• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 ACP, why no load data for 185 LSWC?

Where there once was a man in the mountain
I'm trying to find manuals that have load data for 185 LSWC for 45 ACP.

I picked up 500 rounds of 185 gr LSWC lubed and sized thinking they would make a good light load for punching paper holes for the 1911.

It seems that everywhere I look, the manuals have load data for 185 gr jacketed SWC, but none seem to list 185 lead SWC, why is this?

A few told me to refer to the lyman manual, as that has 185 LSWC listed, but my Lyman 49th seems to only list JSWC.

Here's what I have or checked so far: Hornady (didn't expect anything but jacketed there), Lyman 49th, Hodgdon online, Alliant Powder online.

Can anyone suggest another load data manual or reliable source for me to check? Or should I return the 500 rounds of 185 LSWC before I open the package?

I currently have the following powders available: Unique, Tightgroup, W231.

I've seen some online recipies, but I prefer to find a reliable source of tested
load data.

Not a big difference..... just use the jacketed data. just reduce the charge a little bit if desired. (Yes, it is safe to do this. ) The lead bullet will (usually) take a slightly lighter charge to reach the desired velocity.

Bear in mind the minimum loads listed for 185 jacleted are going to be mouse fart rounds anyways.... so for lead they'll probably be "slightly above mouse fart" range.

If you don't have a chronograph, now's the time to get one.

-Mike

Lyman cast manual has about a dozen different powders for a lead 185.
Unique starting 5.0 max 7.5
231 starting 3.9 max 6.0

1.080" OAL

Also try calling the powder manufacturers as they probably have loads even if they are not listed on their websites.

I use two different loads for my 185 LSWCs.
4.8 gr Red Dot @ 1.250 OAL produces about 168 power factor for USPSA Major.
3.8 gr Red Dot @ 1.250 OAL produces about 130 power factor for punching paper and knockdown steel.

I have to respring the my guns to shoot either of those loads to avoid stove pipes, Kimber Governmant 1911s.

I use 12-14 pound recoil spring with the 168 PF loads and
a 9 pound recoil spring for the 130 PF mouse farts.

Titegroup is the closest on the burn rate chart to Red Dot, with W231 and Unique being quite a bit slower.

You will find the burn rate chart here: http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

I used to use 185 SWC over Red Dot in my Para, back when I had it. No respringing required.

I could probably find the load data if you need it, but I used the old Lee manual, plus the on-line data from Hercules.

RICH,
My two favorite loads used in my S&W 945 with the 185 gr. LSWC are as follows:
3.8 gr. HS-700x Rem 2.5 ca 720 fps, very ,ild and acurate but a bit smoky
3.8 gr. VV N-310, WLP, ca 800 fps, accurate out to 50 yards and clean burning.
I have also chronographed additional loads in my S&W 945 with the Star 185 gr. LSWCHP as follows:
4.0 gr. WSt, WLP, ca 780 fps
4.1 gr. American Select, WLP, ca 750 fps
3.9 gr. Bullseye, WLP, ca 750 fps
3.6 gr. Clay, WLP, ca 750 fps
3.8 gr. Clays, WLP, ca 780 fps
If you drop me a note I can send you the pages from the W-W 14th Edition and Alliant 2005 reloading manuals.

Tony,

Thanks for the offer! I want to pick up a manual that has some of this load data myself. I may take a look at the Lyman cast manual.

I did check those two powder companies online references, they seem to have jacketed and not lead SWC in 185 gr. I wonder why?

YOU CAN USE JAC LOADS FOR LEAD AS THE FRICTION IS LESS AND you get a little more vel.I use 3.6 of 700x with 200 grSWC.all three of my guns work with this and use standard springs.

Back
Top Bottom