.45 ACP revolvers?

That gun would NOT take a lot of full power loads without developing severe end shake so I scrapped the idea of competing with carry gear.

Were you getting cylinder binding? I noticed binding when shooting lead and found that crud was getting between the cylinder and the barrel face. I had presumed this had to do with the large amount of freebore on the 45 ACP. I had some pretty severe forcing cone leading too. I hadn't thought of endshake due to recoil b/c this was effectively the same N-frame platform as the .44 Mag (Model 329).

So onto the revolvers. Any thoughts here? I've learned that with a good holster, belt and mindset, you can pretty easily conceal a Howitzer, if you so choose, so sizing isnt a concern.

The S&W 325 is pretty easy/comfortable to conceal and reloading w/ moonclips is fast. Even though its an N-frame, with the exception of the cylinder, its relatively thin. If you get the cylinder below your belt line, its very secure and comfortable.

Last edited:
In the winter time and fall, and casually dressed I regularly carry a Model 22 Thunder Ranch edition. With the fixed sights and pencil barrel it conceals well under a vest or a jacket in a De Santis belt holster. I'm not bothered by the weight. Truthfully, although I have other .45's, in different configurations, this is my favorite. Reloads with moon clips are pretty easy, and I have found this revolver to be accurate and easy to shoot.

To each their own, but as Clint Smith says: "revolvers are real guns..."

I'd also have to confess that I probably most frequently carry a J frame Smith and Wesson, of the several handguns that I use for concealed carry.

Were you getting cylinder binding? I noticed binding when shooting lead and found that crud was getting between the cylinder and the barrel face. I had presumed this had to do with the large amount of freebore on the 45 ACP. I had some pretty severe forcing cone leading too. I hadn't thought of endshake due to recoil b/c this was effectively the same N-frame platform as the .44 Mag (Model 329).

The S&W 325 is pretty easy/comfortable to conceal and reloading w/ moonclips is fast. Even though its an N-frame, with the exception of the cylinder, its relatively thin. If you get the cylinder below your belt line, its very secure and comfortable.

The problem I had was cylinder end shake to the point it was hitting the forcing cone. I took care of the problem by stretching the barrel of the Yoke but it happened again. I did a final repair and sold the gun. It iwas obvious it was not made for a lot of heavy use.

To my friend GAMMON: You will be pleased to know that Charter Arms will be making a Bulldog in 45ACP this coming year according to the company President. They currently manufacture between 10,000 and 12,000 Bulldog units a year in various calibers. I never realized they sold that many.

In E mail, Mr. Ecker was very helpful. I am hoping to meet him on one of his trips to my area.

Last edited:
The problem I had was cylinder end shake to the point it was hitting the forcing cone. I took care of the problem by stretching the barrel of the Yoke but it happened again. I did a final repair and sold the gun. It iwas obvious it was not made for a lot of heavy use.

To my friend GAMMON: You will be pleased to know that Charter Arms will be making a Bulldog in 45ACP this coming year according to the company President. They currently manufacture between 10,000 and 12,000 Bulldog units a year in various calibers. I never realized they sold that many.

In E mail, Mr. Ecker was very helpful. I am hoping to meet him on one of his trips to my area.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the Charter Arms .45 ACP revolver is designed (or was, the last time I checked) to do away with the full moon clip. This revolver will handle 45 ACP rounds without any clip. What a mistake! My dream gun is a 45 ACP snubby that employs the full moon clip and I would much prefer that it be made by S&W. All SS construction would be a good idea to handle the wear and tear of the 45 round and give the shooter a break on recoil. I don't think the extra weight would be a problem.

I have been really thinking a lot about CCW lately now that I've been doing it for a few months. I ended up trading a few guns and arrived at a walther pps I picked up in trade from a NESer - great weapon, I can't find many faults with it and it conceals well. Most importantly, after a few times at the range and really working with the short sight radius, I am able to hit the target and feel good with it.

But...

my brain wanders a lot and I've been thinking more and more about revolvers. I do have a model 60 that Id never get rid of - its accurate and reminds me of my grandfather, who carried one with him as a BPD Detective in the 60s and 70s. Ive never cared for the price point of the .357 round and have always preferred, due to the reams of anecdotal evidence in articles and from my own father, who carried a 1911 in Vietnam, the .45ACP round...which is great, but no matter the work I've done to my RIA piece, I'll always have it on my mind if its going to jam at a critical moment.

So onto the revolvers. Any thoughts here? I've learned that with a good holster, belt and mindset, you can pretty easily conceal a Howitzer, if you so choose, so sizing isnt a concern. Im not yet immediately enamored with the SW Governor, although it does meet a lot of my initial requirements in a weapon. Because the judge won't pack the .45 ACP, its out of the running...I have eyed the model 625 a few times and may hunt one down at the next gun show....does anyone have any experience carrying a .45 ACP revolver? What are my choices?

Everyone I know that has a .45 Revolver uses it for competition or as a target gun. The N frame is just not that comfortable to carry and why deal with all that bulk and be handicaped in number of rounds. Just curious, why not just use the money you'd be spending on this gun to get a good 1911 that works 100% and get rid of the RIA that you don't trust?

Everyone I know that has a .45 Revolver uses it for competition or as a target gun. The N frame is just not that comfortable to carry and why deal with all that bulk and be handicaped in number of rounds. Just curious, why not just use the money you'd be spending on this gun to get a good 1911 that works 100% and get rid of the RIA that you don't trust?

Well, you don't know me. I carry a .45 Revolver (N frame Smith) because I like it. I have several 1911's...which I don't use as carry guns, because I like a clean draw, no thumb safety to disengage (not a big deal for many, but an issue with me).

Not everyone sees the 1911 as the end all and be all in combat handgunnery. Six rounds versus 8 isn't that big of a deal. If I want a higher capacity, I'll my carry MP 45 which gives me 11 rounds.

Carrying an N frame may be something that you don't want to do, on the other hand I have no issue with it. (Note: usually not a summer carry gun, I'll give you that)

Well, you don't know me. I carry a .45 Revolver (N frame Smith) because I like it. I have several 1911's...which I don't use as carry guns, because I like a clean draw, no thumb safety to disengage (not a big deal for many, but an issue with me).

Not everyone sees the 1911 as the end all and be all in combat handgunnery. Six rounds versus 8 isn't that big of a deal. If I want a higher capacity, I'll my carry MP 45 which gives me 11 rounds.

Carrying an N frame may be something that you don't want to do, on the other hand I have no issue with it. (Note: usually not a summer carry gun, I'll give you that)

You are absolutely correct, I don't know you so you are not part of my subject sample. The other maybe 20-30 folks I know that own .45 ACP revolvers do as I stated. I also never stated that a 1911 is the end all to CC options, I normally CC one of several different versions of the 1911 as well as HK P2000, a Walther PPK and in one sole occassion my old S&W Mountain Gun in .44 Mag because it seemed appropriate for the situation. I'm just curious as to why someone (the OP) would hold on to a gun when he has doubts about it's reliability and while 9 rounds of .45 acp vs. 6 is not a deal breaker for many, that combined with the extra bulk of that huge cylinder and frame make the gun a non-starter for me and many, with you and some others as exceptions to the rule.

Back
Top Bottom