• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 Shield

All you need is the hard sear, about $40.

The free state trigger return spring at $3 does a pretty adequate job.
Spend an additional 10-15 minutes adjusting the trigger bar and the reset is much improved, too. At least on the 9 and .40 Shields. Admittedly, this will not solve any "problems" with length of take-up or with the "crispness" of break, but I didn't think the Sheild was too bad in either of those. It's not a target gun.

Last edited:
I did just the Apex hard sear in a Shield and it was pretty good. Much better than stock. Better still, though, with the rest of the kit installed.

the stock S&W firing pin block is square and rough. garbage design. compare this to the apex firing pin block which is smooth and rounded. honestly just installing the firing pin block alone will remove almost all of the trigger grit. the rest of the apex kit is very nice, especially the sear, but if on a budget i find the firing pin replacement alone will suffice. apex sells the firing pin alone for ~$35.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...b-kit-s-and-w-m-and-p-pistols-stainless-steel

the stock S&W firing pin block is square and rough. garbage design. compare this to the apex firing pin block which is smooth and rounded. honestly just installing the firing pin block alone will remove almost all of the trigger grit. the rest of the apex kit is very nice, especially the sear, but if on a budget i find the firing pin replacement alone will suffice. apex sells the firing pin alone for ~$35.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...b-kit-s-and-w-m-and-p-pistols-stainless-steel

Firing Pin? from APEX? The link you provided is for the Ultimate Striker Block, not a firing pin? You hittin the sauce today?

Dude the first sentence of my post reads "firing pin block". All but the last sentence says "block". You know what im talking about. Apex doesnt make a firing pin. Congrats.

I don't like stippling but the factory did a great job on them IMOP. Had one in hand before I shipped it out and was not a bad fit in my Med sized hands.

Absolutely love the 45 shield stippling. I hope they backport the stippling to the other shield models.

I shot one last Sunday. The gun was controllable and had a good trigger but you won't see that good trigger in a Mass compliant version.

I wonder if the slide is any easier to rack than the 9.....not sure I'd like a .45 that small.

The shield 40 and 9 recoil springs are extremely stiff and difficult to manipulate straight from the factory. I don't recall the 45 being nearly as tough.

I shot one last Sunday. The gun was controllable and had a good trigger but you won't see that good trigger in a Mass compliant version.

I completely agree.

I got to shoot one while out of town last week. Feels better in my small hands and has better stock sights than my Glock 36. The trigger was exceptional but the MA Compliant thing will ruin that. Not enough improvement over the G36 for me to buy one.

Anymore first hand experience?

I just reluctantly bought one, Im no fan of small 45's, but I had one in hand out of state and shot it side by side vs. the XDS. I got a good deal on it brand new and shot it very well. Came home and got one.

Shield 45 is much more controllable, softer shooting. I have the no safety model, and trigger and not bad with an nice feeling and audible reset. Its close to a glock trigger as I;ve seen on any smith, znd I'd say its 6# or less. I shoot it very well, bang steel at 20 yards every time. Started breaking it in today with 100 rounds of reloads and not a hiccup at all. Shooting decent power loads out of it, recoil is very manageable, seems much more so than the XDS. I have no idea why, the shield has a higher bore axis.

I like the new frame too...thing feels good in the hand. Smith did a nice job with it.

Last edited:
Finally got the chance to shoot mine this afternoon. S&W did their homework and knocked this one out of the park.

As soon as my holster comes in the Shield is taking over EDC duties over my 19.

Back
Top Bottom