• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 ACP Question

Sorry if this is a dupe but I couldn't find anything on my search.
I recently started reloading again and do mostly 45. when inspecting my brass I noticed some had small primers (blazer). My question is are there any other companies that I should look for? I find it easier to look at the head stamp rather than measuring every one. That said is there a better way of identifying the small from large primers?

Thanks in advance
Wade

If I'm not mistaken, your not supposed to reload blazers.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to Blazer Brass, not the Al variety.......

A quick Google search seems to indicate that a number of manufacturers are using the small primers to an extent (Federal, Fiocchi, CCI, Winchester, etc.). Not sure there's a definitive resource.

Some Blazer ammo is brass and fine to reload.

Don't waste time pre-sorting the small/large primer brass (assuming you have a high large-to-small ratio). When the press comes to a hard premature stop on the priming stroke, just take out that case and toss it. You won't blow up anything or be able to squeeze a large primer into a small pocket.

Yeah I am with Bill, you may be able to sort but if your doing volume just toss it or place aside lol when you run into one.

If you do want to sort it though, I guess you could make a feeler gauge out of brass rod. You could sort your brass while watching tv.

Most of the ammo head stamped with "NT" (Non-Toxic) uses small primers. I've run into Federal and Winchester that are like that.

Yes, I was reffering to Blazer Brass. That was the only brand I found so far there were 49 in about 800+/- rounds. All the rest even the ones TBalls listed were all large. That's where I stopped. I was thinking the same thing to just run and toss when I ran into one but I figured I would ask because I haven't reloaded anything in nearly 20 years and this community has been great for info.
Thanks Again!

I can tell by the inside of the case even after tumbling. I use to sort through the brass one by one, but that gets old quick. Now as I'm watching the shell make it's way around the press, the federal's (99% of my small primer brass) are blatantly yellow on the inside compared to all of the other brass, so I'll pull them out. You'll also notice if you do want to sort one by one, most of the brass from the same companys have a different colored primer. So Large primer federal is more silvery and their small primer is a darker bronze color.

I just look at the primer just before I place the case in the shell holder. It takes one second and there is no measuring required - the difference is obvious. If I ever get enough that use the small primer I will load them in a batch.

I have very little experience with reloading, so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here, but is there anything wrong with reloading .45 brass with small primer pockets (using small pistol primers) rather than tossing them?

I have very little experience with reloading, so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here, but is there anything wrong with reloading .45 brass with small primer pockets (using small pistol primers) rather than tossing them?

No. But you'll have to sort them and then switch your press from large to small primers.

Small primer 45 ACP brass is the spawn of the devil.

Some Blazer ammo is brass and fine to reload.

Don't waste time pre-sorting the small/large primer brass (assuming you have a high large-to-small ratio). When the press comes to a hard premature stop on the priming stroke, just take out that case and toss it. You won't blow up anything or be able to squeeze a large primer into a small pocket.

If you use a progressive I would sort them. Less headaches.

-tapatalk blows chunks-

Letting the machine sort your brass (pressure on the operating handle) doesn't work with some reloaders. By the time I notice the increase in operating handle pressure on my 1050, I am already screwed. Small primer brass must be culled before use on a 1050.

I thought small primer 45 ACP brass was useless until I spoke with a top revolver competitor. He told me that the small primers were easier to ignite and used this brass in matches. This info was relayed to me just after I got rid of about 500 of these cases. Live and learn.

I have been "painfully" pre-sorting my large and small primer .45 brass. I will usually stay on one or the other when I reload and only switch over once its used up.

If you use a progressive I would sort them. Less headaches.

-tapatalk blows chunks-

Headaches? I agree with Gammon's point about how it's a bad idea on the 1050. But it works every time on my 550. You just pull the case out and keep going.

Again, it depends. If you have a 50/50 mix of large and small brass, you'd obviously pre-sort. But usually it's a few small cases contaminating a bucket full of normal cases.

I get a fair amount of .45 ACP range brass given to me. I think it comes from PD qualification and much of it is small primer. I look at the bottom of the case before placing it onto the shell plate. I have a pretty good pile of it sorted out now. I'll keep it and load it if needed, or I may give it to a revolver shooter.

Thanks for all the responses! I went through the rest of the brass 5k+. Ended up with just under 500 small primer. I do run a progressive and just didn't want the aggrevation. All were Blazer Brass no other head stamps. Isn't chucking brass taboo? I will be saving the smalls just waiting until I round up another 500 or so before I reload those though. Now its time to lock myself in the basement after a trip to Plymouth Saturday of course![smile]

Use the small primer .45 brass as throwaways for when you're doing an event where you can't pick it up.

Or get enough of it and give it to a friend who shoots wheelguns. Supposedly the small primers light off easier.

-Mike

Last edited:
What's the start up cost of reloading soup to nuts?

For handgun, you'll want to get a progressive press. You can probably get what you need for around $750. Take a reloading class with EddieCoyle first. You will learn whether it is right for you and what you need without having spent a ton of money.

With 5 gr of Bullseye under a 200 gr cast bullet, I'm loading them for 5 c per shot right now. The cheapest I've seen in the store lately was a box of 100 federal's for $30, so that's 16.7% the cost of factory ammo. Usually it's about $22 per 50, so that's 11.3% the cost of new.

For handgun, you'll want to get a progressive press. You can probably get what you need for around $750. Take a reloading class with EddieCoyle first. You will learn whether it is right for you and what you need without having spent a ton of money.

What brand is that? Do you recommend buying from a retail store and if so which one?

The two brands to consider are Dillon and Hornady. Each have their adherents. Most people buy directly from the manufacturer.

I've been finding federal factory ammo with small pistol primers recently, its like these guys dont want you to reload it or at least they dont want to make it easy for you.

Since I started this post I've come across smalls in several brands like some have said. I'm now at about a 10% small to large maybe a little more.

To answer anothers question without really shopping around I'm saving about 30% over the cheap federal 100 packs @ $30 per. At that rate it doesn't take long to recoup the cost of a press if you're considering it. Last night I did well over 1000 rounds of 40 and figure I save 35%+ on those. I used to do much more in the late 80's and early 90's and just jumped back in earlier this year so I know I'm not saving the full potential right now but I'm learning more from NES every day! Thanks Guys!

Back
Top Bottom