45 acp, which one?

Where there once was a man in the mountain
Barb and I want a 45 acp (keep in mind we're in NH, so MA rules don't apply).

Uses will be for mostly:
pin shooting
target shooting

secondary use may be for HD.

So something accurate
Something heavy (to help with multiple shots)
Something with a larger capacity
Prefer something that can handle +P or other major loads (for pin shooting).

We love the feel and trigger on a nice 1911 (such as the Kimber Gold Match II), but they are mostly single stack so 7-8 rounds.

Is this overkill? Should I go with a S&W or Springfield 1911 and then 'upgrade' it?

Should we save money and consider something like an XD 45 tactical 5 inch? But these are not as heavy as a full 1911 and the trigger is no where as nice, but they have larger capacity.

Others say H&K.

Or what else should I consider???

There are so many choices in 45 ACP that it's tough to narrow down.

I know everyone will list their favorite, but feel free to make suggestions, but tell me why you think a particular suggestion is a good choice.

Have you looked at the Sig P220. I had one in stainless. Great shooter, stainless was heavy for my liking but a lot of people love them.

S&W 1911 full size steel is very nice. Handles regular or +P loads with ease (you can't feel the difference). The weight really soaks up all the recoil, and it feeds anything. You can buy 10 round mags for it if you like. And you can pick from most any 1911 accessories out there since it's mostly compatible with Colt aside from the extractor and firing pin safety. Oh, and of course it's Mass. AG approved [smile] so you can buy one anywhere, unlike Kimbers and Springers.

ETA: Woops, I see you're in NH, so you can buy anything... wish I were there.

Last edited:
I went the Springfield GI route with upgrades, did the main spring and trigger, a little clean up of the sear and it ended up about 4lbs.

Super happy with it

You know I'm going to say 1911 [wink]

Since you are in a free state you have more choices. Although I have three Series I Kimbers and one of them is my usual carry gun, I'm simply not a fan of the Series II Kimbers. The Swartz style safety simply isn't reliable enough, and they've gone through at least three different designs on their external extractor trying to get it to work right. Skip the Kimber.

S&W also has the Swartz style safety, so I'd skip that too, although it is probably more reliable than Kimber.

Personally, I'd suggest three choices:

1) basic Springfield Armory, and budget for a gunsmith to change sights, thumb safety, etc.
2) Springfield Armory Loaded and leave it as is until you decide what you like.
3) High dollar semi-custom like a Wilson Combat.

As for HK, skip it. I have an HK USPc in .45 (previously had one in .40, too). They are reliable and reasonably accurate, but the triggers just suck. Also a double-stack HK .45 may have a grip circumference that is too large for medium sized hands.

H&K .45

My preference is H&K's. Love 'em, they shoot great and are both accurate and heavy enough for your liking. Plus they come with standard magazine capacities of 12 rounds (full size USP and HK45), and the compact (in name only, as it is not as compact as some other brands) carry 8 rounders. Look into the Tactical series of the USP line, both have extended match grade barrels(sp?) for better accuracy. Although I know NOTHING about them, Para Ordanance is advertising the SuperHawg. A full sized .45 ACP, 5 inch match bbl., and available in single stack or double stack mags. Have seen the ad on back cover of Shotgun News for the past few issues or so. BUT, as I said before, (in my best Sgt Schultz voice) I KNOW NOTHING! about Para's. I know that Kimber made a double stack .45 ACP (and maybe still do), I think it had a polymer frame if i'm not mistaken. There are a few guys on here who own a few Kimbers, and they're better suited to answer your queswtions about them than I. Although I have NO doubts about Kimber Quality. Hope this helps in your search. Best of luck.

If you really have an issue with the trigger, - which is what 1911 girly men always complain about, ( i think they have atrophy of the index finger issues) - , you can send it to HK and have them do the LEM conversion. But I highly doubt you'll ever need that.
I've shot an HK with an LEM trigger. It simply isn't as good as even the HK single action trigger. Neither can compare to a well-tuned 1911 trigger.

Regarding grip circumferance, the pistol also has interchangeable backstraps. Something you'll never find on a 1911.
Just not needed on a 1911. It has a small grip circumference.

10+1 capacity is also a huge bonus.
10+1 versus 8+1? Big woop.

You also get a safety / decocker lever instead of that assinine cocked & locked design feature that keeps the hammer back on a chambered round.
Carrying hammer down with that loooonnnggg heavy first shot and short, light second shot? No thanks. If I carried my HK USPc, I'd carry it cocked and locked.

HK45 also has an ambidexterous mag release under the trigger guard designed in such a way that you cannot accidentally drop your magazine while carrying, — the way you can with a 1911. Snug a 1911 too close to your hip, and when you go to draw... oops! No magazine!
1) The ambi magazine is harder for me to reach than the 1911 mag release. I can do it with my index finger, but I find it awkward and more error prone.

2) Most handguns (e.g., Glock, Sig, S&W, Beretta, etc., etc., etc.) use the same style magazine release as a 1911. I have NEVER had my magazine release get depressed. This is simply a non-issue.

The polymer recoil reduction buffer on the spring and guide really reduces muzzle rise, and lets you reseat on target lot better than any 1911 platform, too.
Um, no. My HK USPc has far more muzzle rise than my Kimber Compact. Full-size, all-steel 1911s have low bore axis and very little muzzle rise.

Is the HK likely to be more reliable than a 1911 out of the box? Sure, that I'll grant you. But not the rest.

MAlthough I know NOTHING about them, Para Ordanance is advertising the SuperHawg. A full sized .45 ACP, 5 inch match bbl., and available in single stack or double stack mags. Have seen the ad on back cover of Shotgun News for the past few issues or so. BUT, as I said before, (in my best Sgt Schultz voice) I KNOW NOTHING! about Para's.
I have an early ParaOrdnance P14. Skip Para's.

I have a custom Series 70 that I'd never part with from way back. I also have a Sig220. I've shot a bunch of the Kimbers and I also like them a lot.

I take my Sig out much more often than the Colt.

Paras are horrible. And after they break, their customer service is even worse. Para is the only company out there worse than Taurus.

Para's are to be avoided. I had a Carry 12 .45 ACP that had the hammer shear in half at the range after less that 500 rounds.
I will NEVER trust a Para again

I have a HK45C that I love and carry... as a somewhat famine resistant female. I like the 1911s too, but while I'll shoot a magazine or two from the 1911 I gravitate back to my HK45C. I'm a semi-newbie, in this whole thing for only a couple years, so the nuances of the trigger are still lost on me. Until I meet a gun with a really crappy or really heavy trigger of course. I love that the HK45 and the HK45C have the built in recoil reduction. I don't think the USPs have that, so a comparison between the two styles is flawed.

Paras are horrible. And after they break, their customer service is even worse. Para is the only company out there worse than Taurus.

Hey hey ...easy Timber your gonna hurt my feelings [laugh] ... I have a Long Slide 24/7 "Pro" Taurus in 45acp and to be honest although I've only put 150 rds thru it to date...have'nt had one issue with it and actually kind of like shooting it . I know Taurus tends to get a bad rep from alot of people but well so far nothing but good from me . . Not going to praise it up and down but for a good HD pistol and good plinker , I'm more than happy with it .

It's decently balanced , accurate and honestly fits my hands pretty damn good .. trigger pull is decent far from the best but decent .. oh and has no issue with emptying 12 rounds of .45 without a hiccup

So for the under $400 bills I picked it up for Im a happy Taurus customer . . Although I sure do want me a Kimber or Wilson one of these days [smile]

Just my .02 cents

Rob

The HK45 is a great choice, just remember that you can't shoot lead through its polygonal barrel. This may be a factor if ammo cost is an issue.

The Sig 220 is also a great choice. It is a good all around pistol that will do just about everything pretty well. The only issue here is a relatively short sight radius which may impact ultimate accuracy.

Honestly, I'd look for a used Smith and Wesson 1911 of all-steel construction. The SW warranty is second to none and you will save enough money buying used to pick up a SW M&P 45 or a Glock 21 (also no lead with the Glock).

Chris

I'm an H&K and Sig guy, myself. I've fired the USPc .45 and loved it, and shot the P220 and loved it. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Have to agree with Wheelgun that the basic S&W M1911 comes loaded. Plus, it is very accurate out-of-the-box. Every std model w/fixed sights was right on target at 25 feet, in fact the only S&W M1911 that I ever had a problem with was the one with adjustable sights.

Second option would be the Para-Ordnance GI which lists for $600 (I believe) but it has far fewer features.

dd

Back
Top Bottom