45 options

G21SF hands down.

On the other hand, If this is just a range toy and you don't want to spend a lot of money, get a RIA 1911.

-Mike

If you like Glocks, the G21 is awesome. A little big, but an all around outstanding gun. The Springfield XDM line is even better, but these are tough to get in MA for a fair price. I always hated 1911s myself, then I bought a Smith and Wesson E series and it is now my favorite pistol. For CC I don't reccomend a 1911, but for fun at the range, they rock!

Ruger P345 is a nice little shooter.

i will second that. the ruger p345 is a great little shooter. ive had mine for 3 yrs now and havent had a problem with it. accuracy is very good also. ive shot hollow points, semi wad cutters and round nose (both cast and jacketed) all 230 grain and it fed them all with no problems.

bob

Last edited:
Sig 245 was replaced with p220 Carry. Your view of 1911s might be changed if you look at Fusions (Bob Serva, former CEO of Dan Wesson I think).

i agree the hk are nice but for something i'm not going to shoot that often,
not sure i can justify that kind of money. still looking around
some options given here, thx, i may end up with a 1911 style
since i just want to plink w/ it every now and then, but still looking at other options

If you want a .45, get a real .45, the one that started it all:

WWcoltpeacemaker.jpg

Tough to find in MA but I have a Springfield XD45 Tactical (5 inch barrel) and its a great shooter. I shoot it better than the 1911 I built.
I recommend the Glock 21SF too.
S&W M&P 45 is a great gun and easily found new and used in MA...you'll need a trigger job on a new one.
HK USP 45 or the newer HK45 which I saw two seen being sold personal sale a few weeks ago.

I know its not polymer but You could always go the revolver route if you like them and get a S&W 625JM which is a 6-shot 4" barrel stainless double action revolver.

The Springfield 5.25 45ACP is beautiful. I have read good reviews so I'd try and find one of those of you can. The price will be a bit higher because of MA but I bet it's a great gun. The Glock 21 is a proven performer and if it felt good I'd think that would be better for you. If you want smaller, go for the Glock 30.

I just saw your post, as a range toy get the Glock 21, preferably used. Four Seasons has a couple at $699, $749. You might as well buy an HK if you're spending that much on a used Glock.

My vote is for the glock 30 or glock 21 SF or standard grip that's on you.

I wouldn't give up my g30 ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the price four seasons is selling used old Glocks you would be crazy or lazy to pay. If you end up wanting a new glock 21 for the same price 4seasons is selling old ones, it can happen.

I would say buy a S&W M&P 45, nice gun.

I didn't look if you were MASS or not, if your not MASS you will get a good trigger, if your MASS just plan on a trigger job or a APPEX Kit.

Or you might find a good used one out there that allrerady had the trigger job done.

The Rugers are nice guns also.

I just picked up a M&P 45 the other day myself.

went to bass pro last night, just to fondle, i did not like the m&p, it was heavier than
the sig 220 didn't feel good in my hands. so far, i think it's between the sig and the glock
i haven't havd a chance to hold an xd, as far as the used glocks, i'm not sure if they are the sf model
or the regular. too many choices, never enough money.
anyone know if the fn45 is available in ma?

Last edited:
ok so the fn is out, found 1 but owner wants 5k not happening
any opinions on the ruger 345 (i think that is the model?)
thx

i'm thinking of adding a 45acp to my collection.
i'm not a 1911 type, was steered away from the sig250
kind of like the sig 220 but i want to go polymer
what are my other options?
i fondled a glock 21 sf and liked it, but just wanted
to know what else is out there.

thx
garyz

what do you want to do with this gun, target, carry, plink???

A used M&P 45 will keep you very happy for cheap money. Get new springs for the trigger from Apex for $20 bucks and you'll be hard pressed to find a better shooter outside of 1911

Edit: just saw that you held one and thought it was heavy. Probably because the barrel can feel heavier than most. I had a 4" xd45 that felt a ton lighter and was very comfortable. But the m&p just points better and had a better sight radius

Last edited:
I have both,a 345 and S&W M&P 45 . The 345 is sowewaht lighter but the trigger leaves something to be desired. All in al not a bad little gun for price. As far as the M&P the trigger plain sucks but I love the fact that the back straps are changable to fit you hand. There are several companies in the area that will do an action job on a S&W,the 345 I'm not sure if anything can be done other than change the main spring to improve trigger pull. As far as durability the Ruger pistol are tanks you'll be hard pressed to break one and if you do Ruger will fix it no problem. S&W lifetime warranty. IIRC I got my M&P in the$500 range and the ERuger 345 can be had new in the $400 range.

Back
Top Bottom