45 ACP

George,

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it here!

I would be VERY leery of using anyone else's loading data other than the mfr of the components, but here are a few online resources to perhaps check out:

- http://www.ammoguide.com/
- http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm?CFID=252173&CFTOKEN=24368407
- http://nationalbullet.com/index.php?name=Loading_Data

I have never used any of the above for loading data and I am NOT recommending any of these sites as having accurate or safe data to use, so please use due caution with any info you find posted there.

My recommendation to you would be to go to the website of the manufacture of the powder, and they will most likely have load data for what you are looking to do. They will give you a range of powder grains to work with to find the load that is perfect for you.

Without knowing exactly what powder, and what bullet style you are using, would make it impossible for anyone here to give you any advice on the actual load data for that round.

Adam

PS. TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF YELLING.

Sorry Adam I'm so use to typing in caps.
I've looked up the powder mfg's Alliant, Hogdons, and they go all around the 255gr cast bullet. I am casting with a Lee rn mold. I use this bullet in my 45 colt load but cant find one for the acp. I can guess but would rather try to find someone that has data for it.

thanks, George

I'll tell you what. If all else fails. Call the powder manufacture. I've called for some weird combos that I wanted to load. They will work with you over the phone. If you look up the website, they will have a 1-800 number on there somewhere. When they answer the phone, just tell them that you're looking for a certain load. They will give you to the person that can help you.

GEORGE PERRY said:
Sorry Adam I'm so use to typing in caps.
I've looked up the powder mfg's Alliant, Hogdons, and they go all around the 255gr cast bullet. I am casting with a Lee rn mold. I use this bullet in my 45 colt load but cant find one for the acp. I can guess but would rather try to find someone that has data for it.

thanks, George

Hey, George... Got a question for you. Do you know for sure that the 255 gr bullet will feed in your .45? Or are you going to be shooting it in a revolver?

Just wondering; I've never heard of a 255 gr bullet for .45ACP before. Maybe it's for .45 Long Colt?

I will call the powder mfg's and try that ave. I use the 255gr in my ruger 45 long colt revolver but cant see why it wouldn't in the 45acp.
If they give me loading data would you be interested in it? Thanks for the help greatly appreciated.

George.

Just got around to reading your post. I've used 5.5 grs. Unique with a Keith 255 swc. In a series 70 Colt. It worked but I only did it for a test of functioning. No accuracy or chrono readings to report. That particular gun would feed them however. Chuck Taylor has a article or two on loading the 45 auto rim. Also try www.handloads.com

Wondering if it will work period...

The .45ACP cast bullet is generally .451 where as the 45 Colt is .452 diameter.

Don't know about the bullet length total, but the .45 Colt cast bullet at 255grn in my loading manual looks MUCH longer than the bullets listed in the .45ACP section. They don't give measurements of the bullets in length but from the pictures it looks longer. I wonder if it would seat correctly given the added length.

Adam

That diameter difference is irrelevant. And, IIRC, 45 Colt (Long Colt) uses a .455 bullet. .452 is a correct diameter for .45 ACP.

As to length, if it feeds, it will work.

As I don't have pictures of these two heads, but if one is longer than the other. You can seat it deeper, but you would just use less powder wouldn't you? Wouldn't it effect pressure to have it seat lower than a standard .45 head?

Yes, it does affect pressure, but not a lot of change, since you would want lighter loads with lead bullets normally.

My question is WHY?

I use 200 grain SWC's when I load lead 45 ACP ammo.

Back
Top Bottom