45 acp question

When reloading for 45 acp is it necissary to resize the entire length of the case? If not how much?

I usually do. I have multiple .45s the ammo will be shot through. If your brass was shot from a gun without a fully supported chamber, it will have a little bump near the base. These bump can and will prevent a gun from fully going into battery.

Yes, you need to size the case. Fortunately with modern carbide dies you don't need to lube the cases so it goes quickly.

There are no other options. This is a straight wall pistol case. One can not size just the neck like is being done with some rifle cases. So the answer is - yes, you have to resize the entire case.

With my Lee dies, the first die the case goes through is a sizing/depriming die. I believe that's how a lot of the dies for 45's are setup. So you may have one that's resizing them and not even know it.

Thanks guys, I get that we have to resize, and that its built into my decapping die, just was unclear if we had to do the ENTIRE length of the case or just maybe halfway or 2/3 but now I know, thanks.

Install the shell holder or shell plate on your press ram. Raise the ram to the full upright position.
Screw in the full length resizing die until the bottom of the sizing die firmly touches the shell holder/shell plate. Tighten the locking ring.

That's ALWAYS the process for setting up your 45 ACP sizing die!

Duke - "Full upright position" might not be when the handle is at the end of the swing (e.g., all the way down), right, due to overcamming (in some presses like the Hornady LNL)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom