• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 colt reloading question

I use Federal (or Winchester if I have to). Primarily because I shoot Colt SAA's and Uberti and Marlin rifles that have had work done to lighten action. Federals are the softest.

The only choice you have is Large Pistol or Large Pistol Magnum. You don't need the magnum if you're loading to standard pressure. If you're loading H110 to "Ruger/TC-only" levels, you might want the magnum primers. I use Winchester Large Pistol primers for 45 Colt, anyway, and those are for standard or magnum loads.

Sorry, I asked the question poorly. I should have asked if a person should use a different primer, than Large Pistol when loading for a rifle? Thanks for the help, and clearing this up for me!!

Large rifle primers are "taller" than large pistol primers and your cartridge is a pistol cartridge (with a pistol primer pocket) and pressures will be in the range of pistol pressures.

I thought only large rifle magnum primers were taller but regardless, .45 Colt is a handgun caliber and should be loaded with pistol primers.

Back
Top Bottom