• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 question...if I decided not to get a 1911....

The Ruger P345 is my main choice for ccw. Slim, 8rd, easy to conceal in a supertuck iwb holster & easy on your wallet. I to have had mine about 4 years now with no issues at all. I just brought it to my local gunsmith last saturday to have night sights put on it. Can't wait to get it back! In the mean time, i have a Ruger LC9/Walther ppk/s .380 as back up guns. You can't go wrong with the Ruger P345. Mine is all black but they have the 2 tone too. Good luck on your "45" quest.

I know your looking for stainless. You can find an hk usp full size 45 with the stainless slide but even the blued hks have a great finish that holds up extremely well. If your looking for more unique look around and try an find an hk usp with the colored frames. You can find them with a tan, grey, or od frame which I think looks awesome

Relatively new to firearms so excuse my ignorance...how does one go about purchasing an XD? Is it through a private sale only? They are not for sale by retailers, correct?

How about a KAHR P45? Great gun, light, accurate , and SLIM. like a 1911.

If its a carry gun give some serious consideration to the KAHR. The CW45 is functionally identical and much cheaper, less than $400.

Relatively new to firearms so excuse my ignorance...how does one go about purchasing an XD? Is it through a private sale only? They are not for sale by retailers, correct?

Yes Face to Face (FTF) sales are going to be your best bet. Keeping your eye on the classifieds here is how I got mine.

thanks for the replies everyone. I think Im down to a few good possibilities, arranged in sorta-order:

Sig P220 or if I can find it, P245
Sig P250 - full size, if I can find it
Sprngfield XD - again, if I can find it
SW M&P - only finds its way down here because out of the box, I need a new trigger

FInally, a friend of mine who is a cop told me to look again at glock, the m21, specifically - your thoughts on this? She said that yes, the grips are wide (and I had a G17) but her theory is that I shoot lousy with a 9mm - its not the gun at all? She said that people can in fact be caliber sensitive and that even if the 9 isnt as hard hitting, if I shoot better with a .45, I should try a .45 glock....

I respect her, shes been a cop awhile and served as an MP.....but does this sound....retarded?

Yes. That sounds retarded. You hold a gun still and press trigger until it goes bang. The bullet is already gone by the time the big bad caliber gets involved.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Sig P220.

Gunsmith Ludwig Seecamp was making living converting 1911's to DA pistols until one day he walked into his shop with ar Broning BDA (Sig P220 wity the Euro mag relaese) and said that's it the gig is up, we have to find something else to make.
I say go with either the Sig P220 or look at an HK pistol.
Those two pistols have the reputation they do for good reason.
smitty

.............sig 220 st,,smooth shooting 8 rd mag. low recoil..My nite table gun. also can be used as a club in a dark hallway..

M&P 45 cant beat the price ,and can custom fit with different grip sizes . You must do apex duty carry kit ,will make it a tack driver. I have two of them a carry and comp. Also have sig 220 very well built gun very accurate too. but if you have small or medium hands grip might be too big, also almost 2x cost of M&P

Yes. That sounds retarded. You hold a gun still and press trigger until it goes bang. The bullet is already gone by the time the big bad caliber gets involved.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

That makes no sense.

1) if the big bad bullet hits you too hard for comfort, you will fear the gun and never shoot it well.
2) most of us don't shoot only one shot. shot recovery time is a significant factor in the shooting sports and self defense.

Last edited:
That makes no sense.

1) if the big bag bullet hits you too hard for comfort, you will fear the gun and never shoot it well.
2) most of us don't shoot only one shot. shot recovery time is a significant factor in the shooting sports and self defense.

but her theory is that I shoot lousy with a 9mm - its not the gun at all? She said that people can in fact be caliber sensitive and that even if the 9 isnt as hard hitting, if I shoot better with a .45, I should try a .45 glock....

So shoot the bigger caliber then? I actually agree with you when it comes to follow-up shots... etc...

you might also want to consider a S&W 451e tsw, its a DA/SA

D is not that difficult, and its an alloy so its easy to carry. these

are no longer made, try gunbroker.

ruger p345 is a nice .45 for the money....nice smooth trigger, and accurate.

let me add a late contestant - thanks to bonedigger -- the p345 by ruger....the more i read, the more i like..

I don't know why you'd get ribbed - except by someone who's never owned or fired one...It's a nice gun - a sleeper. It's also easy on the wallet...

The Ruger P345 is the only P Series in .45 that has survived and is still being made.
I have had one since they first came out and it is a work horse.

It is apples and oranges with any/my 1911 though.

Last edited:
Are you local to Hopkinton Ma? I have several 1911's and a SA XDm in .45.

Most of what I have isn't mass compliant do can be tough to find, but if you wanted to try any to see the differences you are welcome to meet me at the range sometime.

Back
Top Bottom