• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 Shield

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MA sells the 45 Shield with the (Free State) version without the safety. Is that unit a different SKU? So you couldn't buy it in NH have it sent to a FFL in MA?

The "MA Shield" is a special extra shitty version with shit trigger, just for MA.

You can buy a normal one if you look around hard enough. Some dealers probably will inbound them too on a rugsweep job, but we're not going to talk about that here for obvious reasons.

-Mike

The guy shooting next to me yesterday had a brand new Shield.45. His is Ma compliant. Mine is not. His trigger pull was not gritty or sloppy but was very heavy. The pull weight on mine is 6lbs. His seemed much heavier and he shot a lot better with mine. It's unfortunate that shooters in this state have to pay more than people in other states just to have a decent trigger.

I'm kinda surprised by this but probably just smith being overly cautious. I have the free state trigger and yes it's a bit gritty but it's lighter than some of my glocks. I didn't measure but it's likely 4-5 pounds. No more than that

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MA sells the 45 Shield with the (Free State) version without the safety. Is that unit a different SKU? So you couldn't buy it in NH have it sent to a FFL in MA?

The MA guns have the 10Lb Trigger...

The MA Shield 45 no Thumb Safety is 11705

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-45-shield-no-thumb-safety-ma-compliant

The Ma Shield 45 with Thumb Safety is 11704

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-45-shield-thumb-safety-ma-compliant

Here is the wright up from the S&W Website for the no thumb safety gun, 11705:

Overview

The reality of protection is that you never know when you’ll need it. We took the power and features of our full sized M&P pistols and put them into a slim, lightweight pistol the size of your hand. The M&P SHIELD is an easy to conceal pistol that offers professional grade features with simple operation and reliable performance day or night. One million Shield owners can’t be wrong.

Features
• 10 lb. Trigger Pull
• Massachusetts Compliant
• New aggressive grip texture specific to the M&P45
• Front cocking serrations
• Incorporates the design features of the M&P Shield line of firearms
• Extremely thin and lightweight - can be comfortably carried all day
• 18 degree grip angle for natural point of aim
• Striker-fired for short consistent trigger pull, every time
• Armornite® Durable Corrosion Resistant Finish
• Polymer frame with embedded stainless steel rigid chassis
• M&P’s patented take-down lever and sear deactivation systems allow for disassembly without pulling the trigger
• No thumb safety
• Includes 2 magazines, one with extended capacity for full grip

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
Availability subject to applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.

Specifications

SKU: 11705

Model: M&P®45 SHIELD™ No Thumb Safety MA Compliant

Caliber: .45 AUTO

Capacity: 6+1, 7+1

Safety: No Thumb Safety

Barrel Length: 3.3” (8.4 cm)

Overall Length: 6.5"

Front Sight: Steel White Dot

Rear Sight: Steel - White Two Dot

Action: Striker Fire

Grip: Poymer

Weight: 20.5 oz / 581.2g

Barrel Material: Stainless Steel - Armornite™ Finish

Slide Material: Stainless Steel - Armornite™ Finish

Frame Material: Polymer

Slide Finish: Armornite®

Frame Finish: Matte Black

Purpose: Concealed Carry, Home Protection, Personal Protection, State Compliance

This is from the one with the Safety, 11704:

Overview

The reality of protection is that you never know when you’ll need it. We took the power and features of our full sized M&P pistols and put them into a slim, lightweight pistol the size of your hand. The M&P SHIELD is an easy to conceal pistol that offers professional grade features with simple operation and reliable performance day or night. One million Shield owners can’t be wrong.

Features
• 10 lb. Trigger Pull
• Massachusetts Compliant
• New aggressive grip texture specific to the M&P®45 Shield™
• Front cocking serrations
• Incorporates the design features of the M&P Shield line of firearms
• Extremely thin and lightweight - can be comfortably carried all day
• 18 degree grip angle for natural point of aim
• Striker-fired for short consistent trigger pull, every time
• Armornite® Durable Corrosion Resistant Finish
• Polymer frame with embedded stainless steel rigid chassis
• M&P’s patented take-down lever and sear deactivation systems allow for disassembly without pulling the trigger
• Thumb safety
• Includes 2 magazines, one with extended capacity for full grip

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
Availability subject to applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.

Specifications

SKU: 11704

Model: M&P®45 SHIELD™ Thumb Safety MA Compliant

Caliber: .45 AUTO

Capacity: 6+1, 7+1

Safety: Thumb Safety

Barrel Length: 3.3” (8.4 cm)

Overall Length: 6.5"

Front Sight: Steel - White Dot

Rear Sight: Steel - White Two Dot

Action: Striker Fire

Grip: Polymer

Weight: 20.5 oz / 581.2g

Barrel Material: Stainless Steel - Armornite™ Finish

Slide Material: Stainless Steel - Armornite™ Finish

Frame Material: Polymer

Slide Finish: Armornite®

Frame Finish: Matte Black

Purpose: Concealed Carry, Home Protection, Personal Protection, State Compliance

Last edited:
I'm kinda surprised by this but probably just smith being overly cautious. I have the free state trigger and yes it's a bit gritty but it's lighter than some of my glocks. I didn't measure but it's likely 4-5 pounds. No more than that

MA compliant guns have to be sold NEW with the 10 Lb trigger...

Nothing saying you can't put a APEX kit intro it to make it better... Or some dealers will sell you the gun and do the APEX kit for you on site...

Doesn't the presence of a mechanical external safety remove the 10lb trigger requirement? I'm fairly sure the ruger striker fired guns are well below 10lb.

Nothing saying you can't put a APEX kit intro it to make it better... Or some dealers will sell you the gun and do the APEX kit for you on site...

This. Had the Apex kit installed on my 45 Shield and it's a night and day difference. IMO it's worth the extra coin.

I have yet to shoot the 45 shield, but love my commander 1911. Any feedback on recoil would be appreciated.

sent via Samsung Galaxy S6

I shoot mine a couple of times a week and the recoil is quite manageable. Even with 230 grain +P, it's not difficult to control.

MA compliant guns have to be sold NEW with the 10 Lb trigger...

Really....

Try an HK VP9 or Steyr on the trigger scale new. Then tell me about new guns having to have 10# triggers.

Not that I care, my Shield 45 is free state, and after a few hundred rounds and some dry firing, the trigger is like 4#, with a nice reset. It has no need for an Apex that's for sure.

There was a post here not long ago that mentioned that the guns had to have either a 10 pound trigger OR a manual safety to be compliant, unless I misunderstood it, so if the regulation says that then if the gun has both the manufacturer is probably interpreting 940CMR16 in a different light and providing both.

There was a post here not long ago that mentioned that the guns had to have either a 10 pound trigger OR a manual safety to be compliant, unless I misunderstood it, so if the regulation says that then if the gun has both the manufacturer is probably interpreting 940CMR16 in a different light and providing both.

There's no consistency to the CMR940 garbage regulation or its enforcement. The regulation is stupid and should just be ignored by consumers. Just stop thinking about it. It's literally not our problem anyways (as consumers are not liable in terms of violating these regulations) and on top of that various dealers and distributors in MA have different interpretations of these regulations, basically made off wild assed guesses their attorney/counsel made. It's a total shit show.

-Mike

Went to the range to get some rounds through the Shield. It has to be one of my favorite guns to shoot. Its an absolute riot. Such a powerful punch from a little gun. The pinky extension and the grip texturing were really nice to have. And I seemed to do really well with it once I got my grip squared away.

Really....

Try an HK VP9 or Steyr on the trigger scale new. Then tell me about new guns having to have 10# triggers.

Not that I care, my Shield 45 is free state, and after a few hundred rounds and some dry firing, the trigger is like 4#, with a nice reset. It has no need for an Apex that's for sure.

OH I'm not saying that I like 10 Plus Pound Tigger's... I was just saying that is what "MASS LAW" says it has to be...

All my MA bought guns have better trigger's in them now, I hate a heavy/ruff trigger...

I'm still working on my 9 Shield, I have a APEX trigger that I'm putting in and I bought a spring kit that I'm going to try a few springs out of...

Right now my Shield is at 6.5 Lbs with the APEX Duty kit, I'd like to get it down around 4 to 5 Lbs with the stuff I have...

I plan on picking up a 45 Shield so I'll be doing trigger work on that one as well [grin]

OH I'm not saying that I like 10 Plus Pound Tigger's... I was just saying that is what "MASS LAW" says it has to be...

All my MA bought guns have better trigger's in them now, I hate a heavy/ruff trigger...

I'm still working on my 9 Shield, I have a APEX trigger that I'm putting in and I bought a spring kit that I'm going to try a few springs out of...

Right now my Shield is at 6.5 Lbs with the APEX Duty kit, I'd like to get it down around 4 to 5 Lbs with the stuff I have...

I plan on picking up a 45 Shield so I'll be doing trigger work on that one as well [grin]
Can you provide a link to said law?

I got a .45 Shield with the manual safety and it has a 9.5 lb trigger. When is Apex going to make a kit for that?

APEX does make them for the Shield 45:

Kit number 100-166 (see below)

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/192516

APEX kit with Thin Blue Line Trigger:

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/192591

Just the APEX Thin Blue Line Trigger:

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/192590

APEX kit with regular trigger:

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/192515

Just the regular APEX trigger:

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/192514

Hyve Technologies you can get their trigger and you can get their Plus 1/2 mag extension ( *This extension is a +1 for the 7 Rd Mag, and a +2 for the 6 Rd mag.* ) or you can get a premade magazine...:

https://hyvetechnologiesbuilder.com/index.php/product-category/shield-45/

I have the +2 mag extension on my Shield 9 and I love them, it gives me 10 rounds in each magazine plus it actually fits my Bear Paws better with those extensions on... I love how the Shield fits my hand now...

2016-09-23 19.03.33.jpg

2016-09-23 22.35.40.jpg

Last edited:
Can you provide a link to said law?

Let me 1st say I am NO LAWYER...

Look at Post 213, 217, 226, 233...

It's MA Law or MA Required or how ever you want to look at it...

To get a Shield in MA it is suppose to be SKU number 11704 W/Thumb Safety or 11705 No Thumb Safety (post 213)...

If you can get one of the so called "Free State" 45's, in MA, more power to you... As far as I know it wasn't suppose to be sold to you by a MA Dealer (according to MA)... If they sold it to you GREAT, keep quiet about it and say thank you... They could get in trouble with MA for selling it... As far as I know...

Know if your buddy bought it and then sold it to you, as far as I know that's legal... If you bought it out of state somehow and then took it home, as far as I know about that, that's illegal...

If you want to tell me how you bought or where you bought a Shield 45 in MA, by MA Law or MA Required (however you want to say it) let me know and I'd buy it so I don't have to play with it doing a APEX Kit and all...

AGAIN I AM NOT A LAWYER, and I'm not Martha trolling here to try and catch you in something...

I'm just a guy trying to buy a gun in this messed up COMMYWEALTH OF MA!!!

Has anyone seen the performance center .45? I was looking into them. They have an upgraded trigger and hi viz sites already installed. The barrel and slide also have been ported. I'm not sure if i like that or not . I've never shot a short barrel with porting.
It seems like it would be cheaper to get the PC version then piecing those parts in after.

Has anyone seen the performance center .45? I was looking into them. They have an upgraded trigger and hi viz sites already installed. The barrel and slide also have been ported. I'm not sure if i like that or not . I've never shot a short barrel with porting.
It seems like it would be cheaper to get the PC version then piecing those parts in after.

I saw a video with Julie Golob and Jerry Mickolack (?) shooting it... They said they liked it... It looked like it shoot nice, but in their hands anything looks good...

I would think it would be cheaper also to buy it already done...Heck it will most likely cost you the price of the gun just for the barrel and slide then you still need to do the other work to it... Buy it done already...

Let me 1st say I am NO LAWYER...

Look at Post 213, 217, 226, 233...

It's MA Law or MA Required or how ever you want to look at it...

If a 10 lb trigger is required, how are you able to walk into Cabela's and buy a HK VP9 with no safety and 5 lb trigger?

It's not required, some gun manufacturers are just stupid.

If a 10 lb trigger is required, how are you able to walk into Cabela's and buy a HK VP9 with no safety and 5 lb trigger?

It's not required, some gun manufacturers are just stupid.

VP 9 is on the list, so it's OK by MA, not sure why but it's on the list... Who knows with MA, they say one thing and do another...

Plus this Thread is about the SHIELD not a VP9...

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster10-2016.pdf

As far as I know the Shield falls under the "Trigger Rule" for some reason...

Remember there are two lists in MA, the AG's is the one that has the 940 CMR 16.05 rules http://www.mass.gov/ago/docs/regulations/940-cmr-16-00.pdf http://www.mass.gov/ago/government-resources/ags-regulations/

All I know is as I said this CommyWealth of MA is screwed up when it comes to guns... That's how THEY want it... The harder they make it for us to get guns the more they like it!!!

I'm done with this...

I shot one 2 weeks ago.
Hi Viz sights version. The trigger was pretty sweet, actually felt a little lighter than
my shield 9 (and Greg Derr Did the trigger on that one for me). I didn't notice any considerable muzzle flash either.
overall, I was pretty surprised and impressed with the thing.

Back
Top Bottom