• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 ACP reloading issue.

I have been out of shooting for a few years. I just got back into it and I mostly shoot 40 S&W in USPSA but have gotten the 45 bug again.

My issue seems to be with case sizing or over all length. I resize a 45 case and it fits properly into a case gauge but after I load it, it won’t go in all the way. I have played with bullet seat length and the taper crimp. Same issues. I cut the case back to .888", as the Lyman reloading book suggests, it goes into the gauge too far.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I have been out of shooting for a few years. I just got back into it and I mostly shoot 40 S&W in USPSA but have gotten the 45 bug again.

My issue seems to be with case sizing or over all length. I resize a 45 case and it fits properly into a case gauge but after I load it, it won’t go in all the way. I have played with bullet seat length and the taper crimp. Same issues. I cut the case back to .888", as the Lyman reloading book suggests, it goes into the gauge too far.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
what gauge? Ever check your gauges with gauges?
Personally I would double check your trim length and data just to be sure
size and load your ammo to your data and use the pistol your going to use them as your chamber gauge. I have been meaning to chamber cast a case gauge I have to see what comes out.
Its not "right" for sure. I bought it used and the manufacture wanted proof of sale before doing anything about it. O well

Remember though theres a lot of different specs involved
Your gauge is basically a chamber so it should be .898" min with a Max of .920" per SAAMI your CASE max length is .898" with a -.010" allowance or min of .888"
So if your case gauge is made correctly your .888" trimmed cases will fall a bit more into the gauge.
Case mouth max dia .4730"
Now toss in all the different bullet choices and the spec variances with the bullets and you can have some fun, use your pistols chambers as gauges.

SAAMI has a whole section on gauges also.....

headspace cartridge and case specs- page 56

Last edited:
what gauge? Ever check your gauges with gauges?
Personally I would double check your trim length and data just to be sure
size and load your ammo to your data and use the pistol your going to use them as your chamber gauge. I have been meaning to chamber cast a case gauge I have to see what comes out.
Its not "right" for sure. I bought it used and the manufacture wanted proof of sale before doing anything about it. O well
This is good point I’be read of people having issues with case gauges. I also like to use the barrel I’m going to be shooting them outa. No better gauge than ur barrel. Sounds like ur prolly not crimping enough or seating too long.

Thanks for your comments.

The case gauge is a brand new Dillon gauge.

I am loading Montana Gold 185 grain JHP.

I am using a RCBS progressive press with RCBS dies. The same set up I used many many years ago.

I should have added, not all the cases I have used have this issue. Some load fine and fit the gauge perfectly.

I also tried the "failed" bullets in my 45 barrel and they don't fit.

I guess my biggest issue is how the cartridge fit the gauge empty but not loaded. It has to be a crimp issue, wouldn't you agree?

Are you seating and crimping in one operation? Separate the two and a lot of issues go away.

Use your chamber - Hornady gauges are f'n tighter than hell.
Lyman gauges are a little better but the best gauge is the tightest chamber in your guns.
yes, crimp and seat all in one motion. I will have to try that.

Could be crimp
Are you seating and crimping in one step?
How is your belling?
Are the failed rounds one headstamp?
What's the measurements at the mouth and 0.030"behind?

yes, crimp and seat all in one motion. I will have to try that.
It's very easy to screw up a round this way.
185's are short so there isn't much time for the seating plug to align the bullet before the taper crimp squeezes things down.
If your bell is a little too light then the bullet can be a little skewed and end up out of concentric with a slight bulge

230 gr LRN. Sized .452 and lubed. Taper crimp to .465. Works for me in the five .45 subguns and Colt 1911s. For different guns, your results could vary. But by not too much. What's this "case gauge" thingy? Jack.
case gauge , attempt to eliminate the dial caliper.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
What brand of brass is giving you issues? I know in 9mm there are some brands of brass that don’t play well with heavy (long) bullets. Creates a bulge and they won’t chamber.

I also shoot USPSA and don’t even own a case gauge lol. Just use my guns barrel once in awhile.

It's very easy to screw up a round this way.
185's are short so there isn't much time for the seating plug to align the bullet before the taper crimp squeezes things down.
If your bell is a little too light then the bullet can be a little skewed and end up out of concentric with a slight bulge
I had a slight problem like this and I ended up modifying my seating plug to go deeper around the bullet before stating the "press" into the case.
Reminds me I need to modify some "blank" top punches for my 6.5 swede bullets.

I apologize if this has been mentioned but I do not have time to read all the replies. What ever the reason the problem should be fixed with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have them in both 45ACP and 9MM. I put one in my Rockchucker while reloading on my progrssive and anything that comes off the press and doesn't gauge goes into it and it is fixed. (FYI most of my issues are because of very hard brass (Aguila, Remington) that never size properly in the sizer/decap die or don't flare enough for seating the bullet so it bulges when seated.) I shoot CZ's that have very tight chamber tolerances and these are invaluable to me.

I had a slight problem like this and I ended up modifying my seating plug to go deeper around the bullet before stating the "press" into the case.
Reminds me I need to modify some "blank" top punches for my 6.5 swede bullets.
I've turned powder through expanders for a few calibers.
Top punch for sizing or seating?

I apologize if this has been mentioned but I do not have time to read all the replies. What ever the reason the problem should be fixed with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have them in both 45ACP and 9MM. I put one in my Rockchucker while reloading on my progrssive and anything that comes off the press and doesn't gauge goes into it and it is fixed. (FYI most of my issues are because of very hard brass (Aguila, Remington) that never size properly in the sizer/decap die or don't flare enough for seating the bullet so it bulges when seated.) I shoot CZ's that have very tight chamber tolerances and these are invaluable to me.

FCD is a bandaid for a bad round in most cases.
CZ's are notorious for overly tight chambers but if your brass isn't sizing right, get an undersize die. Molesting your bullet after the fact doesn't replace getting it right to start.
My position is based on loading mostly cast bullets where the FCD is always the wrong tool.

As pastera said that's just a bandaid. I used a Lee FCD for 9mm for years and then switched to a taper crimp die. Works fine.
I also shoot CZ's for what that's worth.

Are you verifying the brass is not bulged in the case gauge beforehand? I have had "Glocked" brass bulge just enough to not seat fully.

Another possibility is that you may not be expanding the case mouth enough and the force of seating is bulging the brass.

I've turned powder through expanders for a few calibers.
Top punch for sizing or seating?
sizing, had a custom size die made and a few "blank" top punches. Just need to fill them with epoxy and mold the tip of the bullet to them.

Crazy question but did you check the diameter of the bullets with a mic?
Wouldn’t surprise me if it were oversized.

Run a black sharpie over the finished cartridge and do the plunk test in your barrel. See if you can see rub marks where it’s interfering.

Resizing the brass and checking it in the gauge will show that the sizing die works.
So it must be another step.

Check your crimp at the case mouth as was suggested above. Make sure the crimp is taking out the flare and not any more.
Case mouth .010” bullet .452” should have .472”

If not then adjust the crimp down till you’re there.

If that’s not the issue then the bullet is causing a bulge somewhere in that case.

Like Pastera said check this with a mic. Deep seating a bullet can cause bulge deeper in the case. The thicker tapered wall of the brass might be .013” thick there which makes a .478” diameter jamming tight in the chamber.

I still use mine as a quick check - jacketed gauges unless there is a real issue. Cast I know where it will sit and be fine in my guns
I have had so many cast bullet loads not fit in cartridge gauges but fit just fine in the pistol's chamber, the culprit is the shoulder in cast bullets in my experience with 230 grain LRN being the worst culprit.

I'm with all that recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Die. 45acp auto is the taper . I would have the same issue with some rounds not dropping completely into the gauge , you can do the plunk test using your chamber and the case would drop in fine . I read some positive articles on the die and gave it a try , the rounds that didn't seat fully in the gauge after running it into the Lee FCD it corrected any imperfections. My system is seating the bullet in a slightly flared case then finish with the Lee Factory Crimp die ( taper) . Every case dropped into the case gauge.

I'm with all that recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Die. 45acp auto is the taper . I would have the same issue with some rounds not dropping completely into the gauge , you can do the plunk test using your chamber and the case would drop in fine . I read some positive articles on the die and gave it a try , the rounds that didn't seat fully in the gauge after running it into the Lee FCD it corrected any imperfections. My system is seating the bullet in a slightly flared case then finish with the Lee Factory Crimp die ( taper) .

I'm with all that recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Die. 45acp auto is the taper . I would have the same issue with some rounds not dropping completely into the gauge , you can do the plunk test using your chamber and the case would drop in fine . I read some positive articles on the die and gave it a try , the rounds that didn't seat fully in the gauge after running it into the Lee FCD it corrected any imperfections. My system is seating the bullet in a slightly flared case then finish with the Lee Factory Crimp die ( taper) . Every case dropped into the case gauge.
You can get away with this when it's a jacketed bullet in a bulged case from improper expanding or one step seat/crimp.
Figure out what is actually wrong and the FCD loses most of it's value.

Back
Top Bottom