• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 colt w/ 777?

Anyone load 45 colt with triple 7?
I have a whole bunch of T7 I use in my 1858 BP revolver, and wanted to try BP cartridges (I have a 45 colt conversion cylinder, rated for smokeless cowboy loads). I got some load data from Hodgdon, but wanted to get some more info:
What primers do you use?
What charge? I usually use 25gr of T7 with the 1858, under a speer roundball and felt wad. Hodgdon lists 30 and 35 grain.
COL? Do you basically just seat the bullet flush against the powder (compression not allowed w/ 777). Is the powder charge set by bullet depth? Any books or online materials you recommend? Thanks.

I've used a 35 gr charge of T7 behind a 250 gr rnfp or swc and it's a blast to shoot. If you can locate some 45 Schofield brass same bullet weight and 30 gr T7 ia a more efficient load.
Don't be fooled even though it's "black powder" charged it still a fairly potent load,Not magnum level but more power then factory. After you've fired your ammo throw the cases in some soapy water T7 is tough on brass

If that cylinder is rated for cowboy loads, I would not fire a full black powder load. The original load (which you probably can't fit in a modern solid head case) was 40 grains and pushed that big lead bullet at 900 fps. You'll probably have to reduce that by about 200fps or go to a lighter bullet.

I don't understand why you'd want to use BP or a BP substitute in a conversion cylinder when a starting to moderate load of smokeless powder under a lead bullet will do just as good without the clean up. I use 7 grains of Unique and a 250 grain lead bullet and it's a wonderful load.

I'm planning on trying Trail Boss out as well to see how much lower the recoil is.

If you're set on trying BP or substitute in a cartridge, I agree with post #2 about using shorter brass, but not Schofield. The Schofield brass won't fit in a .45 Colt shell holder cuz the rim is too large in diameter. Trim some .45 Colt brass down and you'll be better off and not have to spend $5 on a shell holder.

Not that you'd be unsafe with shooting a max load of Triple 7 in .45 Colt, it won't blow up. The 1858 isn't strong enough to take that kind of punishment.

I have Starline 45 Schofield brass and I use the same shell holder as the 45 Colt on my 650. I do have a 45 Colt she'l holder I'll check later to see it Schofield brass fits.

I should add here I have 3 45 Colt revolvers by Ruger 2 single actions both are Bisley versions and a Redhawk that have no problem with Schofield brass. I have a Super Redhawk in 454 haven't tried 45 S&W in it I'll dig out some brass and see if it fits.

I don't understand why you'd want to use BP or a BP substitute in a conversion cylinder when a starting to moderate load of smokeless powder under a lead bullet will do just as good without the clean up. I use 7 grains of Unique and a 250 grain lead bullet and it's a wonderful load.

I'm planning on trying Trail Boss out as well to see how much lower the recoil is.

If you're set on trying BP or substitute in a cartridge, I agree with post #2 about using shorter brass, but not Schofield. The Schofield brass won't fit in a .45 Colt shell holder cuz the rim is too large in diameter. Trim some .45 Colt brass down and you'll be better off and not have to spend $5 on a shell holder.

Not that you'd be unsafe with shooting a max load of Triple 7 in .45 Colt, it won't blow up. The 1858 isn't strong enough to take that kind of punishment.

Not OP, but Ive been itching for a bp revolver and will probably get the conversion cylinder with it right off the bat. Its all aesthetics for me. The blued steel, brass, octagonal barrel, over-all look... Im already shooting 45Colt in a Blackhawk. If someone out there was making a smokeless revolver that looked like an 1851 or 1858 Id buy it.

I have an 1858 with a conversion cylinder. I have never used 777, but I do load Goex 3F. I load 35 grs under a 255 gr bullet. The light smokeless cowboy loads are fun and accurate. However, real black powder makes that gun roar and belch smoke and flame. It is just plain fun to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom