.45 Shield

I've been debating on selling mine just to grab another one without the safety for the past week. Can't decide whether to take the plunge or not.
If it's your only carry. I'd buy the new one first and then dump the safety version

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will wait until the price comes down. I can't see how they can be that much more coin than the 9mm and 40sw ones.

Beacon trading has them for $394. Usually there is a small premium for 45 cal in most guns in 45

FS is selling 9 and 40's for 369 which has to be on the lower end. 25 bucks is pretty skinflinty on a newly introduced pistol.

I finally brought mine to Shirley this morning. I was shooting a scoped bolt action .223 rifle from the bench at 200 yards which was no challenge. Then I tried the Shield off hand. I put 5 rounds in a group of about 12" The group was low left so I'm guessing the other 3 rounds were off the paper to the left. I held about 6 feet high and was using +P Hornady 230 grain hollow points. This little gun shoots quite well. I'll have to do this again when it's not so cold. I guess I'm becoming a sissy in my old age

Apex finally introduced their trigger kit for the Shield 45. Can't wait to get it installed.

I had unrealistic expectations I guess. I was disappointed to hear that's it's still a trigger that needs an Apex fix. I'm assuming the whole m2.0 line is disappointing for someone who was hoping for a great trigger out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had unrealistic expectations I guess. I was disappointed to hear that's it's still a trigger that needs an Apex fix. I'm assuming the whole m2.0 line is disappointing for someone who was hoping for a great trigger out of the box.

Understandable. The pull is pretty damn good out of the box. Nothing like the previous models I've owned where no matter what you were jerking the trigger. I just can't stand the hook style trigger and prefer the flat face aluminum version.

Once I get it installed I'll post up in this thread.

Like dippy said, the trigger is a free state trigger, but even then, there's still some room for improvement for weight and smoothness.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I finally brought mine to Shirley this morning. I was shooting a scoped bolt action .223 rifle from the bench at 200 yards which was no challenge. Then I tried the Shield off hand. I put 5 rounds in a group of about 12" The group was low left so I'm guessing the other 3 rounds were off the paper to the left. I held about 6 feet high and was using +P Hornady 230 grain hollow points. This little gun shoots quite well. I'll have to do this again when it's not so cold. I guess I'm becoming a sissy in my old age

Good for you. I couldn't see the target at 200 yards.

Sounds promising. So $425-450 for the gun plus how much for the Apex action enhancement kit? I can't see spending the money on something to turn around and immediately spend over 100 on a trigger. I guess I'll just have to go fondle the one at my lgs before making any decisions lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds promising. So $425-450 for the gun plus how much for the Apex action enhancement kit? I can't see spending the money on something to turn around and immediately spend over 100 on a trigger. I guess I'll just have to go fondle the one at my lgs before making any decisions lol

for me the thought of having to change out most of the trigger mechanism on a carry gun is a dealbreaker. however i previously owned a shield 9 and found the stock trigger to be just fine. a few days ago I shot another dude's shield 45 and found the stock trigger fine. to me the potential long term reliability questions with an aftermarket trigger simply aren't worth it.

that being said I find the M&P internal design to be lacking in many respects so I simply avoid the entire line.

for me the thought of having to change out most of the trigger mechanism on a carry gun is a dealbreaker. however i previously owned a shield 9 and found the stock trigger to be just fine. a few days ago I shot another dude's shield 45 and found the stock trigger fine. to me the potential long term reliability questions with an aftermarket trigger simply aren't worth it.

that being said I find the M&P internal design to be lacking in many respects so I simply avoid the entire line.

I agree. Although they did make some improvements I simply can not justify the cost when the important parts have not met the bar that has been set and asked for for years. Make a gun look different all you want. Changing the grips doesn't make it a $500 gun.

I'm not changing my trigger. Its plenty fine enough out of the box.

Had a shield 9mm with an Apex, bought it used so I never knew what the stock trigger was like. Bought a new shield 45, and the trigger isn't bad at all. Its really heavy, but all MA BS triggers are like that. If I could get the free state version springs and whatnot, I would be more than satisfied. Paid around 430 for mine before tax IIRC. Have a N8squared holster and I don't even know the gun is there!

Had a shield 9mm with an Apex, bought it used so I never knew what the stock trigger was like. Bought a new shield 45, and the trigger isn't bad at all. Its really heavy, but all MA BS triggers are like that. If I could get the free state version springs and whatnot, I would be more than satisfied. Paid around 430 for mine before tax IIRC. Have a N8squared holster and I don't even know the gun is there!

I had two 9s. First one stayed stock for about 6 months and a few hundred rounds before putting the DCAEK kit in which IIRC is just a couple springs, new plunger and a new sear. Night and day. I just never shot them as well as double stacks because the single stack grip just doesn't fit well in my hands. I had to move my hand around to get a good grip before firing. Not something I want to think about if the shot matters. I don't conceal the 19 as well but I'd rather have a bump in my shirt with a gun I shoot well than no printing and no confidence. I hear the 45 is the same dimensions in the grip...trigger aside, I'm very doubtful I'd like the 45 for that reason. Every night I pray that I wake up to an ad for a G26 size M&P :D

I had two 9s. First one stayed stock for about 6 months and a few hundred rounds before putting the DCAEK kit in which IIRC is just a couple springs, new plunger and a new sear. Night and day. I just never shot them as well as double stacks because the single stack grip just doesn't fit well in my hands. I had to move my hand around to get a good grip before firing. Not something I want to think about if the shot matters. I don't conceal the 19 as well but I'd rather have a bump in my shirt with a gun I shoot well than no printing and no confidence. I hear the 45 is the same dimensions in the grip...trigger aside, I'm very doubtful I'd like the 45 for that reason. Every night I pray that I wake up to an ad for a G26 size M&P :D

I getcha. I have decent sized hands, I suppose. Seems to fit me pretty well. Once I grab it, its locked into my hand and ready. The 45 is a little bigger in the grip, and the texture is infinitely better. But I never had an issue with the 9 either I don't believe.

The guy shooting next to me yesterday had a brand new Shield.45. His is Ma compliant. Mine is not. His trigger pull was not gritty or sloppy but was very heavy. The pull weight on mine is 6lbs. His seemed much heavier and he shot a lot better with mine. It's unfortunate that shooters in this state have to pay more than people in other states just to have a decent trigger.

The guy shooting next to me yesterday had a brand new Shield.45. His is Ma compliant. Mine is not. His trigger pull was not gritty or sloppy but was very heavy. The pull weight on mine is 6lbs. His seemed much heavier and he shot a lot better with mine. It's unfortunate that shooters in this state have to pay more than people in other states just to have a decent trigger.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MA sells the 45 Shield with the (Free State) version without the safety. Is that unit a different SKU? So you couldn't buy it in NH have it sent to a FFL in MA?

Back
Top Bottom