.458 Quackenbush DOQ Air Rifle

It's been awhile since my interest in buying a new weapon was triggered. I'm not a collector although I have a collection but with a dozen handguns ranging from .22 to 9mm and .45's as well as a rifle or shotgun for pretty much anything that walks North America there just hasn't been anything that peaked my interest enough to purchase it.
Well a couple of days ago I shot AND put a deposit down on a .458 Quackenbush air rifle. This air rifle is easily capable of taking anything from yotes, deer and bear and has completely passed thru both bison and elk. A single charging of compressed air will give you a couple full power shots at better than 900 fps with a 300 grain pure lead round. It is louder than you might think but the sound doesn't carry like a traditional rifle but more like the gentle thump of a shotgun.
I'm going to have to read up on my gun laws because it's NOT a firearm so I think I can pretty much sit on my deck knocking over steel yote Silhouettes at 75 or 100 yards and NOT be breaking any rules.
Do any of you guys have a Quackenbush or other large caliber air guns and what do you think? Are they a pricey novelty or a hunting gun in sheep's clothing? I did see a video of another manufacturer whose airgun can shoot crossbow arrows accurately at 500 fps. This is one layaway but I hope to bring it home soon. I just hope i dont have the carry around a CF scuba tank on my back.. I'd love to hear some opinions on these firearm, oops I mean air guns. Safe shooting my friends.

great guns and only have touched the 308 version. the .458 has to be a air hog...figure 2-3 shots per fill ? A 80 cubic inch tank with a fill of 4500psi should get you some decent round counts... the 308 I shot had a 3200psi sweet spot and 3 quality shots then 2 shots that will be off a tad of POA. I think he gets about 40 shots from the 80cuin tank.
The secret is finding a place that will fill your tank to 4500psi
Fill calculator
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html

Depending on Federal, state, county, local law,by law or regs you need to be careful. Some towns don't allow even BB guns to be shot!

Last edited:
I have the .308. The ballistics are similar to a 9mm according to my chronograph. I wish I got the .458.
I've been watching his site, but missed the draw because my laptop wasn't updating the page so I didn't see it.

I don't have a tank I have a hand pump. It takes a lot of effort to pump it up to 4000 psi. I get 3 shots before the fps gets too low. It takes me 15 minutes to pump it back up because I need 3 breaks while doing it. I had a hard time finding the correct quick connect I finally found the right one at mcmaster carr.

I had mine at the club and some guys wanted to check it out. I shot it indoors with no hearing protection and that was a very bad mistake. I knew it was load, but indoors made my hearing go away for about 10 minutes.

They say the ballistics of the .458 is on par with a .45 ACP but will shoot a 300 grain bullet. I've been told I need to get a carbon fiber tank if I want it filled to the max pressure and they apparently make a tank the size of a two liter bottle. I've seen it hand pumped and it's a lot of work so I'm hoping to have a tank b4 I take delivery. I don't think you can get one from Quackenbush but you can get on the waitlist if you willing to be patient. Your right about the noise dhuze. It is loud and even produces a cloud of smoke which I'm assuming is just cold compressed air. I can buy bullets from Mr. Hollowpoint but 2im hoping to find a mold so i can cast my own. I going to have to do some more research.

Mine uses the same 110gr bullet as an M1 Carbine so it was easier to find a mold. I help coach our Jr rifle team and I take the lead when we clean out our target frames. A carbon fiber tank hold the most pressure. I don't know how many fills you would get from a small tank. Volume I believe would get you more fills. Some people will use a tank to get it close and use the hand pump to top it off when the tank starts getting low.

Dennis Quackenbush only opens his waiting list when he completes all his orders from the last one. It's not really a waiting list, It's more like a lottery.
When he opens the list He only accepts orders mailed in from a 3 day period. Any orders sent before or after get thrown away. If you send in more than one order he throws them away. After the 3 day mailing period he draws 50 envelopes and throws the rest away. Those 50 people then wait for him to complete the rifle they wanted and he sends out info and you pay him. Then he ships your rifle.

you'll need a small tank for hunting to take with you and a couple of large ones for plinking for a small tank go here http://www.airtanksforsale.com/ for the large tanks I go steel SCUBA only tanks that are rated for 4500psi for ease of refills and transport , keep in mind most home owners insurance will not cover any tanked gases over 80cf.

BTW forget the pony tank as they are only 3k psi

I think I did hit the lottery dhuze because the DOQ .458 I'm getting is new and unfired. I'm glad that it's the .458 and not .30 caliber. I have hundreds of pounds of range lead and I already cast .45 so I should be able to produce all the bullets I need. May need a mold other than my 240gr .45. I will definitely be getting a heavy steel scuba tank but I hope between a hand pump and a little pony tank I can be a little bit mobile. It never occurred to me that the tank was possibly an insurance issue but I'll look into that and the legality of shooting it in the back yard. Tell me -B- and dhuze... What kind of maintenance is involved. Are there a lot of gaskets and O rings involved and can you keep them up and running pretty easily? Oh yeah.. I know airgun and regular rifle scopes differ in the way they respond to recoil so is there a particular piece of glass I should be looking at to mount on the Quackenbush? Will I legally be able to shoot deer with it? I don't think I want to prove it can kill an elk or bison with it but I'd love to dump some yotes. I also understand that not only can it shoot arrows at 500 fps it can also be used as a shotgun. I can't wait to finish paying it off but a fishing trip to Alaska and a new boat pretty much left me with not a lot of toy money and like everything else there are always a lot of associated cost. IE the boat. Thanks for the info guys.

So far I have not done any type of maintenance. I have a Leupold scope on mine. Since it is air and not a spring you do not get the return shock that destroys scopes.

As far as shooting deer, I know RI specifically limits air rifles and I cannot shoot a deer with a .308. I'd be willing to bet Mass has a similar law.

jv7kooA.jpg

Re: hunting with air

This is a screen capture from a file provided to me by MA DFW, dated 8/16
fd97da23f8fde95fa3e2ecf9f9ef93c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Math IS hard dhuze but you must be pretty good at finding Waldo. I have a Mass bear tag but according to pupchow's chart .458 is to large of a caliber not that I see many bear.
That sure is a nice looking rifle dh and I understand they require very little maintenance except for a couple of O rings. I think I read somewhere that they shoot faster after shooting a few "pellets". I was just thinking it would be best to try and stock up on any proprietary parts. TY gentlemen.

So according to that chart, a large caliber is less than .30 Caliber. Math is hard.

Am I seeing something different?

I see "large caliber = >.30"

And I read it as "'large caliber' means anything equal to or greater than .30 cal."

Appears they didn't have the ability to type the "greater than or equal to" sign that is the greater than sign (>) with the single line (_) equal sign combined. I also have no way to type this on my iPhone...

And these Quackenbush's must be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom