple of bucks a round.

One other thing. Someone needs to come out with a 30 round p-mag marked up as a 10 round .458 socom.

Why not just make a floorplate?

They do:
2044467_01__458_socom_floorplate_10_round_640.jpg

Caved in and picked one up. Waiting for it to ship.

https://www.radicalfirearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RFUPPER16-458SOC-12FHR&CartID=

Before I get sidetracked; what do you guys think of 300 AAC with a regular 16" barrel? Is it worthwhile or should I stick with a 5.56 NATO?
The 300 blackout burns all its powder in the first 9" of the barrel. 16" will actually slow your bullet down. It is designed to be more powerfull at shorter distances than the 5.56. It really only makes sense as a suppressed SBR, but as such (and using sub sonic ammo) it is awesome. When the round first came out, I was expecting the SBR AR platform in .300 blackout to give the H&K MP5 SD a run for the money in the special forces community. Just as quiet, just as small, more power. Well, that didn't happen, obviously.

The 300 blackout burns all its powder in the first 9" of the barrel. 16" will actually slow your bullet down. It is designed to be more powerfull at shorter distances than the 5.56. It really only makes sense as a suppressed SBR, but as such (and using sub sonic ammo) it is awesome. When the round first came out, I was expecting the SBR AR platform in .300 blackout to give the H&K MP5 SD a run for the money in the special forces community. Just as quiet, just as small, more power. Well, that didn't happen, obviously.

Good to know. I have to do more research on SBRs and what makes them so cool. I only know they require a tax stamp and xyz to get it done legally. I know the military and cops have them but I'm not too knowledgeable on the matter.

I believe the "burns all its powder in the first 9" of the barrel" is only in reference to subsonic rounds (above about 160 grain projectiles). Go supersonic and you're fine with a 16" barrel. Of course, you'll have a nice flame if you shoot the ~147 grain projectiles out of a 10" (or less) barrel)... Even more so from an 8.1" barrel... I've seen it first hand and it was sofa king cool watching.

I'm using a standard rifle buffer and spring. Easy peasy.

You'll have fun with this round. The 300 gr HP's absolutely demolished pumpkins at the NES shoot. Medium to small size pumpkins were shredded in one shot, and big ones had huge gaping holes. (Yes Beavis, I said gaping holes...)

Nice! I'm just waiting for it to get here before these pumpkins get too rotten. Radical Firearms is quoting 6-8 weeks on the part, so I'm getting everything ready.

I shoot my Beowulf off of any lower I have, no issues. Some of the beowulf rounds do prefer the specific Alexander Arms 10 round(ahem) mags to function properly. The feed lips need to be a bit wider to get the sausages into the chamber.

I shoot my Beowulf off of any lower I have, no issues. Some of the beowulf rounds do prefer the specific Alexander Arms 10 round(ahem) mags to function properly. The feed lips need to be a bit wider to get the sausages into the chamber.

I have the same thing going on with Stoner AR mags. It's jam city with 5.56 rounds however with the beowulf rounds they run smooth as butter.

Just found the .458 bullet I was given at SHOT. I pulled the bullet out of a .22 lr to show the relationship. I'm guessing if I was to put a .22 blank in it, I'd be breaking the law since I'm guessing that exploding bullets are illegal in MA.

It weighs 245 gr empty. Notice the sprue off the back. It is turned out of a piece of copper rod.

Any legal eagles please feel free to comment.

Don

20151204_142806818_iOS.jpg
20151204_142836490_iOS.jpg
20151204_142856839_iOS.jpg
20151204_142907111_iOS.jpg

Just found the .458 bullet I was given at SHOT. I pulled the bullet out of a .22 lr to show the relationship. I'm guessing if I was to put a .22 blank in it, I'd be breaking the law since I'm guessing that exploding bullets are illegal in MA.

It weighs 245 gr empty. Notice the sprue off the back. It is turned out of a piece of copper rod.

Any legal eagles please feel free to comment.

Don

View attachment 152534
View attachment 152535
View attachment 152536
View attachment 152537

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/14212-Incendiary-ammunition

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom