• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

458 SOCOM Bolt Action Build

amm5061

NES Member
I had a couple requests for a build thread on this monster, so you guys get to experience my joys and sorrows, my highs and lows, my manic episodes and crippling depression that was this build in delayed form. Blame the guy who asked. I was gonna suffer in silence.

Before anyone asks, this cost me way too much, and I’m too scared to total it all up. My GF would literally murder me if she knew what I spent on this.

So because I was bored, and I’ve had a rather strange fascination with .458 SOCOM for the past couple years ever since I read an interesting article about development of the caliber in Guns & Ammo, I decided to finally pull the trigger on a .458 SOCOM platform. Being Massatwoshits, obviously having something so evil as a black rifle is a no no, so goddammit I had to figure out how to make my dream a reality.

I had two options for this: spend a metric shitton of money on a pre-Healey lower, or go buy an 80% and manufacture a rifle that’s not subject to her bullshit edict or really the AWB in general.

Enter my enabler: LANTAC’s straight pull enhanced BCG.
file.jpg

lantac-enhanced-bcg-223-556-straight-pull-01-up-sp-nit-ebcg-by-lantac-bd7.jpg

This pretty piece of overpriced stainless steel started the wheels turning—I could build a bolt action! This BCG features a side charging handle that can either be attached directly to the BCG, or using an extension you can bring the handle back further to a more comfortable position near your hand. It also features a piston-style guide integrated into the BCG instead of a gas key, so even if you put in a gas system it’s still a manual action. There’s no reciprocating action, so you have to pull the charging handle to eject the fired round and insert a fresh round from the magazine. Supposedly the bolt is designed that the piston-style guide is set too far back for a piston to engage it, but I can't confirm that from any of Lantac's liturature.

So I picked up an AR-Stoner 80% lower from Midway USA. Seeing as I’ve never done an 80% before and I was sure I would f*** it up, I bought two. (Spoiler alert: I didn’t f*** it up, and now I need to figure out what meets the criteria for making a fixed magazine rifle.)

121941.jpg

The lower is a forged milspec 80%, so it’s not one of those good looking billets everyone raves about, but being a big bore caliber, maybe the tiny extra bit of strength a forged lower brings to the table may matter? Can you see me trying to compensate for the aesthetics of my lower? I have lower envy, I can’t help it. Obviously appearance matters.

As for the upper, obviously I needed to find something special, since this is a side charger. Thinking about it some, and doing some looking, I decided to mate the BCG with the upper it was designed to work with. Yup, another wallet raping from Lantac.

4ebbdb_3819e200d765403584246450d7766ec3~mv2_d_3000_3000_s_4_2.jpg

So now I had my upper, my lower, and my bolt carrier group picked out, what about the rest? Need a barrel, right? This one had me a little stumped. Where do you get a .458 SOCOM barrel? I started looking around. Hardened Arms, Radical Firearms, KAK, Wilson Combat, so many choices. In the end, I went with a Tromix light weight barrel with matching bolt and compensator, because might as well put a little quality into this frankengun.

RTczRDBFODIwRjhFM0Y5ODQ2NUM6NTAxNDQ0NjRmNzIwZGJiMDhlMTFjMTM0YTU3NmU1ZTk6Ojo6OjA=

RTczRDBFODIwRjhFM0Y5ODQ2NUM6MjZlY2I0ZmU5MTMyNWFiNzcwYmU5OWJmYWMxZTM2Y2U6Ojo6OjA=

The barrel is their 16.25” light weight barrel with a 1:14 twist and carbine length gas system (not that that mattered to me). The bolt is mated to the barrel and properly head spaced before Tromix ships it out. The muzzle brake is…. Well…. Black and a muzzle brake. We’ll see how well it works when I finally get this beast to the range. I’ll let you all know.

Now the handguard. This was pretty easy, since I had a firm idea of what I wanted. Free float, M-Lok, something around 12”, and not retarded looking. Settled on the Midwest Industries 3GM gen 3 in 12.625”. I’m actually very impressed by how light the thing is.

326606.jpg

That was most of the important stuff. Picked up the lowest model Geissele 2-stage trigger to drop into the lower, along with the cheap AR-Stoner branded customizable LPK from Midway USA. This turned out to be pointless, as I would later replace a most of those parts with better looking stuff that cost more individually than the parts kit did.

Grip is a BCM Gunfighter Mod 3, because it fits my hand and I like it. Buffer tube, spring, and buffer are also the BCM standard carbine buffer/tube/spring kit with a BCM castle nut and QD end plate. Honestly, this stuff matters not for a manual action, but meh.

The stock is the Magpul fixed carbine stock. I may replace this later on when I start shooting the thing depending on what the recoil is like.

I did have a little trouble deciding how to block off the gas port in the barrel. I settled on using a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and turning it all the way closed. If this turns out to be a stupid idea, I can take it off and replace it with a cheap Yankee Hill low profile block turned backwards. We’ll see what happens.

Currently I have a BCM gunfighter ambi charging handle for it, but that might later be replaced with a cheap standard one since the idea is to use the side charging handle. Might as well use the good one someplace else.

So that’s it for the parts, build details with pictures coming next!

Last edited:
I apologize for some of the images. For some reason the forum is turning them into landscapes instead of portrait format.

So, we covered the parts, how about the build, you ask? Well, it went much easier than I thought. First, I pulled all the shit I had been collecting out of the container I’d been keeping it in. This caused much confusion. Where the hell did my damn hex key go to? Yes, I lost it like 500 times during this process. I’m an obvious mess.

20180428_090539.jpg

So, after strewing my shit all over the garage floor, I proceeded to actually start doing stuff. First on the list: put the upper together.

Barrel fit into the upper was nice and snug, but a couple light taps with the rubber mallet seated the barrel, and the barrel nut that came with the handguard snugged it down into place nicely. It ain’t coming back out without serious force, that’s for sure.

20180428_092044.jpg

Seasoned the threads by torquing to 40lbs, letting off, torquing to 50lbs, letting off, and then finally finishing it off at 60lbs. There was an argument with my observer at this point. He seemed to think it wasn’t necessary to season the threads, but it’s my gun goddammit so I’m doing it.

Next on the barrel went a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block turned all the way down to block off the gas port in the barrel (since no one would respond to my emails about getting a barrel that hadn’t been drilled). No gas tube to make sure it’s a manual action. Turn the reaction rod sideways and on go the compensator and hand guard. She was looking good.

20180428_094826.jpg

I picked up a scratch & dent (because I’m a cheap bastard sometimes) Leupold UltimateSlam muzzleloader scope and the Leupold Mark II IMS to put it in. On that went, along with a set of Magpul MBUIS sights I pulled off of my M&P 15-22 after I put the red dot on it, and the upper is complete!

20180428_101132.jpg

The silver scope was an accident, but it made me start thinking about accessorizing. More on that later.

Now the hard part! Time to mill out the lower.

To do this, I had at my disposal an 80% arms Gen II Easy Jig. Let me just say that I don’t have any other experience to compare this jig with, but it’s friggin solid! Heavy as shit, and nice thick side and top plates. The baseplate that attaches to the router is nice and thick, with a good collet to keep the end mill from contacting the sides of the jig. I expect it to last longer than the rifle.

20180428_091813.jpg

So, all set up, duct tape my vacuum hose to the thing, because I don’t have a small enough hose on the shop vac (yes, redneck engineering played a key role in this project), and it’s milling time! Balistol was used for cutting fluid. Worked pretty well.

20180428_121120.jpg

The milling went pretty well. I had some chatter caused by trying to hog out a little too much aluminum at one time, but IDGAF. I went slow, it worked, and it doesn’t look like a total shit drill job. I’m happy. Total elapsed time for milling and drilling was about 3 hours. Also, have spare drill bits handy for the trigger pin holes. I broke two on the same f***ing hole on the second lower I did. Don’t ask, it was a bad day. Home Depot sold a few spare bits that day.

20180428_121126.jpg

20180428_144749.jpg

So, remember that redneck engineering I mentioned? Now that I had the lower done, and to help hide the chatter on the sides, out came the grill paint. A couple quick sprays and an hour on the grill at around 300-350 degrees took care of that.

20180428_145126.jpg

At this point, I had to break for food, as I was now starving. (Mostly) final assembly coming up in Part III.

[popcorn]
I can’t imagine paying to feed that thing when you are done. Yikes!

Yup, at $2-$3 per round, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up reloading. Good thing it's a manual action instead of semi. That helps keep ammo expenditures under control.

I've got more of the assembly to post later when I get it written up. This has been a fun side project.

Where did I leave off? Where are my pants? What day is it? Screw it, let’s build a gun!

So, time to do a few details on this sucker and put it together finally! First up was a nice little detail. Red and white paint for the fire/safe markings, just for aesthetics purposes. Screw that for next time, what a pain in the ass! Got it done, but apparently whoever supplies Midway USA with these lowers can’t f***ing stamp these for shit. Whatever.

Everything goes into the lower, drop in the trigger, do some testing to make sure the safety works properly. You all know how this works. And here’s the finished product! Looks okay-ish. I’m happy enough with it.

20180430_161602.jpg

Now that I have a completed lower, time to introduce it to the upper and get it ready to make sweet, sweet freedom noises.

This is where the f***ery begins. I can only describe this as a production defect, because I can’t possibly fathom a reason why LANTAC would do this on purpose. On the underside of the upper, right behind the front pivot pin location, is a roughly 1mm high ridge where the front of the lower makes contact with the upper. Only right behind the part that sticks down, that’s it. A freaking c-hair too high and I can’t close the gun and insert the rear takedown pin. This literally took forever to figure out. f*** me. Now I have to figure out what to do. Put it in the Bridgeport and mill off part of the lower? Mill the upper? File the pin holes? What do you do here?

I fell back on my redneck engineering principles and filed the tab off of the upper by hand. Yes I f***ed it up. No I don’t care. Yes it goes together now without any problems. I hit it all with a black paint pen to hide my shame.

20180430_161551.jpg

And to make sure I screwed it up properly, I also did a little filing on the front of the lower, too. Honestly, no one’s gonna notice.

20180430_161554.jpg

The end result is, the rifle now fits together sans bolt carrier group! Hooray!

20180430_175534.jpg

So, now the real sad part of this tale. That BCG, that beautiful BCG that started this whole thing. That freaking $320 BCG. That thing. Backordered into oblivion. Oh well, I put my order in and it’ll come one day. Until then maybe I’ll drop the .458 bolt into a standard BCG and run it with the BCM ambi charging handle.

Amazingly, the whole thing came out to about 7.5 lbs unloaded and sans BCG. Wasn’t expecting it to be so light. I am slightly afraid for my shoulder.

vefiuf5.jpg

Remember how I said that silver scope started me thinking, and even earlier alluded to the fact that I basically threw out most of the LPK in favor of other shit? Yup, I blinged it out a bit. Full disclosure: I did get some ideas from one of the other build threads here.

I picked up a set of chrome Strike Industries takedown pins, and a silver magazine release and silver ambi safety selector from Seekins. Also threw a Magpul BAD lever on it, and have an extended buttpad on the way to provide a little extra cushion for the stock. Just enough “pop” to make her the pretty deer killin’, frankengun I’m gonna take out for deer season in PA this coming November!

20180510_125339.jpg

20180510_125407.jpg

I have a Brownells standard BCG on the way right now, so I’m hoping to get this monster out to the range sometime next week. It will do until they ship me the Lantac one. I’ll post a range report as soon as I get out there.

Need to see how that thing shoots!

Ask and you shall receive. The Brownells BCG finally came in on Monday, and I dropped in the the .458 bolt. I intended to sight it in on Tuesday, but the bad weather rolled in too fast and I wasn't able to get to the range before the storms showed up. I did finally get it out yesterday afternoon and I had a blast with it.

I boresighted it using a drop-in laser and the first three round grouping was low and left. After another three round grouping I had the scope pretty close to zeroed at 50 yards. I put two more 3-round groups into the head of the target. Keep in mind, I'm not the greatest shot and I definitely pulled a few.

20180517_163222w.jpg

After that, I was pretty satisfied with the gun at 50 yards. I moved over 100 yards and shot another 3 round group. Pulled one on that, too, otherwise it would've been a nice group.

20180517_165344w.jpg

Satisfied enough with how it was shooting at 100 yards, I fired off the last 4 rounds at the 100 yard gong. This was all shooting SBR 350 grain FMJ. The gong did some serious swinging when hit with this stuff. At this point I'd gone through $50 in ammo; time to call it quits. This stuff is insanely expensive.

Recoil wasn't so bad. I put the extended rubber PRS buttpad onto the Magpul fixed carbine stock and between that and the muzzle brake the recoil wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected. It felt about the same as shooting .30-06 out of a Garand. Actually a little less than the recoil on my .270 Winchester. If you have a sensitive shoulder you probably won't enjoy it much, but a better recoil absorbing stock like the FAB Defense GL-Shock might mitigate it a little more. I may consider putting one on this in the future, but I keep seeing mixed reviews. Anyone have any experience with it? I've also considered Magpul's PRS stock, but it's a little pricey and it's expensive enough just to feed this thing.

I did have some shoulder bruising when I got home, but I also shot three rounds of trap with my 20ga O/U after this with no discomfort. In fact, I'm not feeling any discomfort at all even with the bruising.

I had a couple issues with extracted rounds not being ejected, but this could be my manipulation of the charging handle. This may resolve itself when the Lantac BCG comes in, as it is more easily manipulated. I did notice that the more vigorously I manipulated the charging handle, the better the ejection worked. The ejection port may also need to be milled out a little more, but that's a very last resort. Standard ejection ports need to be milled down a little to work with this round, but this one is already more open for use with a reciprocating side charging handle.

Zero issues with feeding from the cheap MidwayUSA AR-Stoner brand 10 round steel magazines. The followers made it annoying to load, but when loading 3 rounds it wasn't so bad. I may pick up a couple more since they're so cheap and swap out the double stack followers for single stack followers.

The muzzle brake was fun. I did get a little bit of gas sent back at me, but not much. Anyone on either side of me would have been less than amused, though.

Finally got the Lantac BCG in. It looks fairly good, and the feel is quite natural for manipulating the bolt handle. I may change the stock at some point, change out the butler creek scope caps for the nice Leupold ones, and I have a WML on the way that will mount on that pic rail on the right side, but other than that she's finished!

20180728_103125.jpg 20180728_103134.jpg 20180728_103146.jpg 20180728_103212.jpg

Back
Top Bottom