• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 Long Colt Frangible Bullets with shot

20200408_131155.jpg
I acquired these yesterday and am going to try loading them up and sending them downrange. I have zero experience with them, so dumb question alert:
Does the jacketed part act as a "vessel" all the way until impact with the target and them break apart, allowing the shot to break up and do damage or do they separate in air, similar a shotgun was, allowing just the shot to hit the target.
I assume it is the former, as the jacketed part has enough energy and mass to hit the target vs a plastic wad. But there is some uncertainty in my knowledge here, so I assume to ask.

Interesting bullet, part frangi part bonded core. Yeah, first one. The bullet hits something solid, part of the energy gets released when the nose of the projectile (frangibilities?) breaks up, and the core keeps moving. Frangi rounds are interesting because they break up into a powder, make a nice wound cavity with nice bits of metal for the surgeon to pull out, but won't over penetrate.

Interesting bullet, part frangi part bonded core. Yeah, first one. The bullet hits something solid, part of the energy gets released when the nose of the projectile (frangibilities?) breaks up, and the core keeps moving. Frangi rounds are interesting because they break up into a powder, make a nice wound cavity with nice bits of metal for the surgeon to pull out, but won't over penetrate.
I thought they were interesting as well. It's a shame there is such a small quantity of them. I hate to waste them on just plinking, but would want more to do some actual testing at how they shoot.

You'll have to shoot some and report back.
I've had many frangible bullets (Sinterfire variety w/o shot) fracture when shot in a revolver resulting in two holes in the target. A crisp hole where the blunt base portion hits and a mushy hole where the round nose impacts.
Based on this, you may have the frangible break up as it exits the forcing cone and barrel...don't know.

You need to shoot some phone books or something. Those little pellets are going to do a full energy dump and not penetrate anywhere once they get loose. Like Glaser "safety" bullets from a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom