• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 ACP small primer brass

rocket500

NES Member
Popped off a bunch of factory Federal 45 ACP yesterday, all same type, box, etc.

Except when I was tossing the spent brass in my ultrasonic cleaner I noticed one box worth (but only one box worth) were of the small primer variety.

Weird part is that the other 3 boxes were large primer.

This is all because of "non-toxic" primers (the explosive is too brisant to be put into large primers). Hippies ruin everything.

I don’t shoot/reload 45 but was just curious if large primer 45 is the most common or is it 50/50? I always hear fellow reloaders complain about it but I’ve never had to encounter this problem since I don’t reload 45.[laugh]

I don’t shoot/reload 45 but was just curious if large primer 45 is the most common or is it 50/50? I always hear fellow reloaders complain about it but I’ve never had to encounter this problem since I don’t reload 45.[laugh]
It's like 95/5.

Just enough to ruin it for everyone.

Hippies ruin everything.
I was hoping you were going with millennials. [laugh]

I don’t shoot/reload 45 but was just curious if large primer 45 is the most common or is it 50/50? I always hear fellow reloaders complain about it but I’ve never had to encounter this problem since I don’t reload 45.
I haven't seem many small primers as of late on the occasions I buy factory .45's, thankfully.

The hippies are in charge now (being in their 60’s and 70’s) and they have screwed the world up beyond repair. I’d take a millennial over a hippie any day. At least they can fly a drone. But I digress. Off topic.

The BS Federal "Champion" they sell at Walmart sometimes comes with small primers... sometimes a whole box, other times mixed in with large.

Folks around here will tell you it's the same stuff as Federal Premium or American Eagle though, and saying otherwise is just gunshop sales nonsense.

[banghead]

Last edited:

For 1 5 gal bucket of lpp .45, I might get half a coffee can of spp.
I've been meaning to get around to put a set of calipers to the newer sig 1911 I have and compare to one of the old 1911's and see if theres a difference in firing pins.
Something tells me a lot of the newer .45's produced come through, or will be coming through with, a firing pin or striker similar to the 9mm/ 38 super pins.

Let's get back to this topic if you will, can I load small primer with the same load dynamics as large primer? I don't think I have ever seen a load chart that specifically states large or small primer is acceptable.

Yes, same load.

Before 8 shot minor revolvers became the rage in USPSA and 6 shot 45 major was the standard, small primer cases were preferred by some shooters because the Federal small pistol primers are the softest, even compared to Federal large pistol primers, and provided the most reliable ignition for their super light tuned triggers.

I have a slightly different outlook on this odd casing configuration.
While I do not like it, I can see a use for it. That is why I keep a couple of gallon baggies of it around, unloaded.
If things ever get weird and all I have is small pistol primers on my shelf, (and the supply chain has dried up)
I know I can load .45acp. They are more of a "preps" thing...

I have been saving them. Either for hard times like above or when they become all the rage and i can sell them.

Let's get back to this topic if you will, can I load small primer with the same load dynamics as large primer? I don't think I have ever seen a load chart that specifically states large or small primer is acceptable.

Same load for SOME loads. I had a load that I believe was using Unique if I remember right that worked fine with LPP but would not cycle the gun with SPP brass. I would not expect SPP to be a direct replacement for your LPP load, you gotta test it and see if it performs the same.

I have a ton of Federal small primer .45 and just throw them into a separate box when sorting. I have two Dillon SDB’s, one for .45 and one for 9mm so all I have to do is swap in the SPP primer system when I want to do a batch of those in .45. No biggy, and like Brian W said above, they’re great for matches where you may not have time to pick up your brass.

ETA: It is a pain when they’re once fired virgins though, because you have to ream out the primer pocket a few turns to get the primer to seat nicely.

Like .45 Collector. I put the small primer brass aside. When I have enough I load them up on my small primer 550 and use them at a match where I'm not likely to get my brass back.

Back
Top Bottom