• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 Shield

Yes, I only do it for fun and to see if the gun can do it. So far they all can. If I ever had to shoot at someone 100 yards away in this state, I'd probably go to jail.

The fiber optic rod flew out of the front sight today and S&W wants me to send them the gun so they can be sure it gets fixed properly. They obviously did a shit job the first time and they're not getting a second chance. I'll get some fiber optic rod from Cabelas tomorrow and fix it myself.

~4 years ago i got an awesome deal on a 629 6 inch performance center. factory ported and so forth. gorgeous revolver. just couldn't say no. about 3 cylinders in the front sight was gone. found it on the ground. there was liquid adhesive in the dovetail and on the sight. the fit into the dovetail was so loose that S&W obviously just stuck it in there and glued it. a $1500 MSRP revolver and S&W just puts some glue on the front sight. i did not ship it back. did the soda can shim trick and it's stayed put for years of use. S&W does such great work but tends to lay turds on some of the simplest aspects of firearm construction. it's their M&P line metals that creep me out. i've seen too many barrels fail.

The fiber optic rod flew out of the front sight today and S&W wants me to send them the gun so they can be sure it gets fixed properly. They obviously did a shit job the first time and they're not getting a second chance. I'll get some fiber optic rod from Cabelas tomorrow and fix it myself.

thankfully FO popping out is such an easy fix. anyone at your range or area have some FO? most of us have a stash of it laying around.

You probably know this, but I will just offer my experience with fiber optic rods. The trick is to use heat to melt one or both ends of the rod so that it is absolutely firmly in place. The rods are bit fragile, but not as much as people think. If the rod has any movement in its mount, then it will vibrate on each shot, and break itself apart. If the rod is firmly in place, it will last for a long time. Usually a hot piece of metal, like a heated screwdriver is the best way to heat the rod and make the ends mushroom firmly into place.

At the end of the day,.. it's a $300 gun,.. I have one in 45 and it's reliable and dependable. I don't mind shooting it and it serves its purpose. If I was looking for a higher quality firearm I'd consider Wilson Combat or a Dan Wesson,.. Fiber problems are simple,.. your local gunsmith should have you taken care of in a few minutes. All I'm seeing here is S&W still willing to make it right for you.

Back
Top Bottom