45 slide damaged need ideas

This 45 slide is damaged underneath, can anyone DD1DED55-5DF7-4CB7-BC43-39575F53EA8D.png give me a suggestion on what might be causing it? Thanks.DD1DED55-5DF7-4CB7-BC43-39575F53EA8D.png

What make of gun? Is it a series 70 or 80? I think I see what your talking about. Can you circle it or draw an arrow.

Thanks for the help. The picture with the circle shows the area. This is an “Officer’s Model “ Colt.45. I inherited this when a buddy passed away about 18 months ago. His wife sent it my way, I hate to get things under those circumstances. Anyway, I have yet to use it. I was taking it apart to clean and check it. Good thing too. I will work on getting better pictures posted.

Would help showing a picture of the top of frame as well. Something should show signs of damage there as well

What make of gun? Is it a series 70 or 80? I think I see what your talking about. Can you circle it or draw an arrow.
Gotta be a Series 80 with that firing pin plunger...

My guess is the finger on the firing pin plunger lever broke off and got chewed up in the disconnector slot on the slide.

1609476918134.png

This guy makes assembly look easy...

And in reverse order, A Series 80 Disassembly vid.

Last edited:
Hammer hitting the slide disconnector recess? Would require a failed disconnector, the slide to be far out of battery...and a lot of dry firing.

That’s a head-scratcher. I can’t imagine the hammer would have enough inertia to do anywhere near that kind of damage if it were able to fall while the slide was out of battery.

ETA: Here you go...

Last edited:
Looks like the hammer is not fully coming back during the recoil cycle. The impact of the slide and hammer starts just in front of the firing pin plate. It might be too long a strut or spring bind in the main spring housing. It does look serious.

Back
Top Bottom