45 auto defense ammo?

I'm wondering if there is any prefered 45 auto ammo for defense out there. I'm talking for 1911 style pistols, so it has to feed reliably of course. So far I've just used the cheap winchester packs. Also, if buying something special for home defense is it a good idea to practice with it? Seems like that could get expensive...

Federal HST. Cheaper than hydroshock AND better performance.

I shoot a hundred or two of a carry load before I trust it. I shoot off a box in practice every other month or so. The HST in 45 is noticeably hotter than WWB. I don't notice as much difference in 9mm.

Whatever HP ammo you intend to carry in your 1911, I'd say run a couple of boxes through it first to make sure it's going to feed reliably in your particular weapon. Personally, I use 230gr Winchester Ranger SXT's in all my .45's, 1911's, Glock, ect. It's good stuff if you can come by it.

I bought, tested and carried a lot of .45ACP - especially in my compact 1911's. One round that I really liked was the 185gr Remington Golden Sabre. It was almost rifle-like out of my 3" Para. Jolly good stuff...

that's what I keep for my 1911 - 5" barrel [smile]

I've fired at least 250 rounds(10 boxes of 25) of this stuff w/o one single hiccup.

I trust it! and it's relatively cheap @ $19.99, always in stock - I usually go for the 230gr BTW.

edit: even though this isn't my carry gun, i like to pretend it could be

I've fired at least 250 rounds(10 boxes of 25) of this stuff w/o one single hiccup.

I trust it! and it's relatively cheap @ $19.99, always in stock - I usually go for the 230gr BTW.

edit: even though this isn't my carry gun, i like to pretend it could be

Yeah, for some reason out of my Para, the 185gr seemed more accurate. I just ran a box of the 230gr through a good friends Sig220 and it works like a champ...

I use military surplus ball ammo, but like others stated I do not carry this gun (colt government) very often. I had some FTF (chambering) with the LE Speer stuff in my gun, so I stick with what always feeds, 100%.

Remington Golden Sabers and ball ammo.

Golden Sabers have a shape very close to ball ammo and feed very well.

I've always preferred Federal's 230gr HydraShok, however I've recently switched over to their newer HydraShok2 (HST). Any older guns that might have a problem with the feeding HPs, I used Remmington Golden Sabres which seem to feed just about good as ball.

Sorry for the 'new guy'/ question, but with .45 ACP stopping power, like a Mike Tyson fist in the face, is it really that important to carry JHP - as opposed to regular military ball ammo? Just wondering if the trade off of losing the smooth reliability of ball ammo feeding is worth the slight benefit of JHP.

Especially, given most justified self defense applications occur within 10-15 feet - is the stopping power of JHP really needed? I know we all like to envision ourselves like Sam Elliott in We Were Soldiers Once, shooting the NVA from 100 meters away, one handed with GI iron sights...

Sorry for the 'new guy'/ question, but with .45 ACP stopping power, like a Mike Tyson fist in the face, is it really that important to carry JHP - as opposed to regular military ball ammo? Just wondering if the trade off of losing the smooth reliability of ball ammo feeding is worth the slight benefit of JHP.

Especially, given most justified self defense applications occur within 10-15 feet - is the stopping power of JHP really needed? I know we all like to envision ourselves like Sam Elliott in We Were Soldiers Once, shooting the NVA from 100 meters away, one handed with GI iron sights...

A JHP may prevent through and through penetration at close range, which could be a good thing under some circumstances, like a paper thin wall to the next apartment or occupied room.

I JHP also transfers more energy than ball, which means better effect on target.

Thanks Finalygotabeltfed. This makes sense.
I was thinking with the lower subsonic muzzle velocity of a 230 grain round most energy gets dumped into the target anyways...but for really close in situations, I suppose there's always the danger of pass through...and you know there's a bus of nuns and orphans right behind the crazed bad guy.

Bullet over penetration is only one reason for hollow points. Another is wound cavity. So let me pose a question. Which would you least want tearing through your body?
lrnnf8.gif

Or

187copperbulletpic45ve2.gif

Nuff said joehaus. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I'll save the ball ammo for the range and keep a magazine of Federal Hydrashock or Corbon for carry purposes.

Anyone ever use the Glaser Safety slugs out of curiosity?

Number 6

Seems like that could get expensive...[/QUOTE]

What is the value of your life and loved ones? [thinking]

Glasers S/S come in packages of six and are expensive. They have great ballistic data; however they deliver tiny shot. Which brings us back to the great debate; heavy and slow or light and fast?

I bought, tested and carried a lot of .45ACP - especially in my compact 1911's. One round that I really liked was the 185gr Remington Golden Sabre. It was almost rifle-like out of my 3" Para. Jolly good stuff...

Can you tell me where? I think I want to pick up some of this stuff and try it.

I agree. I use 185 grain Golden Sabres in all my carry guns for years. It is a good HP that will still penetrate with the brass jacket.

Back
Top Bottom